Proton- Proton Fusion on Earth?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential of P-P fusion as an alternative to the commonly used D-T and D-D fusion cycles. While it is known to be inefficient for energy production, P-P fusion occurs at 15 million Kelvin in the sun's immense pressure. The speaker wonders if the same results can be achieved on Earth using vacuum and electromagnetic fields, such as in Inertial Electrostatic Confinement or Magnetic Confinement, instead of the extreme conditions in the sun. However, it is noted that the reaction rate for P-P fusion is much lower than D-D and D-T, making it unrealistic to produce relevant fusion rates on Earth. Additionally, even if the collision rate could be replicated, the power density would still be
Sam_SP
Hi, I have been doing my own personal fusion research for almost a year now and I recently began looking into the various fusion fuel cycles other than D-T and D-D. The cycle that I'm interested in is P-P fusion, I'm aware that this method is inefficient for energy production, however, it seems that P-P starts fusing at 15 million Kelvin in the sun (due to the sun's immense pressure). I am wondering what kind of energies you would require to fuse protium on Earth using a vacuum and electromagnetic fields, say through the method of Inertial Electrostatic Confinement or Magnetic Confinement, as opposed to the extreme pressure and heat such as in the sun. Would you get the same results if you applied roughly 1300 volts (1300eV = 15,000,000 Kelvin) in a low-pressure atmosphere? Or would you need to apply a much higher potential?

Physics news on Phys.org
The energy is the same here on Earth as it is in the Sun's core. What's different is that the density of the Sun's core is so high that it can cause an appreciable amount of the incredibly rare p-p fusion events. More than 99.99% of collisions simply results in the decay of the diproton back into separate protons.

The reaction rate is something like a billion times lower than the DD or DT reaction rate. It depends on pressure and temperature of course, but the factor is so large that there is no realistic way to get any relevant pp fusion rate on Earth. The reaction rate is so small that I'm not even aware of experimental observations in the lab, because you are always swamped by side-reactions.
Even if we could get the same collision rate as the Sun with its huge core pressure (we cannot): The power density in the core is just 40 W/m3, way too low to be interesting on Earth.

1. What is proton-proton fusion on Earth?

Proton-proton fusion on Earth is a type of nuclear reaction that occurs naturally in the core of the Sun. It involves two protons fusing together to form a helium-2 nucleus and releasing a large amount of energy in the process.

2. How does proton-proton fusion occur on Earth?

Proton-proton fusion occurs when two protons with enough energy come into close proximity to each other. This can happen due to the high temperatures and pressures in the core of the Sun.

3. What is the significance of proton-proton fusion on Earth?

Proton-proton fusion is responsible for the energy output of the Sun and other stars. It is also being studied as a potential source of clean and renewable energy for human use.

4. Can proton-proton fusion be replicated on Earth?

Yes, scientists are currently working on ways to replicate proton-proton fusion on Earth through controlled nuclear fusion reactions. However, it is a complex process and has not yet been fully achieved.

5. What are the potential benefits and risks of proton-proton fusion on Earth?

The potential benefits of proton-proton fusion include a nearly limitless source of clean energy and a reduction in greenhouse gas emissions. However, there are also potential risks such as the release of harmful radiation and the potential for accidents or malfunctions in the fusion reactors.