Capillary Rise in Tube: What Happens if Length is Insufficient?

In summary, when capillary rise occurs in a tube of insufficient length, the height and radius of the sphere (hR) are inversely proportional. As the height decreases, the radius must increase in order for the meniscus to maintain its shape. This can lead to a larger radius and the potential for water to flow out of the tube. It is important to understand the concept of meniscus attraction to fully grasp this phenomenon.
Joel Jacon
What happen when the capillary rise occur in a tube of insufficient length?

My teacher told me that hR = constant where h is height and R is radius of sphere of which the curved surface of meniscus firm a part.
She also told me that if h become less so R has to increase so radius of meniscus has to be large.

I didn't really get what she's meant.

If we take a capillary tube of height h and put it in water then, the tube become filled with water till height h. Now if we break a tube to make it of height less than h then will water flow out?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is homework.
Joel Jacon said:
radius of meniscus has to be large.
How large can the radius become? What does that imply?
Joel Jacon said:
will water flow out?
Work out the first question and the answer to this becomes obvious.

I told that I didn't understand what the teacher told. Any link on web that explain it would be helpful.
This is not a homework question.

I'll ask once more:
Bystander said:
How large can the radius become? What does that imply?

I told that's what my teacher said. If I had known the meaning I wouldn't have asked the question.

I can tell that someone has not explained this to you very well, or you were not listening!

All you need to know is that the curves of a meniscus are in effect pulling up the water, they are attracted to the glass. In a small tube the pulling area is a large proportion of the surface area and will be able to pull the water high and vice versa.

1. What is capillary rise and how does it occur?

Capillary rise is the phenomenon where liquids move up a narrow tube or channel against the force of gravity. This happens due to the intermolecular forces between the liquid molecules and the surface of the tube, known as capillary action.

2. How does the length of the tube affect capillary rise?

The length of the tube plays a crucial role in capillary rise. As the length of the tube increases, the force of capillary action also increases, resulting in a higher rise of the liquid. On the other hand, a shorter tube will have a lower capillary rise.

3. What happens if the length of the tube is insufficient?

If the length of the tube is insufficient, the capillary rise will be limited. This is because the force of capillary action is not strong enough to overcome the gravitational force, resulting in a lower rise of the liquid.

4. How is the capillary rise affected by the diameter of the tube?

The diameter of the tube also affects the capillary rise. A wider tube will have a lower rise compared to a narrower tube, as the force of capillary action is spread out over a larger area in a wider tube.

5. Can the properties of the liquid affect capillary rise?

Yes, the properties of the liquid, such as surface tension and viscosity, can also affect capillary rise. Liquids with higher surface tension and lower viscosity will have a higher capillary rise compared to liquids with lower surface tension and higher viscosity.