Can someone with chronic health issues work as an engineer?

In summary, chronic health problems may make it difficult for someone to work as an engineer, but there are a few options available. If you are interested in completing an EE degree online, that is possible, but it is not ideal. If you are interested in pursuing a career as an engineer, it is important to find a school that has a good career counseling office.
JenPerson
Hi, I'm new to these forums so please forgive me if I am posting in the wrong section.

Do you think it's possible for someone with chronic health problems to work as an engineer? More specifically, someone who is a recent cancer survivor who deals with chronic fatigue, gets sick easily, etc?

I'm in my mid 20s and have been getting treated on and off for cancer for the past 4 years. I'm currently enrolled in an EE program (online) and I recently finished my first semester. I have an Associate of Arts degree but not very many of my past courses will transfer. Although I would like to finish the degree, I'm wondering now if it makes sense for me to do so.

Should I finish the degree, even if it's likely I won't be able to work as an engineer?
Should I switch over to a different STEM degree, like IT or something like that?

I suppose I could also not bother getting a degree but that doesn't sound like a wise idea.

Your feedback is very much appreciated, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hopefully you will be better when you graduate.

But then there is the issue of how distance degrees in EE are valued on the labor market. It is one of the reasons why our EE department is not offering their courses for distance learning.

Likes symbolipoint
JenPerson said:
Hi, I'm new to these forums so please forgive me if I am posting in the wrong section.

Do you think it's possible for someone with chronic health problems to work as an engineer? More specifically, someone who is a recent cancer survivor who deals with chronic fatigue, gets sick easily, etc?

I'm in my mid 20s and have been getting treated on and off for cancer for the past 4 years. I'm currently enrolled in an EE program (online) and I recently finished my first semester. I have an Associate of Arts degree but not very many of my past courses will transfer. Although I would like to finish the degree, I'm wondering now if it makes sense for me to do so.

Should I finish the degree, even if it's likely I won't be able to work as an engineer?
Should I switch over to a different STEM degree, like IT or something like that?

I suppose I could also not bother getting a degree but that doesn't sound like a wise idea.

Your feedback is very much appreciated, thank you.

The ADA, FMLA, and other such laws help protect employees from health related discrimination. Most engineering companies don't treat employees as though they work in a widget factory, meaning, as long as you meet deadlines you shouldn't have any issues. This isn't true for everyplace, as some employers still treat you as though you reallllly have to be in at x time, and stay to y time. You should try to negotiate more sick leave/paid time off, possibly in lieu of a higher salary when you start out.

That said, if you show up to interview and say you're going to miss half the year because of medical treatment/issues, you won't get a job.

I'm more concerned you're taking your EE degree online, this seems like a bad way to go about learning engineering. I don't see how you can be trained on various test equipment used in EE fields, or tools, etc. online.

Likes russ_watters, symbolipoint and PietKuip
I think if you can complete an accredited degree in electrical engineering you should be able to work in the field. It may not be as easy for you to find the right job, as someone without chronic health issues, but it won't be impossible. One of the reasons why many employers require a degree in the first place (beyond the specifics of the actual education) is that it serves as a kind of filter. It demonstrates that the person can successfully navigate a beaurocracy, accomplish assigned tasks, work towards a long term goal, and learn independently.

Hmm, so you're all suggesting that if I have the option to do an EE program on campus that that would be the best route?
I'm enrolled in ASU's ABET-accredited online program, but I understand what you guys are saying. Technically I *could* switch over to their on-campus program, it would just make things a little more complicated in some ways. And I'm not much of a fan of Tempe. I suppose though if I want the degree bad enough that I'll put in the sacrifice to get it.

Thank you all for your posts, they were very helpful.

I agreed with everything Student100 said and to add a little; EE is a good option for someone with health limitations because there are career options involving spending a lot of time in an office setting and not on your feet/outside/doing physical work. Also, if your school has a career counseling office, you should go have a talk with someone about your legal rights/responsibilities. As said, there are laws constraining and protecting you and you should be fully versed in what they are. IE, what questions prospective employers can and can't ask and what you are/are not obligated to answer/disclose.
JenPerson said:
Hmm, so you're all suggesting that if I have the option to do an EE program on campus that that would be the best route?
Not having done an online degree I guess I can't say for sure, but I would think that the lack of physical labs and interaction with students/professors would make for missing pieces in the education (how do you even do a senior design project?). However, if it is ABET accredited, it won't look any different on your resume, so you can talk your way around that in an interview.

Good luck with your health.

Likes WWGD

1. Can individuals with chronic health issues become engineers?

Yes, individuals with chronic health issues can become engineers. Many engineers with chronic health conditions successfully manage their conditions and have successful careers in engineering.

2. Are there any limitations for engineers with chronic health issues?

There may be some limitations for engineers with chronic health issues, depending on the specific condition and its impact on the individual's ability to perform certain tasks. However, with accommodations and support, many engineers with chronic health issues are able to work effectively in their roles.

3. Is it difficult for engineers with chronic health issues to find employment?

It may be more challenging for engineers with chronic health issues to find employment, as there may be some employers who are hesitant to hire individuals with health concerns. However, there are also many employers who are willing to provide accommodations and support for employees with chronic health issues.

4. Can engineers with chronic health issues perform the physical tasks required in the field?

This will depend on the individual's specific chronic health condition and its impact on their physical abilities. Some engineering roles may require more physical tasks than others. However, with accommodations and support, many engineers with chronic health issues are able to perform these tasks effectively.

5. Are there any resources available for engineers with chronic health issues?

Yes, there are resources available for engineers with chronic health issues. These may include support groups, accommodations through the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and resources provided by employers such as flexible work arrangements or assistive technology. It is important for individuals to research and utilize these resources to support their success in the engineering field.