Capture and re-use the heat generated from Air Compression

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of filling pipes with a volume of 556 cuft to 15,000 psi and utilizing the heat generated from the compression process. The person asking the question has experience with high-pressure systems in the petroleum industry but has no experience with air compression. The conversation also touches on the dangers of compressed air compared to water or hydraulic oil. The person asking for advice is asked about their specific application and is reminded of the ASME B31 code for pressure piping.
Walker C
I am trying to fill pipes with a volume of 556 cuft to 15,000 psi. I want to capture and re-use the heat generated from the compression process and re-use it.

Is this amount of compression and heat exchanging possible with current technology

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
Walker C said:
I am trying to fill pipes with a volume of 556 cuft to 15,000 psi. I want to capture and re-use the heat generated from the compression process and re-use it.

Is this amount of compression and heat exchanging possible with current technology
Sorry, at that pressure, you are well into the red. What is your experience with high-pressure systems?

https://www.surpluscenter.com/produ...-15000+PSI+2.50++Dia+Powerteam+LF+Gauge_L.jpg

0-15000+PSI+2.50++Dia+Powerteam+LF+Gauge_L.jpg

Attachments

• 0-15000+PSI+2.50++Dia+Powerteam+LF+Gauge_L.jpg
    0-15000+PSI+2.50++Dia+Powerteam+LF+Gauge_L.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 626
More on the pressure pumping side using fluid. I am a petroleum engineer and have completed oil wells up to 12,000 psi using hydraulic pumps. Steel piping is rated up to 18,000 psi if needed to I am trying trap as much pressure as possible.

I don't have any experience in air compression though.

Are you aware that compressed air is more dangerous than compressed water or compressed hydraulic oil? It is the compressibility itself that is the cause.

Spring a leak in a water pipe, and the gauge pressure goes to zero almost immediately. Do the same in a compressed air container and it retains the pressure. Worse, the jet through the leak enlarges the hole or the crack until it might become a rupture, leading to an explosion.

What is your application? I was looking at the ASME B31 code for pressure piping, and it is divided into many sections depending on application.

Last edited:

1. How does capturing and re-using heat generated from air compression work?

When air is compressed, it generates heat due to the increase in pressure. This heat can be captured and used for various purposes such as heating buildings, powering industrial processes, or generating electricity. The process involves using a heat exchanger to transfer the heat from the compressed air to a fluid, which can then be used to heat or power other systems.

2. What are the benefits of capturing and re-using heat from air compression?

There are several benefits to capturing and re-using heat from air compression. Firstly, it can significantly reduce energy consumption and costs by utilizing the otherwise wasted heat. It also reduces the carbon footprint of the air compression process, making it more environmentally friendly. Additionally, it can help to increase the overall efficiency of the system and reduce maintenance costs.

3. What types of systems can benefit from capturing and re-using heat from air compression?

Any system that uses air compression, such as industrial processes, refrigeration systems, or HVAC systems, can benefit from capturing and re-using the heat generated. It can also be used for heating or powering buildings, especially in colder climates where the demand for heat is high.

4. Are there any challenges or limitations to capturing and re-using heat from air compression?

One of the main challenges is the design and implementation of the heat recovery system, as it needs to be tailored to the specific needs of the system. Additionally, the temperature and pressure of the compressed air can affect the efficiency of the heat recovery process. There may also be limitations in terms of the available space or resources for implementing a heat recovery system.

5. Is capturing and re-using heat from air compression a cost-effective solution?

Yes, capturing and re-using heat from air compression can be a cost-effective solution in the long run. While there may be initial costs involved in implementing a heat recovery system, the energy savings and reduced maintenance costs can result in significant cost savings over time. It can also help to reduce the reliance on traditional energy sources, making it a more sustainable option for businesses and industries.