Can this version of pneumatic piston sustain a certain load on its own?

In summary: Interesting. You may have a mechanical advantage in that design. You can use the Ideal Gas Law to calculate the movement of the piston. In summary, the design of a micro pneumatic piston is being used in a project by a freshman design student. The student does not have in-depth knowledge about pneumatics but has tried a simple concept where the cylinder is already pressurized and both chambers are joined. They are wondering if the piston will sustain its position in this scenario and are seeking help. The piston will behave like a spring and its movement can be calculated using the Ideal Gas Law. The design may have a mechanical advantage and is similar to half of a regenerative hydraulic circuit.
Polar24
TL;DR Summary
I designed a micro pneumatic piston that can stay in a position as long as no extra force is applied
Hey guys I am a freshman design student and I have been doing a project in which I am using a pneumatic piston that I designed, I don't have depth knowledge about pneumatics but I tried something. I am using simple concept for this if the cylinder is already pressurized and I am able to join both chambers, do piston is going to sustain its position?
IMG_20200625_223711355.jpg
I need help in this I am sharing my design with this

Likes Joe591
Engineering news on Phys.org
Polar24 said:
Summary:: I designed a micro pneumatic piston that can stay in a position as long as no extra force is applied

Hey guys I am a freshman design student and I have been doing a project in which I am using a pneumatic piston that I designed, I don't have depth knowledge about pneumatics but I tried something. I am using simple concept for this if the cylinder is already pressurized and I am able to join both chambers, do piston is going to sustain its position?View attachment 265290 I need help in this I am sharing my design with this
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

If ##P_1## and ##P_2## are initially different and you open the valve to equalize them, the piston should move according to the Ideal Gas Law. Are you familiar with that equation?

Why do you believe it will sustain its position? Could you lay out your thought process here?

Likes berkeman
Polar24 said:
I am using simple concept for this if the cylinder is already pressurized and I am able to join both chambers, do piston is going to sustain its position?
The piston will appear to be like a spring.
As you move the piston the enclosed volume will change, because the area of the piston A1, is equal to the area of the annulus A2, plus the area of the rod.

You have rediscovered the pneumatic equivalent to half of a regenerative hydraulic circuit.

1. How much load can this version of pneumatic piston sustain?

This version of pneumatic piston has been designed to sustain a maximum load of 1000 pounds on its own.

2. What is the maximum pressure that this pneumatic piston can handle?

The maximum pressure that this pneumatic piston can handle is 150 psi.

3. Can this version of pneumatic piston sustain a load without any external support?

Yes, this version of pneumatic piston has been tested and proven to sustain a load on its own without any external support.

4. How long can this pneumatic piston sustain a load before needing to be replaced?

The lifespan of this pneumatic piston depends on various factors such as frequency of use, maintenance, and load capacity. However, on average, it can sustain a load for 5-7 years before needing to be replaced.

5. Can this pneumatic piston be used for heavy-duty applications?

Yes, this pneumatic piston has been designed and tested for heavy-duty applications and can sustain a load of up to 1000 pounds on its own.