Can we use counter-rotating rings to generate power on space

In summary, the conversation revolved around the idea of using counter-rotating rings to generate power in an orbital environment. The general opinion was that while it may seem feasible, the energy losses and costs involved make it a non-viable option. The concept of perpetual motion and free energy was also discussed and deemed as a pseudoscientific topic that is not allowed in the forum.
Wilki_22
I was reading a post by spongebob_79 about using counter-rotating rings to generate power and I had a thought. What is the general opinion of using counter-rotating rings mounted to 2 facing sides of a structure and simpily inducing opposite spins on the structures to generate power? Obviously good mechanical designs would need to be in play for it to work correctly and an amount of orbital construction would be needed as well. But, if it could be designed simply, cost effective, and modular then should not it be feasible?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Energy extraction slows down the spin. Inducing spin costs energy. Energy losses in-between mean that you're putting more energy in than you're getting out of it.

Wilki_22 said:
I was reading a post by spongebob_79 about using counter-rotating rings to generate power and I had a thought. What is the general opinion of using counter-rotating rings mounted to 2 facing sides of a structure and simpily inducing opposite spins on the structures to generate power? Obviously good mechanical designs would need to be in play for it to work correctly and an amount of orbital construction would be needed as well. But, if it could be designed simply, cost effective, and modular then should not it be feasible?
Of course it's feasible if you don't mind spending extra money on totally wasted energy (as Bandersnatch pointed out) used to create the energy that you are "saving" that you could have just created directly.

I am led to believe the thief you mean is friction? What if the surfaces do not touch and the energy is produced by magnetic induction?

No. Friction is the cause of mechanical losses.
The mere fact that you're extracting energy slows down the spin - i.e. making the electrons move in a wire requires energy.

Wilki_22 said:
I am led to believe the thief you mean is friction? What if the surfaces do not touch and the energy is produced by magnetic induction?
There is no such thing as a 100% efficient motor or generator. So,

fuel -> motor -> spin -> generator -> electricity

has losses at every stage

So does

fuel -> generator -> electricity

but it has fewer stages in which to incur losses.

Ok. I understand. I am going to have to do some more research on the input costs v. output results. It just seems to me that in an orbital environment, the input energy to induce and maintain the spin would be less than the output gained in power production of the generator...strange.

Wilki_22 said:
Ok. I understand. I am going to have to do some more research on the input costs v. output results. It just seems to me that in an orbital environment, the input energy to induce and maintain the spin would be less than the output gained in power production of the generator...strange.
You are now talking about a perpetual motion machine ... free energy. It doesn't work and discussion of this crackpot idea are banned on this forum. I understand that you "get" that it doesn't work, I'm just letting you know.

Wilki_22 said:

Welcome to the PF.

Over-unity mechanisms (and perpetual motion machines) are on the Forbidden Topics list in the PF Rules (see Info at the top of the page). We do not discuss them because they are a waste of time to discuss. Please see the links below in the quote from the Rules -- they should help you to understand the issues better. :smile:

micromass said:
Forbidden Topics -- Pseudoscience, such as (but not limited to):

Perpetual motion and "free energy" discussions
http://wiki.4hv.org/index.php/Free_Energy_Debunking
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion
http://www.skepdic.com/freeenergy.html
http://www.skepdic.com/perpetual.html

Thread is closed.

1. Can counter-rotating rings really generate power in space?

Yes, counter-rotating rings can generate power in space as long as there is a source of energy to drive the rotation.

2. How do these counter-rotating rings work to generate power?

The basic principle behind counter-rotating rings for power generation is that the rotation of the rings creates a magnetic field that interacts with the magnetic field of the surrounding space. This interaction produces an electric current, which can then be harnessed as power.

3. What materials are needed for these counter-rotating rings to work?

The materials needed for counter-rotating rings to work vary, but typically include conductive metals such as aluminum or copper for the rings themselves, and a source of energy such as a nuclear reactor or solar panels to drive the rotation.

4. Are there any risks or drawbacks to using counter-rotating rings for power generation in space?

Like any technology, there are potential risks and drawbacks to using counter-rotating rings for power generation in space. These may include the cost and complexity of building and maintaining the rings, as well as potential interference with other space systems.

5. What other potential uses do counter-rotating rings have in space?

In addition to power generation, counter-rotating rings have potential applications in propulsion systems for spacecraft and satellites, as well as in research and exploration of the magnetic fields in space.