Can Studying Medical Physics Abroad Affect Residency Opportunities?

In summary: I don't think residents should be entitled to the same salary as students who have spent four years in school (granted, some residents are very accomplished and deserve to make more than students, but that's a different debate). In summary, you will need to have gone through an accredited residency in order to qualify to write the ABR certification exam. This is possible, but you'll generally be lumped into the "non-accredited" candidate pool. You might want to check with the schools that you're looking at though.
Raioneru
I am a sophomore physics major student. I wish to study medical physics when I graduate.
But I would like to go abroad and study for my Msc in Med Phys. in england or france (I speak french)

but problem is that, in 2 years from now (correct me if I'm wrong) a med phys graduate would have to go to an accredited residency program in order to take the abr board exam.

and I know that residency programs have 1st order preference for accredited graduate, and then for non-accredited graduate.

so my worries are,
I'm going abroad so I will study at a non-campep-acccredited university (even though the University I will go is top notch in france and europe).

getting into a residency programs will be problematic?
studying in a foreign language for the master degree will it be problematic?

thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
By 2014, you will need to have gone through an accredited residency in order to qualify to write the ABR certification exam.

Unfortunately I don't have as much insight into the European system, but if you're doing your studies overseas, there should be no reason you can't do a residency and certification over there as well. If you look at most American medical physicist positions, they require "ABR certification or equivalent."

The other option, as you've suggested, is to get into an accredited residency after being educated abroad. This is possible, but you'll generally be lumped into the "non-accredited" candidate pool. You might want to check with the schools that you're looking at though. It's possible, they may be considering applying for accreditation in the near future.

One might wonder why you would want to do your studies abroad if your eventual goal is to return to work in North America. If you simply want to travel, (who doesn't), there are several other options you might want to consider. One might be simply to travel. Once accepted, there's no reason you can't take a summer off to packpack through Europe. Another option might be to get involved with an international collaboration project and spend a couple summers working overseas. There are also international conferences (lots of people extend their stays when traveling for conferences).

As far as studying in a foreign language - this is all on your shoulders. If you believe you understand the language well enough, there's no reason you shouldn't. Most medical physics publications however, are in English.

Hi again, sorry for the delay (i'm traveling right now: france) thank you for your insight.
I wanted to know regarding residency programs, I read they pay their student? is that true?
if yes, do you have an idea of how much (on average) resident student get paid?

thank you

salaries for medical physics residents vary, but will generally be around the $30-35k/year range

I concur with Imabug. However, there is a very wide distribution. Some residents can push $70-80k/year.

Also (a bit of a soap box issue for me), residents are not students. While they are junior members of the medical physics team and are generally getting 'on the job training', they do an enormous amount of work, and much of that ends up being the mundane jobs that the more senior staff are more than willing to give up.

Related to Can Studying Medical Physics Abroad Affect Residency Opportunities?

1. What is medical physics and why is it important?

Medical physics is a branch of physics that applies principles and techniques of physics to healthcare. It involves the use of radiation and other forms of energy in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases. Medical physics is important because it plays a crucial role in ensuring the safety and effectiveness of medical procedures, such as x-rays and radiation therapy.

2. What are the benefits of studying medical physics abroad?

Studying medical physics abroad can provide students with a unique international experience and exposure to different healthcare systems. It also allows for the opportunity to learn from renowned experts in the field and access to state-of-the-art facilities and equipment. Additionally, studying abroad can enhance cultural understanding and language skills, which are valuable in a globalized world.

3. What are the requirements for studying medical physics abroad?

The specific requirements for studying medical physics abroad may vary depending on the country and university. Generally, students will need to have a strong background in physics, mathematics, and biology. They may also need to demonstrate proficiency in the language of instruction and meet any visa or immigration requirements.

4. Are there any scholarships or financial aid available for studying medical physics abroad?

Yes, there are various scholarships and financial aid opportunities available for students studying medical physics abroad. These may be offered by the university, government, or private organizations. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early, as they may have specific eligibility requirements and deadlines.

5. What are some popular destinations for studying medical physics abroad?

Some popular destinations for studying medical physics abroad include the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, Germany, and the United States. These countries have top universities and research institutes with strong medical physics programs. It is important to research the specific programs and opportunities available at each destination to find the best fit for your academic and career goals.