Can You Spot the Lie? - A Game of Truths and Deceptions

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, you were shot by a drunk cop, you skied in the Bering Sea, and you were deported from Bulgaria.
lendav_rott said:
4. I like to eat at McDonald's 3 or more times a week.
Surely this must be the lie!

Physics news on Phys.org
Rats...must have been too obvious :S What gave it away?

lendav_rott said:
Rats...must have been too obvious :S What gave it away?

Really? :biggrin: McD is awful :yuck::smile:. I will post four new ones in a while, hang on...

Here's my new ones:

1. I've got 6 guitars at home, and one of them is worth about $4000.
2. I've got three keyboards/synthesizers at home.
3. I've got more than 80 loudspeaker drivers at home at the moment.
4. I can play the guitar, bass, piano/keyboard, sing and play drums.

Last edited:
I'll go with number 3.

I'd say that's a good guess, but unfortunately it is true. One of my hobbies is building loudspeakers, and I am about to build a bunch, so I've got very many drivers at home at the moment. The magnetic field where I store them must be very, very weird...:smile:

E: nevermind, I only get 1 guess

According to the OP, "Everyone gets one guess which is the lie.", so I have to wait for the next persons guess.

EDIT: Yeah, I saw you noticed it above, good.

DennisN said:
Here's my new ones:

1. I've got 6 guitars at home, and one of them is worth about $4000.
2. I've got three keyboards/synthesizers at home.
3. I've got more than 80 loudspeaker drivers at home at the moment.
4. I can play the guitar, bass, piano/keyboard, sing and play drums.
Number 1.

Psinter said:
Number 1.
Sorry, it's true. I've got 2 electrical guitars, two acoustic guitars and two bass guitars. Now there's only two choices left, 2 or 4...:smile:

I'll guess number 4.

Borg said:
I'll guess number 4.
Correct!

2. True. I've got one master keyboard, one synthesizer and another keyboard which will be a gift to a friend.

4. Lie, since I can't play the drums. I play the other instruments/sing decently, but I can't say I can function as a drummer. I can "play" drums, that is, I know how to, and what I'm supposed to do, and I've desperately tried to learn it, but I can't keep the tempo :smile:. It requires a lot of practice.

EDIT: So Borg, it's your turn, if you like.

Last edited:
OK, here's some facts and a lie about me.

1. I have kissed the Blarney Stone.
2. I have been inside Bilbo Baggins's house.
3. I have seen the Northern Lights - during the day.
4. I once flew from Detroit to Los Angeles first class and flew back first class again on the next return flight - just for the fun of it.

DennisN said:
Sorry, it's true. I've got 2 electrical guitars, two acoustic guitars and two bass guitars.
Cool.
Borg said:
OK, here's some facts and a lie about me.

1. I have kissed the Blarney Stone.
2. I have been inside Bilbo Baggins's house.
3. I have seen the Northern Lights - during the day.
4. I once flew from Detroit to Los Angeles first class and flew back first class again on the next return flight - just for the fun of it.
Number 2. If you have, that's awesome!

Psinter said:
Cool.

Number 2. If you have, that's awesome!
Nope. I've been there.
Hobbiton Movie Set Tours

NZ_Hobbiton1.jpg

Hobbiton, very cool!

Hmm, I'd guess

Borg said:

is a lie.

DennisN said:
Hobbiton, very cool!

Hmm, I'd guess

is a lie.
Nope. Not that either. My mother worked for an airline when I was in my teens. At that time employees just had to pay for something called a zone tax for the areas where the flight passed. The zone tax was about $25 for a coach flight and double for a first class flight. She asked me one year what I wanted for my birthday so I said that I wanted to fly to LA and back by myself. The flights were on a 747 when the upper deck used to be configured as a lounge. During the first flight, there were 4 stewardesses and 3 passengers in first including myself. I played cards with one of them for most of that flight.

