Windows 10 Not recognizing Device (Android ZTE)

In summary, the problem seems to be with the computer not recognizing the phone when plugged in. There are a few suggestions given, including checking the USB cable and/or the computer's settings.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All,
I am trying to transfer files from my ZTE971 Android into my Windows 10 PC.
Problem is computer is not recognizing the Android when I plug it into the USB port.
Strange, since it used to recognizing it without any problem just a few months back.
I have checked in device manager, updating drivers for all USBs , unistalling, re-installing (.
But, hey, that's what you get with Win10, it seems, my settings changed randomly.
Any suggestions?
upload_2018-7-23_11-16-38.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-23_11-16-38.png
    upload_2018-7-23_11-16-38.png
    38.9 KB · Views: 2,370
Computer science news on Phys.org
Hmm, you did all the things I would do.

Is is possible that the recent fight between ZTE and the US Government is involved? Do you have friends with ZTE phones that have the same problem?

Likes WWGD
anorlunda said:
Hmm, you did all the things I would do.

Is is possible that the recent fight between ZTE and the US Government is involved? Do you have friends with ZTE phones that have the same problem?
Thanks, good point. I guess I had not thought about that consequence. Will check.

At least some Android based devices need an app installed to talk over the USB. A recent update to the phone could have messed up this function... or at least as likely, a Windows update.

Good Luck! And please let us know what works.

Likes WWGD
Maybe the USB on the ZTE is in debug mode?

Likes WWGD
Rive said:
Maybe the USB on the ZTE is in debug mode?
Thanks. I am waiting to test someone else's USB. Will keep you all posted. Thanks all for your comments and suggestions.

The USB port on the phonene has multiple modes. check to make sure it is connected for file transfer, not just charging.

Likes davenn, CWatters, berkeman and 1 other person
russ_watters said:
The USB port on the phonene has multiple modes. check to make sure it is connected for file transfer, not just charging.
Thanks, but how to I get access to info on the modes? Strange thing is the USB does charge the phone, but it does not seem to recognize it.

russ_watters said:
Thanks! I never was able to see files on my Android phone when connected to my laptop, but now I can. I went to the Verizon website and searched for viewing files on my laptop, and this answer gave me the key (I have no idea what "Marshmallow" is, but whatever):

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/1435981#1435981
upload_2018-7-25_10-29-20.png

The key for me was to pull down the notification bar thing at the top of my phone display, and tap on the USB icon to change from charging to file transfer (and I selected "Just Once" to avoid having charging problems the next time I plugged in my phone). Now I can access my pictures via the DCIM folder, which is a huge help for my work. I transfer documentation and setup pictures all the time, but up to how I had to keep e-mailing them to myself (and WiFi is spotty at my current work location).

Thanks! :smile:

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-25_10-29-20.png
    upload_2018-7-25_10-29-20.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 1,982
Last edited:
Likes harborsparrow, Nik_2213, russ_watters and 1 other person
berkeman said:
Thanks! I never was able to see files on my Android phone when connected to my laptop, but now I can. I went to the Verizon website and searched for viewing files on my laptop, and this answer gave me the key (I have no idea what "Marshmallow" is, but whatever):

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/1435981#1435981
View attachment 228361

The key for me was to pull down the notification bar thing at the top of my phone display, and tap on the USB icon to change from charging to file transfer (and I selected "Just Once" to avoid having charging problems the next time I plugged in my phone). Now I can access my pictures via the DCIM folder, which is a huge help for my work. I transfer documentation and setup pictures all the time, but up to how I had to keep e-mailing them to myself (and WiFi is spotty at my current work location).

Thanks! :smile:
Thanks, both. I have the settings that allow for it. I guess it now comes down to seeing if the problem is with the USB cable or the PC itself.

Update , for anyone who may be interested. Phone was recognize on another computer using my USB. I wish I had something like a lab available for my own testing. I had to buy a Starbucks run to convince the repair people to let me use their stuff for a few minutes.

Likes Tom.G and berkeman
LOL

I seem to recall that earlier versions of Windows (XP?) needed a driver update/patch/add-on to talk to such devices. Perhaps Microsoft is up to their old tricks again.

edit:
If SFC (System File Check) is still part of Win10 try running that ('SFC /scannow' from a Command line.)

p.s. I'm (still!) running XP and it won't recognize the wife's Fire Tablet. She's not interested so I didn't follow up.

Tom.G said:
I seem to recall that earlier versions of Windows (XP?) needed a driver update/patch/add-on to talk to such devices. Perhaps Microsoft is up to their old tricks again.

edit:
If SFC (System File Check) is still part of Win10 try running that ('SFC /scannow' from a Command line.)

p.s. I'm (still!) running XP and it won't recognize the wife's Fire Tablet. She's not interested so I didn't follow up.

I have WIn 10, but get this weird stuff. It used to recognize it, but it does not anymore, for who knows what reason.

