Cannon projectile motion problem

In summary, the net should be placed at a height of .54797 meters above the cannon in order to catch the daredevil.
Jameson
Gold Member
MHB
A daredevil is shot out of a cannon at 24.0° to the horizontal with an initial speed of 26.0 m/s. A net is positioned a horizontal distance of 50.0 m from the cannon. At what height above the cannon should the net be placed in order to catch the daredevil?

Ok, here's how the teacher explained it.

Vx = Vcos(theta)
Vy=Vsin(theta)

t = (horizontal distance) / Vx

and finally y = VyT + .5gt^2

------------
So, here's the work.

Vx = 23.75
Vy = 10.575

t = 2.105

y = (10.575)(2.105) + .5(-9.8)(2.105)^2

= .54797 m

Help me

Physics news on Phys.org
Basically this is a projectile motion problem.

In a projectile motion, the motion is split up into 2 parts - Horizontal and vertical. That's what you teacher has done here (Vcos(theta) and Vsin(Theta)).

You got to remember that the two motions are independent of each other,
so we can apply equations of motion to both.

What we have to do in this problem is :
When the dare devil has traveled 50 m horizontally, we need to find his vertical position. This is where the net is to placed, right?

So, That's all!

Yeah, I understand that the two motions are independent of each other. I just don't see how to relate them so I can get the correct answer. Can someone show me where I went wrong?

Thanks

Okay first you got that the Vi is 26 m/s, correct?
so we need to divide that into 2 components, vertical, horizontal.
so

---------/
--------/-| Vertical Vi, referred to as Vy sin 24*=26(hypo)/Vy
-------/--|
------/___|
-----24*---Horizontal Vi, referred to as Vx cos 24*=26(hypo)/Vx

so we got

H-|a=0---|Vix=23.75-|x=50
---------------------------------------
V-|a=-9.8|Viy=10.575|x=?

we have three things on the horizontal so we find time with x=Vit + (1/2)at^2

a=0 so we are left with 50(distance)=23.75(Vix)t
t=2.105 s

now we have 3 things on the bottom so we can solve for x with the same equation

x=10.575(2.105) - (1/2)(9.8)(2.105)^2
so we get x=.55

x=10.575(2.105) - (1/2)(9.8)(2.105)^2

Doesn't, acceleration due to gravity opposes the motion?

Edit: n/m, you just moved the negative sign.

Last edited:
hmm i might have confused him, thanks for clarifying that. :smile:

Related to Cannon projectile motion problem

What is a cannon projectile motion problem?

A cannon projectile motion problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the motion of an object launched from a cannon, taking into account factors such as initial velocity, angle of launch, and gravitational force.

How do I solve a cannon projectile motion problem?

To solve a cannon projectile motion problem, you must first identify and define all relevant variables, such as initial velocity, angle of launch, and gravitational force. Then, you can use equations such as the projectile motion formula to calculate the object's displacement, velocity, and acceleration at different points in its motion.

What are the assumptions made in a cannon projectile motion problem?

The assumptions made in a cannon projectile motion problem may vary, but some common ones include assuming a flat and level surface, ignoring air resistance, and assuming the cannon is perfectly aligned with the ground.

How does changing the angle of launch affect the trajectory of a cannon projectile?

Changing the angle of launch can significantly affect the trajectory of a cannon projectile. For example, a lower launch angle will result in a shorter horizontal distance traveled, while a higher launch angle will result in a longer horizontal distance traveled. Additionally, a launch angle of 45 degrees will result in the maximum horizontal distance traveled for a given initial velocity.

What is the relationship between the initial velocity and the maximum height reached by a cannon projectile?

The initial velocity and the maximum height reached by a cannon projectile are directly proportional. This means that as the initial velocity increases, the maximum height reached also increases. This relationship is described by the equation: h = (v^2 * sin^2θ) / 2g, where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the gravitational acceleration.