Capacitor Energy With Different Dielectrics

In summary, the question involves determining the maximum energy that can be stored in a capacitor with a constant potential difference of 12.0 V, using different dielectric materials and varying the distance between the parallel plates. The calculation involves using the equation for capacitance, C = K*A0ε0/d, and the potential energy formula, PE = CV2/2. The mistake in the previous attempt was converting the plate area incorrectly, resulting in an incorrect answer. The correct answer for the maximum energy stored in the capacitor is 9.72 * 10-6 J.
recursive

Homework Statement

Two parallel plates are connected to a battery which maintains a constant potential difference of 12.0 V. The distance between the plates can be varied and there are three plates of different dielectric materials available: rubber (0.40 mm, κ = 6.7), glass (4 mm, κ = 7) and teflon (3 cm, κ = 2.1). The area of the plates is 91 cm2. What is the maximum energy that can be stored in the capacitor using one of the three materials?

Homework Equations

C = K*A0ε0/d

PE = CV2/2

The Attempt at a Solution

The highest energy stored will be in the system with the greatest capacitance; i.e., where the ratio of K/d is the largest. Rubber's K/d is greater than the other options, so rubber as the dielectric should produce the greatest capacitance.

C = (6.7)(.91)(8.854 * 10-12) / .0004

C = 1.35 * 10-7 F

With the capacitance, the energy can be calculated:

PE = CV2/2

PE = (1.35 * 10-7)(122)/2

PE = 9.72 * 10-6 J
This answer isn't correct, and I'm not sure why. My first concern was that I might not have converted all the units appropriately, but I've diligently checked, and I'm pretty sure they are all correct. (But the undying suspicion is that they are not is, well, undying.)

I am assuming I am missing something conceptually. Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

PS: I'm new to posting here, so if I break some sort of rule or violate some sort of expectation, please feel free to enlighten me. I've lurked around a great deal as I've progressed through my first few physics classes, and I have a great deal of respect for everyone here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your conversion for the plate area. How many square centimeters are there in a square meter?

gneill said:
Check your conversion for the plate area. How many square centimeters are there in a square meter?

Ah, I see... I was basically only converting one "side" of the square. Guess my intuition was more correct than I gave it credit for.

Thanks--fixing this gave me the correct result. Glad I wasn't misunderstanding the general concept.

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy by accumulating an electrical charge on two conductors separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric.

2. How does a capacitor store energy with different dielectrics?

A capacitor stores energy by creating an electric field between its two conductive plates. The electric field is created by the accumulation of opposite charges on each plate, separated by the dielectric material. The strength of the electric field and the amount of charge stored depend on the type of dielectric used.

3. What are some examples of dielectric materials used in capacitors?

Some common dielectric materials used in capacitors include air, ceramic, paper, plastic, and electrolytic solutions. Each material has different properties that affect the capacitance and energy storage of the capacitor.

4. How do different dielectrics affect the energy storage capacity of a capacitor?

The energy storage capacity, or capacitance, of a capacitor is directly proportional to the permittivity of the dielectric material. This means that a higher permittivity material will result in a higher capacitance and therefore, a higher energy storage capacity.

5. Are there any advantages to using different dielectrics in capacitors?

Yes, different dielectric materials offer different advantages depending on the application. For example, some materials may be more suitable for high voltage applications, while others may be better for compact and lightweight designs. Additionally, using different dielectrics can also improve the reliability and stability of the capacitor.