Can You Solve This Non-linear First Order PDE with Cauchy Data?

• Thread starter supermiedos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde
In summary, the conversation involves finding the general solution for the non-linear equation yux - xuy = xyu2 and then solving a Cauchy problem with the Cauchy data x = y = u. The student is seeking guidance on how to approach the problem, and the teacher suggests dividing out a factor of u after assuming u is not zero. The student then clarifies that they need to find the general solution first, before solving for the condition x = y = u.
supermiedos

Homework Statement

Find the general solution of Solve yux - xuy = xyu2

Next, solve the Cauchy problem with the Cauchy data x = y = u

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My teacher told us we should investigate how to solve this. The problem is we just have seen linear first order PDE, but this is non-linear! Could you please give me a hint or a name to start with?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assume u is not zero. Apply your condition that x=y=u and divide out a factor of u.

RUber said:
Assume u is not zero. Apply your condition that x=y=u and divide out a factor of u.
I'm terrible sorry I didn't state the problem correctly. First I must find the general solution and next the condition x = y = u.

Related to Can You Solve This Non-linear First Order PDE with Cauchy Data?

1. What is a Cauchy-problem in terms of PDE?

A Cauchy-problem is a type of initial value problem in partial differential equations (PDEs). It involves finding a solution to a PDE that satisfies a given set of initial conditions.

2. What are the steps for solving a Cauchy-problem in PDE?

The general steps for solving a Cauchy-problem in PDE are:

• Identify the type of PDE and its order
  • Write down the given initial conditions
  • Convert the PDE into its standard form
  • Apply separation of variables, if possible
  • Solve for the separated equations and combine them to get the general solution
  • Use the initial conditions to determine the constants in the general solution
  • Write down the final solution to the Cauchy-problem

3. Can all PDEs be solved using the Cauchy-problem method?

No, not all PDEs can be solved using the Cauchy-problem method. This method is only applicable for certain types of PDEs, such as linear PDEs with constant coefficients.

4. How does the uniqueness of the solution of a Cauchy-problem in PDEs affect its solvability?

The uniqueness of the solution of a Cauchy-problem in PDEs is important in determining its solvability. If the solution is unique, then the problem is well-posed and has a unique solution. However, if the solution is not unique, then the problem is ill-posed and may not have a solution or may have multiple solutions.

5. What are some real-life applications of Cauchy-problems in PDEs?

Cauchy-problems in PDEs have numerous applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. Some examples include modeling heat transfer in materials, analyzing fluid flow in pipes, and predicting the spread of diseases. They are also used in image processing and financial modeling.