Cannon Projectiles: Find v_0 & theta for Roof of Flooded Building

In summary, the cannon should aim at an angle theta (in radians) of 45/12 to shoot emergency packets that land gently and slide along to a stop.
postfan

Homework Statement

A cannon is shooting emergency packets to people stranded on the roof of a flooded building of height H = 106 meters relative to the cannon, the corner of which is located a distance D = 52 meters from the cannon. It is desired that the incoming packets are flying tangent to the roof as shown so that they land gently with as little impact as possible and slide along to a stop.

Find the initial speed v_0 and at what angle theta (in radians) the cannon should be aimed to achieve the above scenario.

Homework Equations

y=ax^2+bx+c

The Attempt at a Solution

I created a parabola in the form of y=ax^2+bx+c that goes through the points (0,0) and (52,106) with a=-4.9 (2nd derivative is acceleration) and then finding b using the first derivative getting b=v=256.838, but this isn't the right answer. Could anyone please tell me what I am doing wrong and how to fix it. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that your equation of parabola is y = y(x). So the derivatives you are talking about are derivatives with respect to horizontal displacement x, not time, so 2a is not acceleration and b is not velocity.

Could you please elaborate, I don't fully understand.

postfan said:
Could you please elaborate, I don't fully understand.

Which part do you not understand?

Vertical and horizontal movement is described by equations:
##\begin{cases}x=v_0t\cos\theta\\y=v_0t\sin\theta-\frac{1}{2}gt^2\end{cases}##

Last edited:
Why isn't 2a the acceleration and why isn't b the velocity?

postfan said:
Why isn't 2a the acceleration and why isn't b the velocity?

Acceleration and velocity are defined as derivatives with respect to time. x is not time.

So then what is the acceleration and velocity?

postfan said:
So then what is the acceleration and velocity?

Velocity is the time derivative of displacement. Displacement is the vector (x, y). Acceleration is the time derivative of velocity.

postfan said:

Homework Statement

A cannon is shooting emergency packets to people stranded on the roof of a flooded building of height H = 106 meters relative to the cannon, the corner of which is located a distance D = 52 meters from the cannon. It is desired that the incoming packets are flying tangent to the roof as shown so that they land gently with as little impact as possible and slide along to a stop.

Find the initial speed v_0 and at what angle theta (in radians) the cannon should be aimed to achieve the above scenario.

Homework Equations

y=ax^2+bx+c

The Attempt at a Solution

I created a parabola in the form of y=ax^2+bx+c that goes through the points (0,0) and (52,106) with a=-4.9 (2nd derivative is acceleration) and then finding b using the first derivative getting b=v=256.838, but this isn't the right answer. Could anyone please tell me what I am doing wrong and how to fix it. Thanks!

To meet your requirements, you want a projectile that, from a vertical point of view, reaches a maximum height of 102 m. On Earth that is true for only one vertical velocity.

In the time it takes to reach that maximum height, the horizontal distance of 52 m has to be covered.

You can use the usual vertical motion formulae to calculate the vertical speed needed.

I used to remember that for vertical projection, if the initial velocity is 10 m/s up, the max ht reached is a little over 5m.
20 m/s gives height just over 20m
30 m/s give 45+
40 m/s gives 80m+
50 m/s gives 125m+

From that I can guess that these projectiles must have a vertical velocity of ~ 45 m/s, and will take approx 4.5 seconds to reach maximum height.

Horizontally, that means they cover 52 m in 4.5 seconds - so at a velocity ~ 12 m/s

Adding those two components as vectors we get an initial speed around √(2025 + 144) ≈ 45.1

The tangent the angle above the horizontal will be approx. 45/12

If you use the usual equations you will find the actual vertical and horizontal speeds and should thus get the correct answer

1. What is the purpose of finding v0 and theta for the roof of a flooded building?

The purpose of finding v0 (initial velocity) and theta (angle of launch) for the roof of a flooded building is to determine the optimal trajectory for a cannon projectile to reach a desired target. This information is crucial in ensuring the safety and accuracy of the cannon's firing.

2. How do you calculate v0 and theta for a cannon projectile?

To calculate v0 and theta for a cannon projectile, you will need to use the equations of motion and solve for the unknown variables. These equations include the horizontal displacement equation, vertical displacement equation, and the range equation. You will also need to consider factors such as air resistance and the height of the building.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of v0 and theta calculations?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of v0 and theta calculations, including variations in air resistance, changes in wind direction and speed, and differences in elevation between the cannon and target. Other factors such as temperature, humidity, and the weight of the cannonball can also impact the trajectory of the projectile.

4. Is there a specific formula for calculating v0 and theta for a roof of a flooded building?

No, there is no specific formula for calculating v0 and theta for a roof of a flooded building. The calculations will depend on the specific scenario and factors involved, such as the height and angle of the roof, the distance to the target, and any external factors affecting the projectile's motion.

5. What are some practical applications of finding v0 and theta for a roof of a flooded building?

Finding v0 and theta for a roof of a flooded building can have practical applications in various fields, such as military operations, engineering, and disaster response. It can also be used in recreational activities, such as in the design of amusement park rides or in sports like golf or archery. Additionally, these calculations can help in predicting the trajectory of natural disasters, such as hurricanes or tsunamis, to aid in evacuation and response efforts.