Can the AstraZeneca vaccine be called also as a DNA vaccine?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between DNA vaccines and the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine, which uses a vector virus to deliver the DNA code for spike proteins of the SARS-CoV2 virus. The question is raised whether the AstraZeneca vaccine can be considered a DNA vaccine as well, but it is concluded that it is better to use the term "adenovirus-vectored vaccine" to avoid confusion. The conversation ultimately agrees to follow international terminology and refer to the AstraZeneca vaccine as a viral vector vaccine.
mktsgm
TL;DR Summary
Can the Oxford–AstraZeneca COVID-19 (viral vector) vaccine also be called a DNA vaccine, since it contains genetic material (DNA) for producing spike proteins of the SARS-CoV2 virus inside the host cell?
In my understanding, in the human host, the Oxford–AstraZeneca vaccine delivers the DNA genetic code for the production of spike proteins of the SARS-CoV2 virus, inside a vector virus. DNA vaccines deliver them through plasmids.

Apart from this delivery mode, is there any difference between the DNA vaccines and Oxford–AstraZeneca (or Sputnik V) vaccine in the mechanism of the production of spike proteins inside the host cell?

If not, can we call the AstraZeneca vector vaccine a DNA vaccine also?

Pardon my silly question, but it is nagging me.

Biology news on Phys.org
It's just a matter of terminology, and as long as one communicates clearly, that is fine. For most purposes, I think it would be better to follow current convention and not call the AstraZeneca (AZ) vaccine a DNA vaccine. The AZ vaccine is usually called an adenovirus-vectored vaccine. I think it is clearer to use that terminology because the way that the DNA gets into cells is presumably different between an adenovirus-vectored vaccine like AZ and a DNA vaccine like ZyCoV-D.

Likes pinball1970
By delivery, it's a viral vector vaccine. By action, it is a DNA vaccine. Even I could discern the confusion. :smile:

Let's follow the international terminology - it is a viral vector vaccine.

Thanks.

1. Can the AstraZeneca vaccine be called a DNA vaccine?

Yes, the AstraZeneca vaccine, also known as the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine, is a type of DNA vaccine.

2. How does the AstraZeneca vaccine work as a DNA vaccine?

The AstraZeneca vaccine works by delivering a small piece of DNA from the coronavirus into the body, which then triggers an immune response to protect against future infections.

3. Are there any other DNA vaccines currently in use?

Yes, there are currently two other DNA vaccines approved for use: the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine and the Moderna vaccine.

4. What are the advantages of using a DNA vaccine like AstraZeneca?

DNA vaccines, like AstraZeneca, can be produced quickly and at a lower cost compared to traditional vaccines. They also have a good safety profile and do not require a live virus, making them suitable for people with weakened immune systems.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with the AstraZeneca DNA vaccine?

As with any vaccine, there may be some mild side effects such as pain or swelling at the injection site, headache, or fatigue. However, these are generally mild and short-lived. There have also been rare cases of blood clots reported, but the benefits of the vaccine far outweigh the potential risks.