Tom.G said:

It is... you must run cmd as an administrator, though.

sfc(1).PNG

Try this, too...

upload_2018-7-26_22-18-28.png

See if you get something like this...

upload_2018-7-26_22-22-29.png

Attachments

• sfc(1).PNG
    sfc(1).PNG
    23.4 KB · Views: 1,535
  • upload_2018-7-26_22-18-28.png
    upload_2018-7-26_22-18-28.png
    3 KB · Views: 1,302
  • upload_2018-7-26_22-22-29.png
    upload_2018-7-26_22-22-29.png
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,351
Last edited:
Likes Tom.G and WWGD
Try: https://www.google.com/search?&q=windows+10+does+not+recognize+android+phone
It's appearently not a new problem, that search returns 343 000 000 results. (you could spend how many lifetimes reading all of those?)
High on the list was https://windowsreport.com/windows-10-doesnt-recognize-android/ which lists 10 possible fixes.

Barring that approach, there is rolling back to a Restore Point from before the failure, if their is one, or un-installing Updates back to when it was working.

I have had occassional success with doing a Restore that didn't seem to help followed by 'SFC /scannow'.

berkeman said:
I have no idea what "Marshmallow" is, but whatever
Codename for Android 6.0. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_Marshmallow

They are code named after sweets. I don't know when we will reach Android Diabeetus :biggrin:.

@WWGD

This has happened to me as well. It is a nightmare to troubleshoot this kind of stuff because each device has a different manufacturer driver on Windows. One day it works, the other it doesn't. For really messed up stuff, system restore did it for me. Like @Tom.G said.

Attempt this first (to try to narrow down the problem): https://developer.android.com/studio/run/oem-usb

It is for a guide for developers, but if you manage to get ADB recognized, you can attempt this then (or try this first, it doesn't matter much):

https://www.howtogeek.com/195607/ho...evice-to-show-up-in-file-explorer-if-it-isnt/

What is the goal here? Get the MTP USB driver to work. Those are the keywords. MTP USB.

Likes berkeman and WWGD
Does your windows pc do _anything_ when you connect/disconect the phone?

Have you got another usb device you can try on your PC? Is that recognised?

Likes WWGD
CWatters said:

Thanks. I have asked some people but they have been too paranoid to think I was playing a trick on them. And I have been too cheap to get myself one for around $8. I will just buy one soon and get back to you with the next installment of the ZTE Phone Saga.

Try uninstalling the Android driver.
Connect your Android device to your computer> Open the Device Manager> Find the Android device (usually it is in the "Other Devices" or "Portable Devices" section)> Right-click on the device and select "Uninstall"> Disconnect the Android device Connect with computer> Reconnect again> Wait for Windows 10 to reinstall its driver> Check if Android device is now recognized.
In addition, enabling USB debugging and reinstalling the composite ADB interface are helpful solutions to the problem that Windows 10 not recognizing android.

Likes WWGD
CWatters said:

Sorry for the very late reply, I just saw it when someone else replied. My PC automatically starts charging the Android. Same with new device I bought. I will follow advice on latest post.

WWGD said:
Hi All,
I am trying to transfer files from my ZTE971 Android into my Windows 10 PC.
Problem is computer is not recognizing the Android when I plug it into the USB port.
Strange, since it used to recognizing it without any problem just a few months back.
I have checked in device manager, updating drivers for all USBs , unistalling, re-installing (.
But, hey, that's what you get with Win10, it seems, my settings changed randomly.
Any suggestions?
View attachment 228293
Perhaps you could use System Restore to reset Win 10 back to a date on which it was working -- that's often easier than trying to diagnose what went wrong, or reinstalling something.

Likes WWGD

1. Why is my Android ZTE device not being recognized by Windows 10?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be due to a faulty USB cable, outdated drivers, or incorrect settings on your device. It is also possible that your device is not compatible with Windows 10.

2. How can I fix the issue of Windows 10 not recognizing my Android ZTE device?

First, try using a different USB cable to connect your device to your computer. If that doesn't work, make sure that your device is set to "File Transfer" mode when connected to your computer. You may also need to update your drivers or install specific software for your device to be recognized by Windows 10.

3. Is there a specific driver I need to install for my Android ZTE device to be recognized by Windows 10?

Yes, you will need to install the appropriate driver for your specific Android ZTE device. You can usually find this driver on the manufacturer's website. Make sure to download and install the correct version for your device and Windows 10.

4. Can a software update on my Android ZTE device fix the issue of it not being recognized by Windows 10?

In some cases, a software update on your device may fix the issue of it not being recognized by Windows 10. Make sure to check for any available updates on your device and install them if necessary.

5. If my Android ZTE device is still not recognized by Windows 10 after trying all the solutions, what else can I do?

If none of the above solutions work, you may need to check if your device is fully charged and try using a different computer. It is also possible that there is an issue with your device's hardware, in which case you may need to contact the manufacturer for further assistance.