Can you be a good engineer and at the same time abe a human?

In summary: There are plenty of opportunities to get your engineering education without sitting in a lecture hall all day long.
AlexES16
I wana become good at math and physics, and become a mechanical engineer. I will like to make contributions to society. But can you be good at this withouth loosing a balanced social life, having a girlfirend and friends and make some exercise xD.

Physics news on Phys.org
Most of engineers I work with are married to a human so I believe they do socialize. They have children too :biggrin:

Absolutely not, everyone knows the best engineers are Vulcans.

rootX said:
Most of engineers I work with are married to a human so I believe they do socialize. They have children too :biggrin:

Hope so

Did you mean "be a human" or "ape a human"? :biggrin:

An engineer that wants a social life isn't a true engineer...

EnumaElish said:

HHAHAHA good observation. I just will to know to know if you can do your passion without becoming social incapacitated.

djeikyb said:
An engineer that wants a social life isn't a true engineer...

Hu?

I don't know...engineers seem fairly normal. It's the physicists who are weird people. But even we have social lives. In fact, physicists in general seem to be fairly knowledgeable on a diverse range of topics. I don't think that being eclectic is the same as being weird.

Tedjn said:
Absolutely not, everyone knows the best engineers are Vulcans.

mates once every seven years? seems a bit optimistic.

Join a few of the mainstream clubs (not so much an anime club or D&D club (not to poke fun)) or some of the larger engineering clubs. You'll get plenty of social experience. I know engineers from both extremes of the spectrum, if you want to avoid becoming non-human interact with other humans.

arunma said:
I don't know...engineers seem fairly normal. It's the physicists who are weird people. But even we have social lives. In fact, physicists in general seem to be fairly knowledgeable on a diverse range of topics. I don't think that being eclectic is the same as being weird.

maybe physicists are more weird, but i seem to get along fine in my physics classes. it's the engineers who i think are the real awkward ones. they refuse to talk. TALK!

In my last physics class we had one aspiring physicist. 1 physicist to sixty undergrads of other disciplines.

Well getting girls as an engineer or attractivness of an engineer? xD

AUK 1138 said:
maybe physicists are more weird, but i seem to get along fine in my physics classes. it's the engineers who i think are the real awkward ones. they refuse to talk. TALK!
Maybe it is you who is weird and thus gets along better with the weird physicists rather than the engineers??

Dude how much is the work/study hours a day to be a good engineer? i mean you have to be refreshing the memory and learning more.

Klockan3 said:
Maybe it is you who is weird and thus gets along better with the weird physicists rather than the engineers??

There's nothing wrong with that. Weird physicists are generally extremely interesting people.

Actually, if someone were to ask me to suggest a career or field of study where you can use math and science but still have a life, I think engineering would be high on the list.

Like everything, it also depends on where specifically you work and your own approach to the work/social life balance, pace of career advancement or salary increases, etc., but I think engineering has a lot of opportunities where you can do both and do both well.

I've met many engineers, and they all seem pretty social and normal (keep in mind that I'm a scientist type too, so my perception of normal might be skewed a bit), and of course I might only meet the social ones...selection bias.

AlexES16 said:
Dude how much is the work/study hours a day to be a good engineer? i mean you have to be refreshing the memory and learning more.

While I'm not an engineer, my roommate is. He only does a couple hours a week of actual studying, studying as in reading or reviewing notes for classes. However, that's mostly because in practical (real) majors like engineering and physics, study time is mostly the same as homework time.
I will also say that for engineering, "study time" doesn't have to be actual studying. Hands on experiences in many college activities provides engineering experience and gives you an opportunity to learn useful things outside of a classroom. For example, engineers at the University of Oklahoma compete in several things. One team builds an off-road vehicle and goes to national competition (http://students.sae.org/competitions/bajasae/about.htm). There are lots of other competitions as well- Design-Build-Fly is another awesome one.

In short, don't let "hours spent studying" be a deciding factor in picking a major.

Moonbear said:
Actually, if someone were to ask me to suggest a career or field of study where you can use math and science but still have a life, I think engineering would be high on the list.

Like everything, it also depends on where specifically you work and your own approach to the work/social life balance, pace of career advancement or salary increases, etc., but I think engineering has a lot of opportunities where you can do both and do both well.

I've met many engineers, and they all seem pretty social and normal (keep in mind that I'm a scientist type too, so my perception of normal might be skewed a bit), and of course I might only meet the social ones...selection bias.

I didn't think about it that way, but you are right on there. The opinion here may be a little skewed because many of us here are either scientists or engineers and we may be a little biased. I think I prefer the science human beings to the non-science human beings. I prefer the monkeys who don't throw poo as often.

Pattonias said:
I didn't think about it that way, but you are right on there. The opinion here may be a little skewed because many of us here are either scientists or engineers and we may be a little biased. I think I prefer the science human beings to the non-science human beings. I prefer the monkeys who don't throw poo as often.

Hahaha pretty well, well there can be a nother question have an engineer(good engineer) dated a perfect 10 xD?

Moonbear said:

Yeah i think is a balance.

Another interesting( dumb) question. Have any engineer/scientist of this forum dated a really beutifull girl i mean we can say a perfect 10, don't come with the thing that there is no perfect 10 take is as a very beutifull girl.??

You mean a perfect 10 for me or a perfect 10 for MTV? I think I've got a 10 and hopefully she doesn't decide I'm unworthy, because I have no reason to be this lucky.

If you want the ladies, you should probably go into physics...

djeikyb said:
If you want the ladies, you should probably go into physics...

So girls are attracted to physicist...

Pattonias said:
You mean a perfect 10 for me or a perfect 10 for MTV? I think I've got a 10 and hopefully she doesn't decide I'm unworthy, because I have no reason to be this lucky.

Think in a really beautiful girl

EnumaElish said:
I thought it was "Can you be a good engineer and Abe be a human?" That's true if you are a good engineer and Abe is a human. :biggrin::biggrin:

AlexES16 said:
So girls are attracted to physicist...

We can be sure that girls are affected by physics, I don't know about the attraction.

I'm a physicist, and I attract everyone in the known universe with a force proportional to the product of our masses and inversely proportional to the distance between us squared.

djeikyb said:
I'm a physicist, and I attract everyone in the known universe with a force proportional to the product of our masses and inversely proportional to the distance between us squared.

:rofl: I see the makings of a pick-up line

AlexES16 said:

people keep up with the things that interest them, almost as a matter of leisure. when you go to the magazine rack, what do you pick up and read (other than the ones with the "perfect 10s") ?

Proton Soup said:
people keep up with the things that interest them, almost as a matter of leisure. when you go to the magazine rack, what do you pick up and read (other than the ones with the "perfect 10s") ?

Well energy and politics+ social problems. Actually i will post a question here,

Can a engineer be a revolutionary politician(not a joke and lier politic a honest one)

Hey i am really into this:

Can a engineer be a revolutionary politician(not a joke and lier politic a honest one) . I live in El Salvador a 3rd world country, one of the most violent in the world and one of the most vulnerable for the climatic change, foreign companies have come to my country and take it all, we have a free trade with USA and the right wing buys death squads to aterrorize the population.

djeikyb said:

Booo that's physics of my physics book( Wilson Buffa Lou) xD.