Spherical Integral with abs value in limits

In summary, it appears that the limits of the integral are a cone with a round cap and that the limits of ρ are between 0 and 3. The shape of the cone is symmetrical about the yz plane. The limits of the integral can be obtained by integrating x from 0 to 3/2*sqrt(2).
elements

Homework Statement

This has been driving me crazy I can't for the life of me figure out how to convert the limits of this integral into spherical coordinates because there is an absolute value in the limits and I'm absolutely clueless as to what to do with with.

Homework Equations

$$\int_{\frac {-3\sqrt{2}} {2}}^\frac {3\sqrt{2}} {2} \int_{y=|x|}^\sqrt{(9-x^2)} \int_{z=\sqrt {x^2+y^2}}^\sqrt{(9-x^2-y^2)} z^2 \, dz \, dy \, dx $$

The Attempt at a Solution

Limits so far have been:
$$\sqrt {x^2+y^2} ≤ z ≤ \sqrt{(9-x^2-y^2)}$$ - this is a cone with a round cap
$$|x| ≤ y ≤ \sqrt{(9-x^2)}$$
$$\frac {-3\sqrt{2}} {2} ≤ x ≤ \frac {3\sqrt{2}} {2}$$

I know from the conversion formulas that:
z22cos2φ

and the limits of ρ are:
0≤ ρ ≤3

I am just stuck on what to do with with the |x| as I am absolutely clueless on how to convert that ro spherical coordinates or obtain θ from it as it's a piece wise function with two sides.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, take this idea with a good deal of salt because I'm just learning about this stuff as well, but I think from looking at the limits that the shape you are integrating is totally symmetrical about the yz plane, which is to say that you should just be able to treat the limit as x, then integrate x from 0 to 3/2*sqrt(2) and double the result. All the x's in the entire problem are squared, so I don't think it will interfere with any other limits.

elements said:

Homework Statement

This has been driving me crazy I can't for the life of me figure out how to convert the limits of this integral into spherical coordinates because there is an absolute value in the limits and I'm absolutely clueless as to what to do with with.

Homework Equations

$$\int_{\frac {-3\sqrt{2}} {2}}^\frac {3\sqrt{2}} {2} \int_{y=|x|}^\sqrt{(9-x^2)} \int_{z=\sqrt {x^2+y^2}}^\sqrt{(9-x^2-y^2)} z^2 \, dz \, dy \, dx $$

The Attempt at a Solution

Limits so far have been:
$$\sqrt {x^2+y^2} ≤ z ≤ \sqrt{(9-x^2-y^2)}$$ - this is a cone with a round cap
$$|x| ≤ y ≤ \sqrt{(9-x^2)}$$
$$\frac {-3\sqrt{2}} {2} ≤ x ≤ \frac {3\sqrt{2}} {2}$$

I know from the conversion formulas that:
z22cos2φ

and the limits of ρ are:
0≤ ρ ≤3

I am just stuck on what to do with with the |x| as I am absolutely clueless on how to convert that to spherical coordinates or obtain θ from it as it's a piece wise function with two sides.
Do you have a picture of the volume? Do you see that ##\phi## measures from the ##z## axis to the side of the cone? What angle is that? Finally, draw a picture of just ##y=|x|## in the ##xy## plane. Remember that ##\theta## is the same in polar and spherical coordinates. What values of ##\theta## would sweep through the region above ##y = |x|## in the ##xy## plane?
If you aren't required to use spherical coordinates, cylindrical is also a good way to go on this problem. Actually, it's a good exercise to do it both ways.

LCKurtz said:
Do you have a picture of the volume? Do you see that ##\phi## measures from the ##z## axis to the side of the cone? What angle is that? Finally, draw a picture of just ##y=|x|## in the ##xy## plane. Remember that ##\theta## is the same in polar and spherical coordinates. What values of ##\theta## would sweep through the region above ##y = |x|## in the ##xy## plane?
If you aren't required to use spherical coordinates, cylindrical is also a good way to go on this problem. Actually, it's a good exercise to do it both ways.
I do not have a picture of the volume but I tried to graph the it and I'm having trouble visualizing the integral because of the odd shape

elements said:
because there is an absolute value in the limits
So break the outer integral into two ranges.

