Can you deviate from a mil standard?

• Thread starter Spoolx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Standard
In summary: We have a customer who requests a product that meets mil std requirements however they also request that we add a thickness exception of .0004-.0008. We have verified that this thickness falls within the specs for the anodize and have included this thickness in our drawings.
Spoolx
Hi all,
I ran across something today and wanted to get other engineers opinions.

I design products for a company and we routinely use mil specs to identify process parameters for our products.

Recently, I released a drawing that said process per the anodize mil-spec-xxx.xxx and below it I identified a thickness that does not fall completely within the range of the mil-spec

More specifically I said process per mil-spec -xxx.xx, and apply a coating thickness of .0004-.0008. However, the mil spec recommends a minimum of .0005.

In our business we use the anodize primarily for aluminum protection and color, the thickness range was recommended by the coating business who applies this anodize per the mil spec all day every day. When I say protection I simply mean no oxidation, it is a hand held device that does not mate with anything.

I originally thought it was no problem but I am starting to second guess myself. The mil-spec provides tons of information, and we deviate from one small portion of it to fit our needs, but we aren't military.I feel like our drawings are the final say, so if we state process per the mil-spec but then below it we have a small deviation than its legit. Obviously we want 99% of the process to be followed so it wouldn't make sense in my opinion to do it any other way.

What is everyone's take on it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Be clear in the drawing, and note any exceptions to the spec in the same place you call out the spec. EG - Anodize per mil-spec-etc with the below approved exception etc.

I didnt put exactly like you suggest however I did put
Anodize per MIL-xxx-xxx
Anodize Thickness .0004"-.0008"

Thanks for the reply

I agree with Grinkle. But I have to ask, if you're using the mil spec and would be happy with thicknesses up to 0.0008", why would you include the complication of an 0.0001" less-than-spec thickness?

OldYat47 - the OP said it was recommended by the vendor, its probably to reduce scrap.

Hmmm. Looks like the vendor is trying to stay very close to the minimum thickness. Interesting.

We did it primarily for the color, we are using a very light turquoise and when you go up even a few tenths in thickness it changes the color dramatically. Our components are anodized primarily for cosmetic preference and marketing wanted this color.

Of course we could have done .0005-.0008 but we were concerned with the anodized passing supplier validation so we gave him an extra .0001 on the bottom end.

Thanks for the reply guys

If you are delivering a product for which the customer specifies a mil std, then you must follow it exactly or else apply for a waiver from the. customer.

We are the designers and owner of the design for a product we own and manufacture

Related to Can you deviate from a mil standard?

1. Can I deviate from a mil standard if it is more convenient for my project?

No, mil standards are put in place for a reason and it is important to adhere to them in order to maintain consistency and quality in military products and processes.

2. What happens if I deviate from a mil standard without proper authorization?

Deviation from a mil standard without proper authorization can result in non-compliance and may lead to rejection of the product or process. It is important to follow proper procedures and obtain authorization before deviating from a mil standard.

3. Is it acceptable to deviate from a mil standard if I believe my method is better?

No, mil standards are thoroughly researched and developed to ensure the best practices are being followed. Deviating from a mil standard based on personal opinion or belief is not recommended and can lead to non-compliance.

4. How do I request authorization to deviate from a mil standard?

Authorization to deviate from a mil standard can be requested through the appropriate channels, such as your commanding officer or the relevant department within the military. It is important to provide a detailed explanation and justification for the deviation in order to obtain proper authorization.

5. Are there any exceptions or circumstances where deviation from a mil standard is allowed?

There may be rare cases where deviation from a mil standard is allowed, such as in emergency situations or when there is no other feasible option. However, these exceptions must be properly documented and approved by the appropriate authorities.