Capacitor problem from Irodov (3.122)

In summary, current flows through the battery to make the charge on the right side of the capacitor zero.
Titan97
Gold Member

Homework Statement

What charges will flow after shorting of the switch (Sw) in the circuit below through sections 1 and 2 in the direction indicated by the arrows?

IMG_20151204_090803_816.JPG

Homework Equations

Kirchoff's laws

The Attempt at a Solution

Initially, both capacitors will have a charge of $$Q_I=\frac{C_1C_2}{C_1+C_2}E$$
Finally, after shorting the switch, potential difference across ##C_1## becomes zero. So final charge on ##C_1## is zero and final charge on ##C_2## is ##C_2E##.
So the charge that flows through section 1 is $$C_2E-\frac{C_1C_2}{C_1+C_2}E$$ But answer given is ##C_2E##.

Edit

Please check if I am correct.
Some charge has to flow through section 1 to make the charge on right plate of C1 zero. That charge is $$-\frac{C_1C_2}{C_1+C_2}E$$ since initially, the right plate had a positive charge of magnitude ##Q_I##.
Now, to make charge on left plate of C1 zero, a charge of
$$\frac{C_1C_2}{C_1+C_2}E$$ will flow from upper plate of C2. (Assuming the charge can't flow through the battery). So this makes C2 lose all its initial charge and after shorting the switch, ##C_2E## flows in section 1. Hence I got the given answer.
But is my assumption correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You've come to the right result. You can play bit with sources of charges when you are balancing the circuit for some end result, and you can imagine negative charges moving, too if you want. So long as you always conserve charge the math will always work out and give you the correct result. Here's how I would implement the strategy that you've given.

When I do these I usually label each capacitor plate with its initial charge, and only "move" positive charges just like conventional current (you can create a negative charge on a plate by taking a positive charge away from the plate). So if we let Q be the initial charge that you calculated for the two capacitors, each capacitor will have +Q on one plate and -Q on its other plate. So the setup looks like this:

Fig1.png

Now when the switch closes you know that C1 should end up with no charge and C2 with ##C_2 E## as a charge. Well clearly we can "steal" the Q required to cancel the -Q on C1 from the top plate of C2. But that means pulling Q onto the bottom plate of C2 at the same time, leaving C2 uncharged, too (don't worry, we're not done!). This has the benefit of satisfying C1's requirements and current has only had to flow in the right hand loop, i.e. through point "2" (see the right hand loop and red indications in the figure below).

Next, move ##C_2 E## onto C2 using the left hand voltage source and loop. That will be the only current that had to flow through "1".

Fig2.PNG

All that's left is to note the charges that flowed past points 1 & 2, being sure to note their directions of travel.

Likes gracy and Titan97
Titan97 said:

Homework Statement

What charges will flow after shorting of the switch (Sw) in the circuit below through sections 1 and 2 in the direction indicated by the arrows?

View attachment 92850

Homework Equations

Kirchoff's laws

The Attempt at a Solution

Initially, both capacitors will have a charge of $$Q_I=\frac{C_1C_2}{C_1+C_2}E$$
Finally, after shorting the switch, potential difference across ##C_1## becomes zero. So final charge on ##C_1## is zero and final charge on ##C_2## is ##C_2E##.
So the charge that flows through section 1 is $$C_2E-\frac{C_1C_2}{C_1+C_2}E$$ But answer given is ##C_2E##.
No, this is the total change of charge on C2. And charge flows through two ways on it.
Titan97 said:
Edit

Please check if I am correct.
Some charge has to flow through section 1 to make the charge on right plate of C1 zero. That charge is $$-\frac{C_1C_2}{C_1+C_2}E$$ since initially, the right plate had a positive charge of magnitude ##Q_I##.
Now, to make charge on left plate of C1 zero, a charge of
$$\frac{C_1C_2}{C_1+C_2}E$$ will flow from upper plate of C2. (Assuming the charge can't flow through the battery). So this makes C2 lose all its initial charge and after shorting the switch, ##C_2E## flows in section 1. Hence I got the given answer.
But is my assumption correct?
The battery behaves as a short for the current. current does flow through a battery.
After shorting the switch, the whole charge of C1 flows off according to the red arrow,. C2 gains charge by the blue arrow and losses charge by the red arrow.

upload_2015-12-4_6-48-51.png

Edit: gneill was much faster!

Likes Titan97

What is the Capacitor problem from Irodov (3.122)?

The Capacitor problem from Irodov (3.122) is a physics problem from the book "Problems in General Physics" by I.E. Irodov. It involves calculating the capacitance of a system of parallel-plate capacitors with dielectric material in between.

What is the formula for calculating capacitance in this problem?

The formula for calculating capacitance in this problem is C = εA/d, where C is the capacitance, ε is the permittivity of the dielectric material, A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.

What are the key concepts involved in solving this problem?

The key concepts involved in solving this problem are capacitance, dielectric material, and parallel-plate capacitors. Understanding the relationship between these concepts is crucial in finding the solution.

What are the steps for solving this problem?

The steps for solving this problem are as follows:
1. Identify the given values for capacitance, plate area, and distance between plates.
2. Determine the permittivity of the dielectric material.
3. Use the formula C = εA/d to calculate the capacitance for each individual capacitor.
4. Add the individual capacitance values to find the total capacitance for the system.
5. Check your answer for reasonableness and accuracy.

What are some tips for solving this problem effectively?

Some tips for solving this problem effectively include:
- Familiarize yourself with the formula for capacitance and its variables.
- Pay attention to the units of measurement and ensure they are consistent.
- Draw a diagram of the system to help visualize the problem.
- Take note of any simplifying assumptions that can be made.
- Double-check your calculations and use significant figures in your final answer.