Can Wolfram Alpha do n-d integrals symbolically?

• Thread starter benorin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, WolframAlpha can do n-dimensional integrals symbolically, but may have difficulty translating abstract notation into a form that WolframAlpha can understand. If you can provide one or a few simple examples of short Selberg integrals that you are interested in, WolframAlpha may be able to do them for you.
benorin
Homework Helper
Insights Author
The Q is all in the title. I’ve been working on Selberg integrals, curious if Alpha can help me?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
benorin said:
The Q is all in the title.
The title is "Can Wolfram|Alpha do n-d integrals symbolically?"
I didn't know what n-d was supposed to mean, so I looked up Selberg Integral on Wikipedia, which didn't help.

I finally concluded that possibly you meant "n-dimensional" integrals. It would have been helpful to spell this out a bit more, if that's what you actually meant.

Likes benorin
Mark44 said:
The title is "Can Wolfram|Alpha do n-d integrals symbolically?"
I didn't know what n-d was supposed to mean, so I looked up Selberg Integral on Wikipedia, which didn't help.

I finally concluded that possibly you meant "n-dimensional" integrals. It would have been helpful to spell this out a bit more, if that's what you actually meant.
n-dimensional yes, sorry I thought "n-d" was standard. These are the Selberg Integrals of which I speak:

unit hypercube integrals.png

I think WolframAlpha was originally intended to do "small" problems more easily for students than something like Wolfram Mathematica.

Part of the design decisions that went into WolframAlpha appear to have included a line length limit (at least for the free online version, I can't speak about the paid "pro" version of WolframAlpha), you can't enter a problem that takes 250 characters to input or that needs 250 characters in some intermediate or final step in doing the problem. For lots of years I think I remember that limit appeared to be about 80 characters, but it seems that the limit was increased to about 125 characters years ago. I am guessing that limit may be one of the issues that you may face in trying to do the problems you want to solve.

Another issue will likely be trying to translate the abstract notation that makes perfect sense to you and everyone else who have been working for years on the kind of problems you are interested in into a notation that WolframAlpha is able to understand. For some problems that process is fairly straight forward, sometimes it requires a few tricks. Sometimes the line length limit can be avoided by breaking the problem down into a sequence of simpler problems, giving each one to WolframAlpha and finally reassembling the individual results into a complete solution. And for the rest of all the problems that might be posed my response is usually "I don't know of a way to format that so that WolframAlpha will understand and I suggest that you get a 'grad student 2.0' to solve that for you."

If you can show one or a few of the simplest shortest Selberg Integrals that you are interested in then I will take a moment and see if I can find a way to coax WolframAlpha into doing those for you. Then you might include a couple of intermediate sized problems and finally an example or two of the kind/size problems that you really want to do. Maybe we can find a way to get it to do some of your problems and you can see the result of the ad hoc methods I have used to coax WolframAlpha into cooperating and if that works then maybe you can guess how you might try similar things and see if it can solve some of your problems you are really interested in.

Likes benorin

1. Can Wolfram Alpha solve indefinite integrals?

Yes, Wolfram Alpha can solve both definite and indefinite integrals, including n-dimensional integrals.

2. How accurate are the results from Wolfram Alpha for n-dimensional integrals?

The accuracy of the results from Wolfram Alpha depends on the complexity of the integral and the precision settings chosen. In general, Wolfram Alpha provides accurate results for n-dimensional integrals.

3. Is Wolfram Alpha able to solve integrals with multiple variables?

Yes, Wolfram Alpha can solve integrals with multiple variables, including n-dimensional integrals. Users can specify the variables and limits of integration for accurate results.

4. Can Wolfram Alpha provide step-by-step solutions for n-dimensional integrals?

Yes, Wolfram Alpha can provide step-by-step solutions for n-dimensional integrals. However, this feature may be limited to certain types of integrals and may require a Pro subscription.

5. How does Wolfram Alpha handle improper n-dimensional integrals?

Wolfram Alpha can handle improper integrals by using the appropriate integration techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. Users can also specify the limits of integration for more accurate results.