Capacitance potential difference Problem

In summary: Now put the valuesQ = 4.0 μC = 4.0*10^-6 CE = 2.6 kV/mm = 2.6*10^3 V/mεo = 8.85*10^-12 F/mSo A = (4.0*10^-6 C)/(2.6*10^3 V/m * 8.85*10^-12 F/m) = 1.49*10^-3 m^2In summary, the problem involves finding the potential difference and charge on two capacitors (#1 with a capacitance of 2.05 µF and a charge of 901 V, and #2 with a capacit
mustang1988
1. A 2.05 µF capacitor (#1) is charged to 901 V and a 6.68 µF capacitor (#2) is charged to 671 V. These capacitors are then disconnected from their batteries. Next the positive plates are connected to each other and the negative plates are connected to each other. What will be the potential difference across each and the charge on each

2. C=8.85e10(A/d), Q=v/c,

The Attempt at a Solution

Im not really sure where to start, i think that in the end both voltages should be the same but not sure how to get it there. Any help would be great, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Find charge in each capacitor using the relevant formula. When the positive plates ate connected, the total charge in the combination is the sum of the charges and the combination is the parallel combination. Find the capacitor of the combination and find the voltage across the combination.

Ok i get the part about adding the charges but when you say find the capacitor of the combination and find the voltage across the combination I am confused.

mustang1988 said:
Ok i get the part about adding the charges but when you say find the capacitor of the combination and find the voltage across the combination I am confused.
In the parallel combination C = C1 + C2.
Common V = (Q1 + Q2)/(C1 + C2)

ok that made more sense thanks a lot

i have one more question.
The problem is: If a capacitor has opposite 4.0 µC charges on the plates, and an electric field of 2.6 kV/mm is desired between the plates, what must each plate's area be?

Im pretty sure the Equation is E=(Q/A)(4pik) but i can't figure out how to get 2.6kV/mm into m^2, which is what they want the answer in

mustang1988 said:
The problem is: If a capacitor has opposite 4.0 µC charges on the plates, and an electric field of 2.6 kV/mm is desired between the plates, what must each plate's area be?

Im pretty sure the Equation is E=(Q/A)(4pik) but i can't figure out how to get 2.6kV/mm into m^2, which is what they want the answer in

first convert the units, then solve
[kV/mm]→ [kV/(1/1000)m]→ [1000kV/m]
k→ 1000
μ→ 10-6

Once i solve for A will that be in m^2?

mustang1988 said:

From where did you get E=(Q/A)(4pik) formula?
Actual formula is
C = εοΑ/d
Now between the charged parallel plates E = V/d = Q/Cd
Or C = Q/Ed = εοΑ/d
Or A = Q/E*εo

Related to Capacitance potential difference Problem

1. What is capacitance potential difference?

Capacitance potential difference is the difference in potential energy stored in a capacitor due to the separation of charges on its plates.

2. How is capacitance potential difference calculated?

The capacitance potential difference can be calculated by dividing the charge on the plates of the capacitor by the potential difference between the plates.

3. What factors affect the capacitance potential difference?

The capacitance potential difference is affected by the distance between the plates of the capacitor, the area of the plates, and the material used for the plates.

4. What is the unit of capacitance potential difference?

The unit of capacitance potential difference is volts (V), which is equivalent to joules per coulomb (J/C).

5. How is capacitance potential difference used in practical applications?

Capacitance potential difference is used in various electronic devices, such as capacitors, to store and release electrical energy. It is also used in circuits to control the flow of current and regulate voltage levels.