Can we find EM radiation in charged particle's decays?

In summary: Yes, there is a book about it: "Electromagnetic radiation from charged particles and fields", by A.N. Prokhorov, (Springer, Berlin, 2007).
ORF
Hello.

I was taught that a charge which changes its velocity must radiate (at least, in classical electrodynamics).

Let's consider a charged particle which decays into another charged particle (and, maybe, others neutral particles; but not photons). In this case, can we find electromagnetic radiation?

I found a particular example*,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bremsstrahlung#Beta_decay
but I wonder if this a general feature of charged particle's decays.

If this question is already answered in this forum, just tell me, and I will delete this thread.

Thank you for your time :)

Greetings
*"The "inner" bremsstrahlung arises from the creation of the electron [...]"
PS: My mother language is not English, so I'll be glad if you correct any mistake.

Physics news on Phys.org
ORF said:
(at least, in classical electrodynamics).
In classical physics, indeed.
ORF said:
Let's consider a charged particle which decays into another charged particle (and, maybe, others neutral particles; but not photons). In this case, can we find electromagnetic radiation?
If you explicitely rule out photons as decay product, then we cannot find photons.

Bremsstrahlung is not a particle decay.

Hello.

Wikipedia's article says that exist "radiation from the creation of a charged particle". Maybe the first question I should have made is: can we find bremsstrahlung in charged particle's creations/annihilations?

mfb said:
then we cannot find photons.
I put the idea into the wrong words. Let's take one example: the beta-decay itself doesn't involve photons, but they appear as Bremsstrahlung.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bremsstrahlung#Beta_decay

My (reformulated) doubt is: every charged-to-charged particle's decay involve Bremsstrahlung?

Thank you for your patience and time :)

Greetings.

That can be called Bremsstrahlung as well, right. I thought of the process of electrons in matter in post 2.

ORF said:
every charged-to-charged particle's decay involve Bremsstrahlung?
At least not always in a way particle detectors could see it. Very low-energetic photons... could be.

Hello.

Ok, that was what I thought. Is there any book/link which explains this issue? I would like further information :)

Thank you for your time :)

Greetings.

Related to Can we find EM radiation in charged particle's decays?

1. What is EM radiation?

EM radiation, also known as electromagnetic radiation, is a form of energy that is emitted and absorbed by charged particles. It consists of oscillating electric and magnetic fields and can travel through vacuum at the speed of light.

2. How is EM radiation related to charged particle decays?

When a charged particle undergoes decay, it emits EM radiation as a result of the change in its energy state. This phenomenon is known as Bremsstrahlung radiation or braking radiation. The amount and frequency of the EM radiation emitted depends on the energy of the charged particle and the nature of the decay process.

3. Can we detect EM radiation from charged particle decays?

Yes, we can detect EM radiation from charged particle decays using specialized instruments such as gamma-ray detectors. These detectors can measure the energy and frequency of the emitted radiation and provide valuable information about the decaying particle.

4. What are some examples of charged particle decays that produce EM radiation?

Some common examples of charged particle decays that produce EM radiation include alpha decay, beta decay, and gamma decay. In alpha decay, a radioactive atom emits an alpha particle (consisting of two protons and two neutrons) and produces EM radiation in the form of gamma rays. In beta decay, a neutron decays into a proton, an electron, and an antineutrino, with the electron emitting EM radiation as it moves away from the nucleus. Gamma decay is a type of radioactive decay where an unstable atomic nucleus emits a gamma ray, which is a high-energy photon.

5. What are the practical applications of studying EM radiation from charged particle decays?

Studying EM radiation from charged particle decays has various practical applications in different fields such as nuclear physics, medicine, and environmental science. For example, it can help us understand the properties and behavior of different types of particles, which is essential in nuclear research and technology. In medicine, gamma-ray detectors are used for diagnostic imaging, and in environmental science, they can help detect and measure radiation levels in the environment.