Can this fusion cycle work in practice?

Casian
Hello
I would like to ask here because I couldn't find an answer anywhere on the internet. I recently noticed that two fusion equations have a very good reciprocal cycle, namely the equation: 1H + 2H = 3He, and the equation 3He + 2H = 4He + 1H. I understand that it may have practical limitations, each of the reactions has a different temperature of maximum efficiency and in terms of fuel they would be mostly deuterium which would lead to unwanted mutual fusion of D + D, even so I think it is definitely interesting. Additionally, one such cycle would produce 23.8 MeV which is close to one P + P cycle in the sun. So what is your opinion on it? (I also attach my own graphic for understanding)
fusion reaction 2.png

Physics news on Phys.org
The first reaction is far less common than D+D at all temperatures with relevant fusion rates (should be something like 6-8 orders of magnitude difference). You basically build a deuterium fusion reactor that has some unreactive protons mixed in. And that's another 1-2 orders of magnitude worse than deuterium-tritium.

mfb said:
The first reaction is far less common than D+D at all temperatures with relevant fusion rates (should be something like 6-8 orders of magnitude difference).
The first reaction is also the prevalent fate of D in the world. But then the problem is keeping both the steps the main branch.
mfb said:
You basically build a deuterium fusion reactor that has some unreactive protons mixed in. And that's another 1-2 orders of magnitude worse than deuterium-tritium.
From
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deuterium_fusion
the reaction
1) d+p=3He+γ
is the prevalent fate of d not only in Sun (where d concentration is kept low by the rapidity of reaction 1) - lifetime quoted as 1 s!), but also in brown dwarfs (that start with primordial d concentration). Since the primordial d/p ratio is just 4,6 magnitudes, it should not be a 6-8 magnitudes difference of cross-section?
Other d reactions include
2) d+d=3He+n
3) d+d=t+p
these require high d concentrations to compete with 1)
4) d+t=α+n
this requires availability of t
5) d+3He=α+p
this of course requires availability of 3He. What kind of 3He concentrations would have it as the major fate of 3He?
Also, I understand that the temperature dependence of thermonuclear reactions depends on Coulomb barrier. Which is proportional to (z1z2/r). All the reactions 1) to 4) have the same z1z2 (1), though r may differ. Reaction 5) has the bigger z1z2 (2).

Last edited:
snorkack said:
The first reaction is also the prevalent fate of D in the world.
Yes, in stars that don't have enough deuterium to make D-D fusion relevant, and where the power density only matches a compost heap. Fusion reactors don't have the same conditions.
Since the primordial d/p ratio is just 4,6 magnitudes, it should not be a 6-8 magnitudes difference of cross-section?
The cross section has nothing to do with the concentration.

D-D fusion ends up with a neutron directly or indirectly, which produces another deuterium nucleus in a star (but not in a fusion reactor), so stars are doing p-D fusion with extra steps.