Can the entries of a Matrix be elements of an unordered set?

In summary, matrices are typically defined as having entries from a field, but it is possible to have a matrix with entries from an unordered set without operations defined on it. However, in order for the matrix to have the usual matrix operations, the entries must be from a field or commutative ring. If the entries are not from a field or commutative ring, the object can still be called an array but it cannot be considered a matrix. Thus, entries of a matrix must be members of a semiring at the very least.
CSteiner
Most definitions of a matrix that I have seen involve entries that are elements of a field. What if I have a unorderd set with no operations defined on it, say a set of different colored marbles or a set of historical events. Can I have a matrix whose entries are elements of such a set?

Physics news on Phys.org
CSteiner said:
Most definitions of a matrix that I have seen involve entries that are elements of a field. What if I have a unorderd set with no operations defined on it, say a set of different colored marbles or a set of historical events. Can I have a matrix whose entries are elements of such a set?

Fields don't have to be ordered (for example the complex numbers are not).

Fields do have to have addition and multiplication operations defined on them, on which the rules of addition and multiplication of matrices are based.

Of course the concept of an ordered [itex]nm[/itex]-tuple of objects drawn from some set [itex]X[/itex] which is indexed by an integer between 1 and n and a second integer between 1 and m rather than by a single integer between 1 and nm makes sense even if [itex]X[/itex] is not a field.

So essentialy you're saying it is still fine to call it a matrix, but the usual matrix operations are not defined on it?

CSteiner said:
So essentialy you're saying it is still fine to call it a matrix, but the usual matrix operations are not defined on it?

Depends. If your entries are that of a field (or commutative ring in more generality), then you can call it a matrix and it has the usual matrix operations, regardless of whether the field has an order.

micromass said:
Depends. If your entries are that of a field (or commutative ring in more generality), then you can call it a matrix and it has the usual matrix operations, regardless of whether the field has an order.

But if my entries are not members of a field what do I call it?

An array can have whatever entries you want (presumably with some reason for their position in the array). A matrix, however, must have matrix addition and multiplication defined so you must be able to "multiply" and "add" the individual elements of the matrix.

HallsofIvy said:
An array can have whatever entries you want (presumably with some reason for their position in the array). A matrix, however, must have matrix addition and multiplication defined so you must be able to "multiply" and "add" the individual elements of the matrix.

That clears it up, thanks!

HallsofIvy said:

Okay, so I've been doing more reading and I think that based on your criteria we can say that at the very least, entries of a matrix must be members of a semiring. Would you agree with this statement?

Related to Can the entries of a Matrix be elements of an unordered set?

1. Can the entries of a Matrix be elements of an unordered set?

Yes, the entries of a matrix can be elements of an unordered set. In fact, matrices can be composed of any type of element, including numbers, variables, and even other matrices.

2. What is an unordered set?

An unordered set is a collection of distinct elements that do not have a specific order or sequence. This means that the elements can be arranged in any way without affecting the set itself.

3. How is a matrix different from an unordered set?

A matrix is a mathematical structure that is used to organize data in a tabular form. On the other hand, an unordered set is a collection of elements without any particular order. Matrices can be composed of elements from an unordered set, but they are not the same thing.

4. Can a matrix have duplicate entries if the elements are from an unordered set?

Yes, a matrix can have duplicate entries even if the elements are from an unordered set. This is because the set does not have any restrictions on repeating elements, and the matrix is simply a representation of those elements in a tabular form.

5. Are there any limitations on the size of a matrix when the entries are elements of an unordered set?

No, there are no limitations on the size of a matrix when the entries are elements of an unordered set. Matrices can have any number of rows and columns, and the elements can be of any type, as long as they are from the unordered set.