Canonical definition of Angular Momentum,

In summary, the conversation discusses a solid body rotating around a fixed axis with angular velocity, represented by the position vector ##\vec r## and the domain of integration ##\Omega##. The angular momentum is defined as the integral of ##\vec r## crossed with the product of the mass and the velocity. The equation for angular momentum is then decomposed into its z-direction and radial components. The z component is represented by the integral of ##r^2 \omega sin^2\theta## while the radial component is represented by the integral of ##r^2 \omega sin\theta cos\theta##. The author's problem is simplifying the latter component when the center of mass is on the axis of rotation. The conversation
guv
Let's start with an arbitrary solid body rotating around a fixed axis of rotation with angular velocity ##\vec \omega## in the ## \hat z## direction. For simplicity, let's say the origin O is on the axis of rotation. Take a look at the picture I sketched in the next post. Tried my best to be clear about the notations I used in my derivation.

By definition, $$\vec L = \int_{\Omega} \vec r \times (dm \; \vec v) = \int_{\Omega} \vec r \times (\vec \omega \times \vec r) dm$$

Where ##\vec r## is is position position vector of dm from origin O and ##\Omega## is the domain of integration (the entire solid body).

If the angle between axis of rotation and position vector is ##\theta## (imagine ##\hat z## points upward from O, ##\vec r## points to the upper right from O), then
$$\vec L = \int r^2 \omega sin(\theta) dm \hat L$$

where ##\hat L## is a unit vector from dm perpendicular from ##\vec r## (imagine this unit vector from dm going upper left from dm)

We can decompose this ##\hat L## into its z direction component and a radial component.
$$\vec L = \int r^2 \omega sin^2\theta \hat z dm + \int r^2 \omega sin\theta cos\theta (-\hat p) dm$$

Here is ##\hat p## is a unit vector pointing outward from dm perpendicular to axis of rotation.

If ##\omega## is a constant, then
$$\int r^2 \omega sin^2\theta \hat z dm = \omega \int r^2 sin^2\theta dm \hat z = I_{zz} \omega \hat z$$

This is the z component of the angular moment since the ##\vec \omega = (0, 0, \omega)##.

My problem is I couldn't really simply ##\int r^2 \omega sin\theta cos\theta (-\hat p) dm## into 0 when center of mass is on the axis of rotation. Can someone help? Thanks,

guv

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sketch55ce836b7da65.png

The Center of Mass ##\vec R_{cm}## is defined by ##\int_{\Omega} (\vec r - \vec R_{cm}) \; dm \equiv 0##.

My question is inspired by the derivation in Louis Brand's "Vector Analysis" book, p.176-177 when the author jumps from eq. (2) to eq. (3). I couldn't complete this derivation.

Is the body rotating?? In that case doesn't sin[tex]\theta [/tex] and cos[tex]\theta [/tex] becomes sin pi/2 and cos pi/2? so one of the trigonometric ratio becomes 0. Not sure though, got to think. Better wait for someone else's reply.

What is the definition of Angular Momentum?

Angular Momentum is a physics concept that describes the rotational motion of an object around a fixed axis. It is a measure of how much rotational motion an object possesses.

How is Angular Momentum calculated?

Angular Momentum is calculated by multiplying the object's moment of inertia (a measure of its resistance to rotational motion) by its angular velocity (the rate at which it rotates around the axis). The formula is L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

What is the difference between Angular Momentum and Linear Momentum?

Angular Momentum and Linear Momentum are both measures of an object's motion, but they refer to different types of motion. Angular Momentum is associated with rotational motion around an axis, while Linear Momentum is associated with straight-line motion.

What are the units of Angular Momentum?

The units of Angular Momentum are kilogram meters squared per second (kg m^2/s). This is equivalent to the units of moment of inertia (kg m^2) multiplied by the units of angular velocity (1/s).

What are some real-life examples of Angular Momentum?

Some examples of Angular Momentum in everyday life include the spinning of a top, the rotation of a bicycle wheel, and the motion of a figure skater spinning on the ice. It is also observed in celestial bodies, such as planets rotating around their axes and orbiting around the sun.