Can't understand integral limits in question

In summary, the author is unsure about how to write the integral for a function that takes multiple integrals over different variables. He eventually solves the problem by replacing the limits with a simpler expression and then integrating over y (yielding a triangle area).
sa1988
Just a quick one - Have I deciphered the wording of this question properly?

All necessary info is in the embedded image.

To me the limits describe a typical 'pyramid in the corner', but the fact it's an integral over the function 'x' is confusing me. Do I just go with it and generate an answer at the end?

2d0l6bs.png

Physics news on Phys.org
That's going to be difficult, because when integrating over x you don't know the upper bound !
Pyramid in the corner is the picture I get too. I have even sketched it. I notice that when x is known, I know what the integral over the other two represents.

If you want to write the integral properly, it would be a good thing to distinguish between bounds and integration variables. Much clearer. ([edit] In this case not necessary, I realize)

BvU said:
That's going to be difficult,

Well the integral I wrote does come out with a numerical solution. I just don't know if I wrote the correct integral or not. :confused:

Well the integral I wrote does come out with a numerical solution
Ah, I see. You are quite right.

However, if you pick an x, ànd a y, you can easily integrate over z: ##\int_{z=0}^{1-x-y} dz## yielding a simpler expression. Then over y (yielding a triangle area) then finally over x.

So, :redface: my nitwit "distinguish" comment is superfluous and I nitwittedly wanted to improve on an integral expression that wasn't wrong in the first place.

BvU said:
Ah, I see. You are quite right.

However, if you pick an x, ànd a y, you can easily integrate over z: ##\int_{z=0}^{1-x-y} dz## yielding a simpler expression. Then over y (yielding a triangle area) then finally over x.

Hmm, I can't see a major world of difference between my ##\int_{x=0}^{1-z-y} dx## and your ##\int_{z=0}^{1-x-y} dz## ?

Ah well, as long as I was correct with my interpretation of the question, and as long as it came to a good answer, I'm happy!

Edit: Oh wait I see it now. If I save the dx integral till last, I'll have far less algebraic havoc to deal with as I go through. Great, all understood, cheers!

You mean ##\int_{x=0}^{1-z-y} {\bf x}\, dx## ?

We agree it's the same thing, but I liked to write it as
$$ I = \int_{x=0}^1\, x\, \left ( \int_{y=0}^{1-x} \left ( \int_{z=0}^{1-x-y} dz \right ) dy \right ) dx =\int_{x=0}^1\, x\, \left ( \int_{y=0}^{1-x} 1-x-y \ dy \right ) dx = \int_{x=0}^1\, x\, \left ({1\over 2}(1-x)^2\right )\, dx $$I ended up with 5/24, and you ?

BvU said:
You mean ##\int_{x=0}^{1-z-y} {\bf x}\, dx## ?

Ah yeah that's what I meant, sorry I left out the x .

We agree it's the same thing, but I liked to write it as
$$ I = \int_{x=0}^1\, x\, \left ( \int_{y=0}^{1-x} \left ( \int_{z=0}^{1-x-y} dz \right ) dy \right ) dx =\int_{x=0}^1\, x\, \left ( \int_{y=0}^{1-x} 1-x-y \ dy \right ) dx = \int_{x=0}^1\, x\, \left ({1\over 2}(1-x)^2\right )\, dx $$I ended up with 5/24, and you ?

Hmm I get 1/24? I've punched it into mathematica a few different ways and get the same answer with that too.

Roles have reversed! You correctly correct my 5/24. It should be 1/24.
Time to move on to the next exercise...

Haha, fantastic. Well my main issue was understanding the limits set out in the question, and it turns out everything was ok in the end. Solving it was just a bonus. Thanks!

Oh and I looked back at the method I set out in the original post, and I don't even know why I had the limits set up that way around. Ok it worked but taking dz first should have been obvious! Ah well, living and learning.

Related to Can't understand integral limits in question

1. What is an integral limit?

An integral limit is the range of values within which a variable is being integrated. It is represented by the lower and upper bound of the integral symbol. For example, in the integral ∫ab f(x) dx, "a" and "b" are the lower and upper limits, respectively.

2. Why are integral limits important?

Integral limits are important because they define the scope of the integration and determine the area under a curve or the volume of a solid. They also help to evaluate definite integrals and solve real-world problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. How do you determine the limits of integration?

The limits of integration are usually given in the problem or can be determined based on the context of the question. In some cases, they may also be determined by finding the points of intersection between the curves being integrated.

4. Can you change the limits of integration in an integral?

Yes, it is possible to change the limits of integration in an integral. This can be done by using a variable substitution or by applying a different integration technique, such as integration by parts or trigonometric substitution.

5. What happens if the integral limits are not specified?

If the integral limits are not specified, the integral becomes an indefinite integral and does not have a numerical value. It will result in an antiderivative, which is a function with an arbitrary constant. In order to find a definite integral, the limits of integration must be specified.