Can this be written in sigma notation: a + ar + ar^2 + + ar^n-1?

In summary, a geometric sequence can be expressed in sigma notation by taking the sum of the first n-1 terms, where n is the number of terms in the sequence. The summation index can be any dummy symbol besides 'n'.
Lebombo

Homework Statement

[tex]a_{1}r^{1} + a_{1}r^{2} + a_{1}r^{3} +... + a_{1}r^{n-3} + a_{1}r^{n-2} + a_{1}r^{n-1} = \sum_{n=1}^{?} a_{1}r^{n-1}[/tex]

What value would replace the "?"

2. The attempt at a solution

EDIT: I edited this post after receiving your reply Cepheid.

My gut would say it is possible, but in thinking about it, it seems there is no way to represent it.

Guess 1)
Perhaps it's not possible to write the general terms of geometric sequences in sigma notation.

If it's not possible to write this in sigma notation, is it because the general term of geometric sequence formula, [itex]a_{1}r^{n-1}[/itex], represents a "term" and not a "function?"

Guess 2)
It is possible to put the general term of geometric sequence formula, [itex]a_{1}r^{n-1}[/itex], into sigma notation. However instead of representing: [tex]a_{1}r^{1} + a_{1}r^{2} + a_{1}r^{3} +... + a_{1}r^{n-3} + a_{1}r^{n-2} + a_{1}r^{n-1} = \sum_{n=1}^{N} a_{1}r^{n-1}[/tex]

It will instead represent this: [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{N} a_{1}r^{n-1} = a_{1}r^{n-1} + a_{1}r^{n-1} + a_{1}r^{n-1} + ... + a_{1}r^{n-1}[/itex] Where [itex]a_{1}r^{n-1}[/itex] is simply repeated N times. Similar to [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{N} 5[/itex] = 5 + 5 + 5 +...+ 5.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Am I missing something? $$a_1 \sum_{i=1}^{n-1} r^i$$

So the summand, [itex]a_1 \sum_{i=1}^{n-1} (summand)[/itex], does not include i-1 in the exponent, but rather the exponent i, while n-1 is written in the upper bound.

Makes sense, so would that mean if the general term of the geometric sequence formula were to be put in the summand, while written in the upper bound was an arbitrary N, as in [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{N} a_{n}r^{n-1}[/itex] , then the outcome would not be a geometric series, but rather a repeating series, where [itex]a_{1}r^{n-1}[/itex] simply repeats just as the number 5 in the summand would simply repeat N times?

And suppose I want to add up the first 10 terms of something like [itex]2^{n}[/itex].

This is written [itex]\sum_{k=1}^{10} 2^{n} = 2^{1} + 2^{2} + 2^{3} + 2^{4} + 2^{5} + 2^{6} + 2^{7} + 2^{8} + 2^{9} + 2^{10}= 2 + 4 + 8 + 16 + 32 + 64 + 128 + 256 + 512 + 1024[/itex]

Since the nth term of a geometric sequence is [tex]a_{n}=a_{1}r^{n-1} = a_1\sum_{i=1}^{n-1} r^i = \sum_{i=1}^{n-1} (2)2^i [/tex]

Does this mean that if I want to add the first 10 terms, where n=10, then the sigma notation would be: [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{10-1} (2)2^i = (2)2^1 + (2)2^2 + (2)2^3 +...+(2)2^9 = 4 + 8+ 16 + ...+ 1024[/itex].

Since the first term in this sequence is 4 rather than 2, perhaps the sigma notation should include a i=0 in the index instead of i=1 to make it 10 total terms in the summation. That is: [tex]a_1 \sum_{i=0}^{n-1} r^i[/tex]

Lebombo said:

Homework Statement

[tex]a_{1}r^{1} + a_{1}r^{2} + a_{1}r^{3} +... + a_{1}r^{n-3} + a_{1}r^{n-2} + a_{1}r^{n-1} = \sum_{n=1}^{?} a_{1}r^{n-1}[/tex]

What value would replace the "?"

2. The attempt at a solution

EDIT: I edited this post after receiving your reply Cepheid.

My gut would say it is possible, but in thinking about it, it seems there is no way to represent it.

Guess 1)
Perhaps it's not possible to write the general terms of geometric sequences in sigma notation.

If it's not possible to write this in sigma notation, is it because the general term of geometric sequence formula, [itex]a_{1}r^{n-1}[/itex], represents a "term" and not a "function?"

Guess 2)
It is possible to put the general term of geometric sequence formula, [itex]a_{1}r^{n-1}[/itex], into sigma notation. However instead of representing: [tex]a_{1}r^{1} + a_{1}r^{2} + a_{1}r^{3} +... + a_{1}r^{n-3} + a_{1}r^{n-2} + a_{1}r^{n-1} = \sum_{n=1}^{N} a_{1}r^{n-1}[/tex]

It will instead represent this: [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{N} a_{1}r^{n-1} = a_{1}r^{n-1} + a_{1}r^{n-1} + a_{1}r^{n-1} + ... + a_{1}r^{n-1}[/itex] Where [itex]a_{1}r^{n-1}[/itex] is simply repeated N times. Similar to [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{N} 5[/itex] = 5 + 5 + 5 +...+ 5.

The summation index is any "dummy symbol" except 'n'; you cannot use 'n' because that is already reserved to specify the last term ##r^{n-1}##. So, if ##S_n## is your sum, we can write
[tex]S_n = \sum_{i=1}^{n-1} a_1 r^i = \sum_{j=1}^{n-1} a_1 r^j = \cdots
=\sum_{\text{anything}=1}^{\text{anything} = n-1} a_1 r^{\,\text{anything}}. [/tex]

What is sigma notation?

Sigma notation is a mathematical shorthand notation that represents a sum of terms in a sequence. It is denoted by the Greek letter sigma (∑) and is commonly used in mathematics and science.

How does sigma notation work?

In sigma notation, the index variable (usually represented by the letter i) is placed below the sigma symbol and the upper and lower limits of the sum are written above and below the sigma symbol, respectively. The expression to be summed is written to the right of the sigma symbol, with the index variable substituted for its values in the expression. The sum is then evaluated by substituting the lower limit into the expression and adding it to the result of substituting the next value of the index variable, until the upper limit is reached.

Can this expression be written in sigma notation?

Yes, the expression a + ar + ar^2 + ... + ar^(n-1) can be written in sigma notation as Σi=0n-1 ar^i, where a is the first term, r is the common ratio, and n is the number of terms in the sequence.

What are the benefits of using sigma notation?

Sigma notation allows for a concise and efficient representation of a sum of terms in a sequence. It also allows for easy manipulation and simplification of mathematical expressions involving sums.

Can sigma notation be used for other types of sequences?

Yes, sigma notation can be used for various types of sequences, such as arithmetic sequences, geometric sequences, and even infinite series. It is a versatile notation that is widely used in mathematics and science.