Can we differentiate Equation 9 and get Expression 10?

In summary, the equation you wrote is incorrect, and the true derivative is not equal to the false derivative.
beaf123

Homework Statement

upload_2017-10-15_19-45-9.png

Homework Equations

[/B]
I came over these Equations when I was Reading an article. I tried to replicate the results by differentiating Equation 9 w.r.t time. However I could not do it.
Just to be sure. The growth of a variable is Equal to the time derivative of the same variable? What is most important for me is to know that, that is what they have done.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I tried to use:
Quotient Rule f/g (f' g − g' f )/g2

And I think I did it right, but maybe I could not simplify it to get Expression 10.

I really hope someone can help me with this.

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-15_19-43-51.png
    upload_2017-10-15_19-43-51.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 461
Physics news on Phys.org
beaf123 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 213096

Homework Equations

[/B]
I came over these Equations when I was Reading an article. I tried to replicate the results by differentiating Equation 9 w.r.t time. However I could not do it.
Just to be sure. The growth of a variable is Equal to the time derivative of the same variable? What is most important for me is to know that, that is what they have done.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I tried to use:
Quotient Rule f/g (f' g − g' f )/g2

And I think I did it right, but maybe I could not simplify it to get Expression 10.

I really hope someone can help me with this.
How is ##\hat y## defined? You seem to be assuming that ##\hat y = \frac{dy}{dt}##, which might not be what is meant by that symbol.

It is defined as "labor Productivity Growth", but it is not defined any further. Are you (or someone else) able to see if we can differentiate (9) and get (10)?

beaf123 said:
It is defined as "labor Productivity Growth", but it is not defined any further. Are you (or someone else) able to see if we can differentiate (9) and get (10)?
I don't see how (9) could possibly be differentiated (with respect to t) to yield (10). Equation (10) would have to have a factor of ##(a + b\gamma)##, which isn't present. Besides this, I differentiated (9) w.r.t. t, and didn't get anything remotely close to (10).

beaf123 said:

Nobody can get it because it is false. For example, if ##a = 1.5, b = 2, \gamma = 2.5, r = .1, s = 3## we have
$$y = \frac{6.5 \exp(.1\,t)}{1+2.5 \exp(-2.9 \,t)} $$
and
$$Dy_1 \equiv \frac{dy}{dt} = \frac{6.5(7.5 \exp(-2.8\,t)+0.1 \exp(0.1\,t)}{(1+2.5 \exp(-2.9\,t))^2} $$
The expression you wrote is
$$Dy_2 = \frac{.1+7.5 \exp(-2.9\,t)}{1+2.5 \exp(-2.9\,t)}$$
These last two are definitely unequal; here is a plot:
upload_2017-10-16_9-44-21.png

The top curve is ##Dy_1## (the true derivative), while the bottom curve is ##Dy_2## (the false derivative in equation (10)). I did all the algebra and the plot using the computer algebra package Maple, so there should not be any errors. (However, I copied your expressions from hard-to-read and slightly out-of-focus images, so maybe there is something wrong. You should avoid posting images, and just type out everything, the way most helpers do.)

Last edited:
Likes Kninfinite

Related to Can we differentiate Equation 9 and get Expression 10?

What does "hard to differentiate" mean?

"Hard to differentiate" refers to a situation where it is difficult to distinguish or tell apart two or more things. This can be due to similarities in appearance, function, or other characteristics.

What are some examples of "hard to differentiate"?

Examples of "hard to differentiate" include two species of plants that look very similar, two products that have similar uses and packaging, or two concepts that are closely related but have subtle differences.

Why is it important to be able to differentiate between things?

Being able to differentiate between things allows us to make informed decisions and avoid confusion. It is particularly important in fields like science, where accuracy and precision are crucial.

How can one overcome the challenge of "hard to differentiate"?

One can overcome the challenge of "hard to differentiate" by carefully studying and analyzing the characteristics of the things that need to be differentiated. This may involve conducting experiments, using specialized equipment, or seeking expert opinions.

Can "hard to differentiate" ever be a good thing?

Yes, "hard to differentiate" can sometimes be a good thing, especially in the field of genetics. For example, it can be beneficial for organisms to have similar genes that allow them to adapt to changing environments, making it hard to differentiate between them. This can increase genetic diversity and improve the survival of the species.