Can you do a PhD in Physics and get a job at the same time?

In summary, funding for graduate students pursuing a PhD in Physics often includes a stipend and full tuition waiver, but it is harder to come by for those pursuing a Masters degree. In the US, most physics Masters programs are terminal degrees and do not lead into a PhD program. In order to get a PhD in physics, students typically enter a PhD program immediately after their Bachelor's degree and can receive a Masters degree along the way. This is different from other countries and can cause confusion.
Karimspencer
I want to get a PhD in Physics but I need a job at the same time.

Does the universities pay you when you are doing your PhD?

And what about a Masters Degree? I want to do a Masters in physics and an MBA, can you get a job at the same time?

Physics news on Phys.org
Karimspencer said:
I want to get a PhD in Physics but I need a job at the same time.

Does the universities pay you when you are doing your PhD?

Yes, graduate students are given a stipend anywhere between 15-35k/yr, along with a full tuition waiver.

And what about a Masters Degree? I want to do a Masters in physics and an MBA, can you get a job at the same time?

Funding is harder to come by for masters students, especially since almost nobody gets a masters in physics (except for those who leave their PhD programs early).

If you get a full time job, some employers will pay for your PhD if it relates to your work. It's hard to work and get the degree but I know many who have done it.

Nabeshin said:
Funding is harder to come by for masters students, especially since almost nobody gets a masters in physics (except for those who leave their PhD programs early).

Well I want to get a Masters first and then a PhD

Karimspencer said:
Well I want to get a Masters first and then a PhD

In the US, most physics masters-degree programs are "terminal" degrees that are do not lead into a PhD program. My impression is that they are usually specialized programs for industry-related fields, or certification programs for high-school teachers, who can usually get a bigger salary if they have a masters degree and not just a bachelor's.

People who want to get a PhD in physics enter a PhD program immediately after the bachelor's degree, and spend a year or two doing coursework before doing research full time towards their dissertations. Along the way, usually after they have completed a certain number of hours of coursework, they can file the appropriate paperwork and get a masters degree. I did this. Some of my friends in grad school didn't bother with it.

This is different than in most other countries, and often causes confusion on this forum.

Thanks , I get it now.

I have one question jtbell: Where did you get your PhD and what university are you a professor in?

jtbell said:
In the US, most physics masters-degree programs are "terminal" degrees that are do not lead into a PhD program. My impression is that they are usually specialized programs for industry-related fields, or certification programs for high-school teachers, who can usually get a bigger salary if they have a masters degree and not just a bachelor's.

People who want to get a PhD in physics enter a PhD program immediately after the bachelor's degree, and spend a year or two doing coursework before doing research full time towards their dissertations. Along the way, usually after they have completed a certain number of hours of coursework, they can file the appropriate paperwork and get a masters degree. I did this. Some of my friends in grad school didn't bother with it.

This is different than in most other countries, and often causes confusion on this forum.

This is very good information. I would not have wasted my time getting my master's if it had not been for the excellent research group I was fathered into. My professor and I saw eye to eye on many theoretical inquiries, and thought that we would work well together in research. So I was very lucky; the information you mentioned above was never disseminated to me, which is a shame. I, however, and applying for the doctoral program at UC Berkeley in the hopes of working under the tutelage of Alexei Filippenko (which again, would require some luck ha!). I did not want to necro this thread, but thank you.

Related to Can you do a PhD in Physics and get a job at the same time?

1. Can I work while pursuing a PhD in Physics?

Yes, it is possible to work while pursuing a PhD in Physics. Many universities and research institutions offer part-time or flexible PhD programs that allow students to balance work and studies. However, it is important to carefully consider the time and energy commitments involved in both work and a PhD program to ensure success in both.

2. Will having a job affect my ability to complete a PhD in Physics?

Having a job while pursuing a PhD in Physics can affect your ability to complete the program, but it ultimately depends on your time management skills and the demands of your job. It is important to communicate with your supervisor and employer about your commitments and make a realistic plan for balancing both.

3. Are there any benefits to working while doing a PhD in Physics?

Yes, there are potential benefits to working while pursuing a PhD in Physics. Working can provide additional income and professional experience, which can be valuable for future career opportunities. Additionally, it can help you develop important skills such as time management and multitasking.

4. Can I find a job in the field of Physics while completing a PhD?

Yes, it is possible to find a job in the field of Physics while completing a PhD. Many universities and research institutions offer teaching or research assistant positions to PhD students, which can provide valuable experience and income. Additionally, networking and building connections in the field can also lead to job opportunities.

5. Is it common for people to work while pursuing a PhD in Physics?

It is not uncommon for people to work while pursuing a PhD in Physics. Many students choose to work in order to support themselves financially, gain experience, and enhance their resumes. However, the decision to work while completing a PhD program should be carefully considered and balanced with the demands of the program to ensure success.