LCKurtz said:

elements said:
I do not have a picture of the volume but I tried to graph the it and I'm having trouble visualizing the integral because of the odd shape

So what about my questions about ##\phi## and ##\theta##? Answer them and you will have the answers to your original post.

LCKurtz said:
So what about my questions about ##\phi## and ##\theta##? Answer them and you will have the answers to your original post.

it feels too simple but is it possible that the bounds would be:
cos-1(-√2/2) ≤ ##\theta## ≤ cos-1(√2/2
and phi is bounded by
0 ≤ ##\phi##≤ cos-1(##\phi##=1/√2)

elements said:
it feels too simple but is it possible that the bounds would be:
cos-1(-√2/2) ≤ ##\theta## ≤ cos-1(√2/2
and phi is bounded by
0 ≤ ##\phi##≤ cos-1(##\phi##=1/√2)
It is simple because spherical coordinates are the perfect choice for this problem. But you needn't give complicated expressions for the angles. Just state the angles. After all, you should know what angle ##\arccos(\frac 1 {\sqrt 2})## is. Ditto for the ##\theta## limits. When you write down the actual angles you will see your use of ##\arccos## has caused your ##\theta## inequalities to be problematical.

LCKurtz said:
It is simple because spherical coordinates are the perfect choice for this problem. But you needn't give complicated expressions for the angles. Just state the angles. After all, you should know what angle ##\arccos(\frac 1 {\sqrt 2})## is. Ditto for the ##\theta## limits. When you write down the actual angles you will see your use of ##\arccos## has caused your ##\theta## inequalities to be problematical.

Ah ok I see so the actual bounds would be:

Π/4 ≤ θ ≤ /4
0 ≤ Φ ≤ Π/4

Then the fact that |x| is a discontinous function doesn't actually matter in spherical coordinates at all?

elements said:
Ah ok I see so the actual bounds would be:

Π/4 ≤ θ ≤ /4
0 ≤ Φ ≤ Π/4

Then the fact that |x| is a discontinous function doesn't actually matter in spherical coordinates at all?
##|x|## is not discontinuous. It's first derivative is. But, no, that doesn't matter. Your limits are now correct, assuming you have ##0\le \rho\le 3##.

Last edited:

1. What is a spherical integral with absolute value in limits?

A spherical integral with absolute value in limits is a type of integral that involves calculating the area or volume of a spherical shape. The integral is defined by using the absolute value of the limits, which ensures that the result is always positive.

2. How is a spherical integral with absolute value in limits used in science?

Spherical integrals with absolute value in limits are commonly used in physics and mathematics to calculate the volume of a spherical object or the surface area of a sphere. They are also used in solving problems related to electric and magnetic fields, as well as in other areas of science that involve spherical shapes.

3. What is the formula for a spherical integral with absolute value in limits?

The formula for a spherical integral with absolute value in limits is ∫∫∫ |f(x,y,z)| dV, where f(x,y,z) is the function being integrated and dV represents the infinitesimal volume element.

4. What are the limits of integration for a spherical integral with absolute value in limits?

The limits of integration for a spherical integral with absolute value in limits are determined by the size and shape of the spherical object being measured. They typically range from 0 to the radius of the sphere in all three dimensions.

5. Are there any applications of spherical integrals with absolute value in limits outside of science?

Yes, spherical integrals with absolute value in limits have applications in various other fields, such as economics, engineering, and computer graphics. In economics, they can be used to calculate the volume of a market or the surface area of a country. In engineering, they are used to solve problems related to fluid dynamics and heat transfer. In computer graphics, they are used to create 3D models and animations of spherical objects.