Borg said:
She asked me one year what I wanted for my birthday so I said that I wanted to fly to LA and back by myself.
:biggrin: Cool story!

I suppose you haven't kissed the Blarney Stone.

lendav_rott said:
I suppose you haven't kissed the Blarney Stone.
That's correct, I haven't. You're up. :smile:

Psinter said:
Amazing! :!) I didn't know there were tours.
From the looks of it, the place is in better shape than when I was there after the last of the original three was shot. The story that they told us was that it was supposed to be completely dismantled but bad weather prevented that from happening right away. When they shot the original three films the activities on the farm were treated like Area 51. After filming was over, word of course got out and people started asking the owner to see what was left. One thing led to another and they ended up bringing people by the busload. From what they told us, the Tolken heirs and the studio did not want tours but finally relented. The stipulation was that the landowner could not fix up anything or even paint the homes. This is why my picture shows the homes in a pretty sorry shape when compared to the ones on Tripadvisor. I'm guessing that when the studio came back wanting to film the Hobbit, he got a better agreement.

Anyone take it for me, I don't have time for a few days to venture here :(

Meh, screw it, figured a way to catch wifi with my phone

1. I drink a lot of milk, I love it.
2. I have jumped down from the 3rd floor as a kid resulting in no significant injury (on purpose).
3. My car can do 280 km/h tops (77.78 m/s for SI-fanatics or 174mph for those who use the Wrong system :) ).
4. I don't like any Grand Theft Auto video-game.

I think
lendav_rott said:
4. I don't like any Grand Theft Auto video-game.
is a lie.

I really don't like any, have tried - nothing about them appealed, therefore it's the truth. 2 chances left :)

lendav_rott said:
Meh, screw it, figured a way to catch wifi with my phone

1. I drink a lot of milk, I love it.

I place my money on this one :)

Oh come now, I love milk - been drinking milk since I was little and I don't see myself stop at any time soon. Reason, probably, the milk in Estonia is magnificent. In general, Estonian dairy product industry really knows their s*.

I think I remember you mentioning you drive a Celica therefore#3 is a lie :tongue:

This is why I don't and shouldn't gamble.

Yanick said:
I think I remember you mentioning you drive a Celica therefore#3 is a lie :tongue:

Good lad, it can do 240 at very tops, 230ish stable :D Your turn to lie :=)

Okay I'll give it a go.

1. I was questioned multiple times by the FBI in a mafia investigation.

2. I stopped going to bars/clubs at 21 years of age, the legal drinking age in the US.

3. I cannot do division by hand beyond the simplest of cases.

4. I once entered the Nathan's Famous Hot Dog eating contest and almost won.

Yanick said:
Okay I'll give it a go.

1. I was questioned multiple times by the FBI in a mafia investigation.

2. I stopped going to bars/clubs at 21 years of age, the legal drinking age in the US.

3. I cannot do division by hand beyond the simplest of cases.

4. I once entered the Nathan's Famous Hot Dog eating contest and almost won.

:rofl:

I'm guessing #4 is the lie.

Damnit, guess I'm a pretty bad liar. I did enter a pierogi (actually pelmeni, the Russian version) eating contest just down the boardwalk from Nathan's on Coney Island. I came in 4th, which is kind of the same but not as famous. I would've thought that the FBI thing was more unbelievable, I still can't quite wrap my brain around it.

I'm not as interesting as you guys, really had to think hard about some of the odd things that happened to me.

Yanick said:
Damnit, guess I'm a pretty bad liar. I did enter a pierogi (actually pelmeni, the Russian version) eating contest just down the boardwalk from Nathan's on Coney Island. I came in 4th, which is kind of the same but not as famous. I would've thought that the FBI thing was more unbelievable, I still can't quite wrap my brain around it.

I'm not as interesting as you guys, really had to think hard about some of the odd things that happened to me.

I thought the FBI story was too weird to be made-up! Glad you got through that OK.

I've gone a couple times already, I'll pass my turn to whoever wants it.