Capacitor filled with two conducting materials

In summary, the boundary conditions for the electric field strength E and electric flux density D at a planar interface separating two media with dielectric constants ε1 and ε2 are: the perpendicular component of D is continuous while the perpendicular component of E is discontinuous, and the parallel component of E is continuous while the parallel component of D is discontinuous. These equations may not be applicable in the case of a boundary with free charge present. In a parallel plate capacitor filled with two layers of different materials, the electric field intensity in each material can be determined using voltage and current conservation. The current density can also be calculated. For non-ideal media, it is important to consider the timescale of the problem in order to determine if an equilibrium
Alettix

Homework Statement

a) State the boundary conditions for the electric field strength E and electric flux density D at a planar interface separating two media with dielectric constants ε1 and ε2.

b) A parallel plate capacitor with a plate separation d is filled with two layers of different materials which have dielectric constants ε1 and ε2, conductivities σ1 and σ2 and layer thicknesses d1 and d2, respectively. The two materials completely fill the region between the plates so that d1 + d2 = d. A constant voltage V is applied between the plates. By considering the voltage drop across the capacitor and the current flow though the capacitor, find expressions for the magnitudes of the electric fields in both materials.

c) Derive an expression for the current density flowing through the capacitor.

d) Find expressions for the total surface charge density on the interface between the two materials and for the free surface charge density on the interface between the two materials.

Homework Equations

Ohm's law: ##\vec{J} = \sigma \vec{E} ##
Capactiance: ##C = \frac{\epsilon \epsilon_0 A}{d} ##
Electric field intensity: ##D = E \epsilon \epsilon_0 ##

The Attempt at a Solution

a) The boundary conditions are:
  • Perpendicular component of D continuous → perpendicular E discontinuous
  • Parallel component of E continuous → parallel component of D discontinuous

However, in the derivation of the first condition, it is assumed that there is no free charge on the boundary so my first question is: are these equations valid in this case?

b) Using ##V = E_1d_1 + E_2d_2 ## and conservation of current density: ##\sigma_1 E_1 = \sigma_2 E_2## we find:

## E_1 = \frac{\sigma_2 V}{\sigma_1d_2 + \sigma_2d_1} ##
## E_2 = \frac{\sigma_1 V}{\sigma_1d_2 + \sigma_2d_1} ##

I also tried using current conservation with ##I = \frac{V_n}{C_n\omega}##, giving expressions involving ##\epsilon_n## instead of ##\sigma_n##, but I am not sure if the capactance formula is valid in this case.

c) The current density is hence: ##J = \frac{\sigma_1\sigma_2 V}{\sigma_1d_2 + \sigma_2d_1} ##

d) From this point on I am a bit really I think we have:
##\nabla \cdot E = \frac{\rho_{total}}{\epsilon_0}## and ## \nabla \cdot E = \frac{\rho_{free}}{\epsilon_0\epsilon}## from Gauss's law.

The first relation is easy to apply to find the total charge, but what about the free charge, which ##\epsilon## ought to be used?

Many thanks!

UPDATE: It goes under the integral - doesn't it? Like ##E_1\epsilon_0\epsilon_1 - E_2\epsilon_0\epsilon_2 = \rho_{free} ##?
However, I am still interested in finding out if the E-D boundary conditions are applicable in conducting media.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Alettix said:
However, in the derivation of the first condition, it is assumed that there is no free charge on the boundary so my first question is: are these equations valid in this case?
How would a free charge get there?
##E_1 = \frac{\sigma_2 V}{\sigma_1d_2 + \sigma_2d_1}##
I agree (same for the other one).
The capacitance formulas assume no current flow.

Likes Alettix
mfb said:
How would a free charge get there?

I am not quite sure how it get's there in the first place, but I think that if there is free charge in the system it should be on the boundaries? Like consider the extreme case of a metal-air boundary? Or are the boundary conditions only valid for strictly non conducting media? What if we put free charge on a non-conducting dielectric, wouldn't it end up on the surface?

In equilibrium free charges can only exist at surfaces to ideal insulators.

mfb said:
In equilibrium free charges can only exist at surfaces to ideal insulators.
Really? Why? I thought free charges were found on conducting surfaces.

Surfaces - that is the point. On one side you have the conductor, on the other side you have the insulator.

mfb said:
Surfaces - that is the point. On one side you have the conductor, on the other side you have the insulator.
Alright, if I understand it correctly: free charge can only reside on boundaries between ideal insulators and conductors.

How then do we deal with non-ideal media, ie. materials which have a low conductivity for instance?
Are there any common surface imperfections which could lead to free charge getting stuck on dielectric-dielectric boundaries? Eg suppose we place free charge on an insulating material, where will it end up if there is no conductor connected to it?

It can also be anywhere within the volume of insulators, something I forgot before - but we don't have this case in your problem anyway. This happens when semiconductors get irradiated, for example.
Alettix said:
How then do we deal with non-ideal media, ie. materials which have a low conductivity for instance?
See if you get an equilibrium within the timescale you are interested in. If not, things get complicated.

Likes Alettix

1. What is a capacitor filled with two conducting materials?

A capacitor filled with two conducting materials is an electrical component that stores and releases electrical energy. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, with each plate filled with a different conducting material. This allows for the storage of electrical charge.

2. How does a capacitor filled with two conducting materials work?

A capacitor filled with two conducting materials works by creating an electric field between the two plates, which attracts and stores opposite charges on each plate. When a voltage is applied, the capacitor charges up, and when the voltage is removed, it discharges and releases its stored energy.

3. What are the benefits of using a capacitor filled with two conducting materials?

Using a capacitor filled with two conducting materials has several benefits, including high energy density, fast charging and discharging times, and the ability to store and release large amounts of energy in a short period. It also has a long lifespan and can be used in a wide range of electronic devices.

4. Can a capacitor filled with two conducting materials be used in all types of circuits?

Yes, a capacitor filled with two conducting materials can be used in a variety of circuits, including DC and AC circuits. It is commonly used in electronic devices such as computers, cameras, and mobile phones to store and regulate electrical energy.

5. How do you choose the right capacitor filled with two conducting materials for a specific application?

The right capacitor filled with two conducting materials for a specific application depends on several factors, including the required capacitance, voltage rating, and temperature range. It is essential to consider these factors and choose a capacitor that meets the specific requirements of the circuit or device it will be used in.