Cannon shooting emergency packets

In summary, the cannon should be aimed at an angle of θ=40 degrees to achieve the desired outcome of the emergency packets landing gently on the roof.
naianator

Homework Statement

A cannon at ground level is shooting emergency packets to people stranded on the roof of a flooded building of height H=120 meters. The corner of the building is located a distance D=40 meters from the cannon. It is desired that the incoming packets are flying tangent to the roof as shown so that they land gently with as little impact as possible and slide along to a stop.

Find the initial speed v0 and at what angle θ (in degrees) the cannon should be aimed to achieve the above scenario.

Homework Equations

x(t)=x_0+v_0x*t+1/2*a*t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

x(t)=v_ox*t
40=v_ox*t
t=40/v_ox
y(t)=v_oy*t-1/2*g*t^2
120=v_oy*t-1/2*g*t^2
v_y(t)=v_oy-g*t and since it hits the roof at the top of the curve v_y(t)=0=v_oy-g*t and
t=v_oy/g
This is where I get stuck. v_oy/g=40/v_ox and i can't find a way to relate the velocities so that i can substitute tan(theta)=v_oy/v_ox

Same goes if i try to substitute t=40/v_ox into 120=v_oy*t-1/2*g*t^2 so maybe I'm just going about this the wrong way

Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
naianator said:
... tangent to the roof as shown ...
Shown where?

You have three equations and three unknowns. The basic technique is to find or develop an equation which expresses one unknown in terms of the other two, then use this to replace that unknown in each of the other two equations. You will then have two equations with two unknowns. Repeat process.

haruspex said:
You have three equations and three unknowns. The basic technique is to find or develop an equation which expresses one unknown in terms of the other two, then use this to replace that unknown in each of the other two equations. You will then have two equations with two unknowns. Repeat process.
Thats sort of what I've been trying to do. Any suggestions as to which one to use?

i found v_ox=40/t so v_ox=40g/v_oy and v_oy=v_ox*tan(theta) so v_ox=sqrt(40g/tan(theta)) but I'm not sure how to relate that back to v or if it even helps me

and i think the picture should be attached now

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-19 at 4.07.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-19 at 4.07.35 PM.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 491
naianator said:
Thats sort of what I've been trying to do. Any suggestions as to which one to use?
You had v_oy/g=40/v_ox, and you mentioned substituting t=40/v_ox into 120=v_oy*t-1/2*g*t^2, but didn't post the result.
Having made those two steps, you should be down to two equations and two unknowns.

Likes naianator
haruspex said:
You had v_oy/g=40/v_ox, and you mentioned substituting t=40/v_ox into 120=v_oy*t-1/2*g*t^2, but didn't post the result.
Having made those two steps, you should be down to two equations and two unknowns.
Yes, I got it thank you. I was overlooking a couple of things.

1. What are "cannon shooting emergency packets"?

"Cannon shooting emergency packets" are specialized packets that are designed to be fired from a cannon in emergency situations. They contain essential supplies and equipment that can be quickly deployed to a specific location or group of people in need.

2. How are these packets fired from a cannon?

The packets are specifically designed to fit into a cannon's firing mechanism. They are loaded into the cannon and fired using a similar method as traditional cannonballs. However, these packets are designed to be fired at a lower velocity to minimize potential damage to the contents inside.

3. What supplies and equipment are typically included in these packets?

The contents of these packets can vary depending on the intended use and location of deployment. However, common items include emergency food and water rations, first aid supplies, communication devices, and survival equipment such as blankets and flashlights.

4. How are these packets useful in emergency situations?

These packets are useful in emergency situations as they provide essential supplies and equipment that can be quickly deployed to those in need. They can also be fired from a safe distance, making them ideal for reaching areas that are difficult to access due to natural disasters or other emergencies.

5. Who typically uses these cannon shooting emergency packets?

These packets are often used by emergency response teams, military forces, and disaster relief organizations. They can also be used by individuals or groups who are preparing for potential emergencies and need a quick and efficient way to deploy supplies and equipment.