Capacitor, maxwell's equations

In summary, the conversation discusses a parallel-plate capacitor with circular plates being charged and a circular loop with a radius of 2.6 m and a displacement current of 2 A. The question asks for the rate of change of the electric field between the plates, which can be determined using the equation E' = 2/(Aε) N/C.s.
jehan60188

Homework Statement

A parallel-plate capacitor with circular plates of radius 1.7 m is being charged. Consider a circular loop centered on the central axis between the plates. The loop has a radius of 2.6 m and the displacement current through the loop is 2 A.

(a) At what rate is the electric field between the plates changing?

Homework Equations

maxwell's equations
1) electric flux through a closed surface = charge enclosed by the surface divided be e0
2) magnetic flux through an open surface = u0 times current through the surface
3) EMF in a closed path = derivative of magnetic flux through the path WRT time
4) currents cause magnetic fields

The Attempt at a Solution

there's an E-field in the capacitor
C = e0*A/d
q = C*V
E = q/(A*e0) SO dE/dt = dq/dt * 1/(A*e0)

I feel like I'm missing something.
Does a changing E-field induce a current in a closed path? is that current proportional to the electric flux through the path?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi jehan60188! :smile:
jehan60188 said:
… The loop has a radius of 2.6 m and the displacement current through the loop is 2 A.

Does a changing E-field induce a current in a closed path? is that current proportional to the electric flux through the path?

"displacement current" isn't a current, it's ∂D/∂t, a current density (per area) see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Displacement_current :wink:

(but it's measured in units of A/m2, not A … perhaps they mean that 2A is the total current through the loop, ie the displacement current times the area? :confused:)

bump, googled all week, but still no idea what to do

hi jehan60188! :smile:
jehan60188 said:
A parallel-plate capacitor with circular plates of radius 1.7 m is being charged. Consider a circular loop centered on the central axis between the plates. The loop has a radius of 2.6 m and the displacement current through the loop is 2 A.

(a) At what rate is the electric field between the plates changing?

i was hoping you might find some more information (btw, what are parts (b) (c) etc of the question?), but if that's all there is, my guess :redface: is that the question means that ∂D/∂t times the area of the loop is 2 A

(D is in coulombs per m2, so ∂D/∂t is amps per m2, so the units are correct)

in that case, (a) is asking for ∂E/∂t, so i suppose all you need is an equation relating D and E :confused:

solution
phi = E*A
so
d(phi)/dt = d(E*A)/dt = dE/dt*(A)
so
e*d(phi)/dt = e* dE/dt*(A)
where e = 8.85e-12
so, we know displacement current = 2 (since capacitors only have displacement current)
divide that by the area of the plates to get dE/dt

that's a rather confusing way of writing it :confused:

you're saying ∂E/∂t = (1/εo)∂D/∂t = 2/εo N/C.s ?

why do you want to divide by the area? (and why did you mention phi?)

phi is the electric flux through a surface
I_d = ε*d(phi)/dt is the definition of displacement current
I'm going to change over to using single-quote to represent time-derivatives (so dx/dt = x')

amperes law:

integral(B~ds) = u*(I + I_d)
where ~ is the dot product
or in words: a closed path integral in a magnetic field is equal to the permeability of free space times the sum of displacement current (I_d) and enclosed current

for uniform E-fields electric flux is E*A
since our A is constant, phi' = A*E'

so: ε*phi' = εAE'
between the plates of a capacitor, there is only displacement current
so: ε*phi' = εAE' = 2
so: E' = 2/(Aε)

jehan60188 said:
between the plates of a capacitor, there is only displacement current
so: ε*phi' = εAE' = 2
so: E' = 2/(Aε)

oh yes, i forgot :redface:, we decided that 2 amps was D' times area :rolleyes:

so you're right, E' = D'/ε = D'A/Aε = 2/(Aε) N/C.s :smile:

but you still don't need to mention phi, do you?​

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electrical component that is used to store electrical energy. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, it stores energy in the form of an electric field between the plates.

2. How does a capacitor work?

A capacitor works by storing electrical energy in the form of an electric field. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, one plate becomes positively charged and the other plate becomes negatively charged. This creates an electric field between the plates, which stores the energy. The insulating material, or dielectric, between the plates helps to maintain the charge and prevents the plates from touching.

3. What are the applications of capacitors?

Capacitors have a wide range of applications in various electronic circuits. They are commonly used in power supplies to filter out unwanted noise and stabilize voltage. They are also used in timing circuits, motor starting circuits, and audio equipment. Capacitors are also essential components in electronic devices such as computers, televisions, and smartphones.

4. What is Maxwell's equation related to capacitors?

Maxwell's equations are a set of four equations that describe the fundamental relationship between electric and magnetic fields. One of these equations, known as Gauss's law, is related to capacitors. It states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the charge enclosed by that surface. This means that the electric field between the plates of a capacitor is directly proportional to the amount of charge stored on the plates.

5. How do capacitors store energy?

Capacitors store energy in the form of an electric field. When a voltage is applied, one plate of the capacitor becomes positively charged and the other plate becomes negatively charged. This creates an electric field between the plates, which stores the energy. The amount of energy stored in a capacitor is directly proportional to the capacitance, or the ability of the capacitor to store charge, and the square of the voltage applied.