Can You Recover a Forgotten Win10 Password Without Resetting?

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    windows
In summary, the conversation involves a friend who has forgotten their password to log into their PC. The speaker clarifies that they have known the friend for a long time and have worked on their PC before, so it is unlikely that someone else stole it. They then ask if it is possible to log in without resetting the PC to factory condition and if there is an administrator account or Microsoft account available. The speaker also suggests using third party password recovery tools, but warns about the potential consequences of using them.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Forgotten password, unable to log in in Windows10.
Hi All,
A friend has forgotten her password and is unable to log in. Just clarifying, I have knoen her for long and I am sure it is her PC, on which I have worked a few times, so it is not a rando who may have stolen a PC. Is it possible to login without resetting to factory condition?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Is there an administrator account on this PC? Does she have a Microsoft account she can log into?

Likes robphy and WWGD
It's a stand alone PC. I will have to check those details. Thanks.

There are also many third party programs available, some free for home use.

At least some of them turn off the password requirement rather than change it. This may or may not trigger the Microsoft function of killing some files/information. Suggest you investigate that MS 'feature' before running anything.

https://www.google.com/search?&q=password+recovery+tool+windows+10+free+download

Cheers,
Tom

1. What do I do if I forget my password in Windows 10?

If you forget your password in Windows 10, you can reset it by accessing the "Troubleshoot" menu in the login screen. From there, click on "Reset this PC" and follow the prompts to reset your password.

2. Can I reset my password without losing my files?

Yes, you can reset your password without losing your files by selecting the "Keep my files" option in the "Reset this PC" menu. This will only reset your password and will not affect your files or installed programs.

3. Can I reset my password if I don't have a password reset disk?

Yes, you can reset your password without a password reset disk by using the "Reset this PC" option in the login screen. This will allow you to reset your password using your Microsoft account or a local account.

4. Will resetting my password affect my Microsoft account?

Resetting your password in Windows 10 will not affect your Microsoft account. However, if you use your Microsoft account to sign in to your computer, your new password will also be the new password for your Microsoft account.

5. Can I change my password if I can still log in to my account?

Yes, you can change your password even if you can still log in to your account. Simply go to the "Accounts" section in the Windows 10 Settings and select "Sign-in options". From there, you can change your password under the "Password" section.