Can two variables in two different equations cancel each other?

In summary: However, in this specific example, the letter 'L' in equation #1 represents the length of the wire (the quantity being measured), while the letter 'l' in equation #3 represents the full length of the wire (i.e. including the part of the wire that is not in the magnetic field). So when the letters are substituted for each other in equation #4, the 'L' in equation #1 should cancel out the 'l' in equation #3, resulting in an equation that gives the length of the wire in terms of the force acting on it due to the magnetic field.
Y0SHI0N
Homework Statement
What is the relationship between the force acting on a current-carrying wire within a magnetic field and the resistivity of the wire material at room temperature?
Relevant Equations
F = BIL sin⁡θ (#1)
I = V/R (#2)
R = ρ l/A (#3)
F = BLVA sin⁡θ/ρl (#4)
Using the related equations, I have come up with an equation that I think would answer this question (#4). However, I was just wondering does the 'L' from equation #1 and 'l' in equation #3 cancels each other out when the substitution is made to give out equation #4 (since they are both the length of the wire)? I asked my physics teacher in class and he didn't know the answer. Thank you so much for your time, every response is much appreciated.

Edit: the teacher just came back to me with a response. He said that the 'l' and 'L' are two different lengths despite the same wire are being used in this instance. The 'L' here represents the length of which the force is acting on the wire based on how much of the wire is going through the magnetic field whereas the 'l' represents the full length of the wire. Can someone please confirm this explanation? Thank you.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Y0SHI0N said:
Can someone please confirm this explanation? Thank you.
Looks right.

Likes Y0SHI0N
haruspex said:
Looks right.
Say if I were to set up the scenario in question with crocodile and a simple power source, would this relationship change? do I need to consider the resistance of the crocodile cables as well? Also thank you for your response.

Y0SHI0N said:
Say if I were to set up the scenario in question with crocodile and a simple power source, would this relationship change? do I need to consider the resistance of the crocodile cables as well? Also thank you for your response.
Every equation has a context. It is only valid under a stated set of conditions.
R = ρ l/A is valid for a length of conductor of uniform resistivity and cross sectional area.
I = V/R is valid between two points with potential difference V etc.
For the purposes of the question in post #1, you could make the context just a short section of wire, entirely in the field, and with a voltage V applied across its length.

Likes Y0SHI0N
haruspex said:
Every equation has a context. It is only valid under a stated set of conditions.
R = ρ l/A is valid for a length of conductor of uniform resistivity and cross sectional area.
I = V/R is valid between two points with potential difference V etc.
For the purposes of the question in post #1, you could make the context just a short section of wire, entirely in the field, and with a voltage V applied across its length.
Thank you so much:)

Generally you cannot assume that the same letter appearing in two different equations you find on the internet represents the same quantity. And you definitely can't assume that a lower-case and upper-case symbol, e.g. ##a## and ##A##, appearing in a given term represent the same quantity!

1. Can two variables in two different equations cancel each other?

Yes, it is possible for two variables in two different equations to cancel each other out. This can happen when the equations are related to each other and have a common variable that can be eliminated through algebraic manipulation.

2. How can two variables in two different equations cancel each other?

This can be achieved through algebraic manipulation of the equations. For example, if one equation has a variable on one side and the other equation has the same variable on the other side, they can be added or subtracted to eliminate the variable and solve for the remaining variable.

3. Is it necessary for the two equations to have the same variable in order for them to cancel each other?

No, the two equations do not necessarily have to have the same variable for them to cancel each other. As long as there is a common variable that can be eliminated through algebraic manipulation, the equations can cancel each other out.

4. Are there any limitations to canceling variables in two different equations?

Yes, there are limitations to canceling variables in two different equations. The equations must have a common variable and the algebraic manipulation must be valid. Additionally, the resulting solution may not always be accurate as it depends on the accuracy of the original equations.

5. Can canceling variables in two different equations lead to incorrect solutions?

Yes, it is possible for canceling variables in two different equations to lead to incorrect solutions. This can happen if there are errors in the original equations or if the algebraic manipulation is not done correctly. It is important to check the solution against the original equations to ensure its accuracy.