Can you switch specialities between undergrad and grad

In summary, it is common for individuals to switch fields between undergraduate and graduate school, as well as throughout their career. This includes switching from physics to neuroscience or from theoretical to experimental physics. It is important to note that most physics graduate programs require a degree in a related field, such as engineering physics or physical chemistry. However, it is still possible to switch to a different field, as the main purpose of undergraduate studies is to explore different options.
ImBadAtUsernames
I'm going into chemical physics for undergrad, but I'm worried that would hinder me in grad school if I decide to switch fields. Is it something to be concerned about?

Physics news on Phys.org
Plenty of people switch fields between undegrad and graduate school. I have classmates who switched from, for example, undergrad research in quantum physics to graduate research in neuroscience or undergrad research in solid state physics to graduate research in evolutionary biology. Plenty of scientists switch fields thorughout their career (for example, my PhD advisor has a PhD in physics, did a postdoc in biophysics, has a faculty position in a chemistry department, and now has part of the research group working on neurobiology).

I switched specialties within physics - in undergrad, I did numerical QFT and am now in graduate school doing experimental condensed matter. Quite the learning curve, but people do it all the itme.

In addition to the above comments, it's important to read the fine print. For admission, most physics graduate programs require an undergraduate degree in physics or something fairly close - engineering physics, physical chemistry, electrical engineering or mathematics with a physics minor... that kind of thing. An undergraduate degree in humanities won't qualify you. So the more dissimilar the subjects get, the lower the probability of a successful jump.

But generally, it's common to jump from one specialty to another. The point of undergrad is to explore your options.

Related to Can you switch specialities between undergrad and grad

1. Can I switch specialities between my undergraduate and graduate studies?

Yes, it is possible to switch specialities between your undergraduate and graduate studies. However, this may depend on the specific requirements and policies of the graduate program you are interested in.

2. Are there any limitations or restrictions when switching specialities for grad school?

Some graduate programs may have specific prerequisites or requirements for admission, including relevant coursework or experience in the desired speciality. It is important to research and understand the requirements of the program you are applying to.

3. Will switching specialities affect my chances of getting into a graduate program?

Switching specialities may affect your chances of getting into a graduate program if you do not have the necessary background or experience in the desired field. However, if you can demonstrate your interest and potential in the new speciality, it may not significantly impact your chances.

4. How can I prepare for switching specialities in grad school?

To prepare for switching specialities in grad school, you can take relevant courses, gain experience through internships or research opportunities, and seek guidance from professors or advisors in your desired field. You can also highlight your transferable skills and explain your motivation for switching specialities in your application.

5. Are there any advantages to switching specialities for grad school?

Switching specialities for grad school can broaden your knowledge and skills, and provide opportunities for interdisciplinary research and collaboration. It can also open up new career paths and increase your marketability in the job market.