How to Calculate Capillary Rise on the ISS

In summary, the experiment on the International Space Station involves a cylindrical capillary of length 10 cm and inner diameter of 500 µm, positioned to contact a droplet of water with a diameter of 1.0 cm. The temperature in the ISS laboratory is 20°C and the water is completely hydrophilic. The question asks for the height the water will enter the capillary, and the most important equation for this is h=2Tcos(theta)/(prg). However, since the experiment is conducted in microgravity, the apparent g = 0 and the capillary force is not balanced by the weight of the liquid. Instead, the capillary is sealed at one end, preventing the liquid from rising all the way
yung_flower

Homework Statement

Consider an experiment on the International Space Station, which is illustrated below. A cylindrical capillary of length L= 10. [cm] and inner diameter of dc=500. [µm] (sealed at one end), is positioned to contact a droplet of water, D = 1.0 [cm], which is floating in the ISS laboratory. Water is completely hydrophilic with the material of that capillary (contact angle is θ ≈ 0o). The temperature in the ISS laboratories is 20 [oC].

Question: How far the water will enter the capillary; i.e. determine ‘h’ as shown in the illustration
below

Homework Equations

I assume this is the most important equation for looking at it (but nothing is really given):
h=2Tcos(theta)/(prg)

All of these are also given:c=500 [µm]; R =250 [µm]; L= 0.1 [m]; µwater=0.001 [Pa s]; ρwater =1000 [kg/m3] ;
σwater-air =0.072 [N/m]; h = ? [m]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since we do not know gravity I tried to solve initially for Pint of the capillary

Pint=2T/R

Pint=576pa = 0.576kpa --> 0.00568 atm

(My assumption that pressure in ISS is that of Earth at sea level)
Po= 1 atm + 0.00568 atm = 1.00568 atm

Vcap= (L-dc/2)(pi)(dc/2)^2 + (2/3)pi(dc/2)^3
Vcap= 1.96 x 10^-5 L

nair=(1atm)(1.96 x 10^-5 L)/((0.08206 Latm/molK)(293K))
nair= 8.160 x 10^-7 mol

If that's the air in the capillary before capillary action, then the air will be compressed to the new pressure:
Po=1.00568 atm

Vair2= (8.160 x 10^-7 mol)(0.08206 Latm/mol K)(293 K)/1.00568 atm
Vair2= 1.951 x 10^-5 L = 1.951 x 10^-8 m^3

Vair2= (L-dc/2-h)pi(dc/2)^2 + (2/3)pi(dc/2)^3

height comes out to be:

h= 5.53 x 10^-4 m

That height seems way to small to be right

---------------------------------------------------

Then I thought maybe I could assume (using the internet) that gISS=gearth(0.9)

and use the equation:

h=2Tcos(theta)/(prg)

to get:

h=6.5 cm

^This answer makes a lot more sense to me but it doesn't feel like the right way to do the problem, seeing as we are not given the statement that the gravity on the ISS is 90% of that on earth. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2016-10-09 at 1.50.57 PM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi yung_flower and welcome to PF. :welcome:

I think you may safely assume that the apparent g = 0 because the ISS that is in free fall. The equation that you quoted is derived by setting the capillary force equal to the weight of the column of liquid. Here you have no weight. What keeps the liquid from rising all the way up? Hint: The capillary is sealed at one end.

1) How does the absence of gravity affect capillary rise on the ISS?

The absence of gravity on the ISS does not significantly affect capillary rise. Capillary rise is driven by surface tension and does not rely on gravity to function. However, the lack of gravity can lead to different fluid behaviors, such as the formation of larger and longer capillary tubes.

2) What factors influence capillary rise on the ISS?

The main factors that influence capillary rise on the ISS are surface tension, viscosity of the liquid, and the size and material of the capillary tube. Other factors such as temperature and pressure can also play a role.

3) How is capillary rise calculated on the ISS?

The capillary rise on the ISS can be calculated using the same formula as on Earth, which is h = 2T/(ρgr), where h is the height of the rise, T is the surface tension of the liquid, ρ is the density of the liquid, g is the gravitational constant, and r is the radius of the capillary tube.

4) Does the shape of the capillary tube affect capillary rise on the ISS?

Yes, the shape of the capillary tube can affect capillary rise on the ISS. A cylindrical tube is the most commonly used shape for capillary rise calculations, but other shapes such as conical or rectangular tubes can also be used. The shape can affect the surface area and thus the surface tension of the liquid, which can impact the capillary rise.

5) Can capillary rise be measured on the ISS?

Yes, capillary rise can be measured on the ISS using various methods such as high-speed photography or using specialized equipment designed for microgravity environments. These measurements can help scientists understand the behavior of fluids in space and can also have practical applications for technologies used on the ISS and for future space exploration.