Specific heat capacity and changing volume

In summary, the process of compressing helium results in a change in volume and pressure. The internal energy of the helium is dependent on the specific heat capacity of helium, but volume changes in the process. To calculate the change in internal energy, the student should use the ideal gas law and the polytropic relationships.
DannyMoretz
Hello everyone,
I just need some help understanding some thermodynamics. So I have 0.25 kg of helium which is compressed from an initial state in a polytropic process with n = 1.3. So its given the change in volume and the initial pressure. I need to find the change in internal energy. I am aware of the relationship ΔU = m . Cv . ΔT ... and I know that Cv = 3R/2, but can I use that particular internal energy equation, considering Cv is the specific heat capacity of helium at a constant volume, even though volume changes in this process ? Am I just misinterpreting the meaning of this ?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You should use that in a polytropic process the energy transfer ratio K=dQ/dW is constant and it is [itex]n=(1-\gamma)K+\gamma[/itex]

Delta² said:
You should use that in a polytropic process the energy transfer ratio K=dQ/dW is constant and it is [itex]n=(1-\gamma)K+\gamma[/itex]
Thanks for the response, but I still don't understand how this answers my question.

You can calculate the work done W and it will be Q=KxW. Now you know Q and W, its easy to find ΔU isn't it?

Delta² said:
You can calculate the work done W and it will be Q=KxW. Now you know Q and W, its easy to find ΔU isn't it?
Yeah I know that part, but can I use that equation for change in internal energy ? It uses Cv, the specific heat capacity for a constant volume, but volume changes in this process ?

No you can't use that equation because it is for isochoric processes and your process isn't isochoric (need n=infinite for a polytropic process to be isochoric)

Delta² said:
No you can't use that equation because it is for isochoric processes and your process isn't isochoric (need n=infinite for a polytropic process to be isochoric)
Ok, thanks alot, I will explore the method you suggested.

Delta² said:
This is not correct. The molar heat capacity at constant volume is a physical property of a gas, defined by:
$$C_v=\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T}\right)_V$$
where U is the internal energy per mole. In general, U = U(T,V), where V is the molar volume, so
$$dU=\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T}\right)_VdT+\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V}\right)_TdV$$
But, the internal energy of an ideal gas is independent of its specific volume. So, in general, for an ideal gas
$$dU=C_vdT$$
irrespective of whether the volume of the gas is constant.

Chet

Likes Juanda and DannyMoretz
Ok i see you are right (well also we know that the change in internal energy for reversible processes depends only on the initial and final state not on the process itself). Still if he follows my approach he should get the same result .

The easiest way to get the temperature change is use the ideal gas law: ##nRΔT=Δ(PV)##. Once you know this, you can get the change in internal energy. Also, from the polytropic relationships, you get the work W. So, from all this you can then get the amount of heat Q.

Chet

Delta² said:
(well also we know that the change in internal energy for reversible processes depends only on the initial and final state not on the process itself).
We know that this is true even for irreversible processes.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
This is not correct. The molar heat capacity at constant volume is a physical property of a gas, defined by:
$$C_v=\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T}\right)_V$$
where U is the internal energy per mole. In general, U = U(T,V), where V is the molar volume, so
$$dU=\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T}\right)_VdT+\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V}\right)_TdV$$
But, the internal energy of an ideal gas is independent of its specific volume. So, in general, for an ideal gas
$$dU=C_vdT$$
irrespective of whether the volume of the gas is constant.

Chet
Chestermiller said:
The easiest way to get the temperature change is use the ideal gas law: ##nRΔT=Δ(PV)##. Once you know this, you can get the change in internal energy. Also, from the polytropic relationships, you get the work W. So, from all this you can then get the amount of heat Q.

Chet
Thanks a lot Chestermiller, this has fixed my understanding. I was about to tell my lecturer that he was doing something wrong :S.

1. What is specific heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one unit of mass of a substance by one degree Celsius.

2. How is specific heat capacity measured?

Specific heat capacity is typically measured using a calorimeter, which is a device that measures the heat exchanged between a substance and its surroundings.

3. How does changing volume affect specific heat capacity?

Changing the volume of a substance can affect its specific heat capacity because it can change the density and composition of the substance, which can affect its ability to absorb and retain heat.

4. Can specific heat capacity be different for different substances?

Yes, specific heat capacity can vary depending on the substance. This is because different substances have different molecular structures and properties, which can affect their ability to store and release heat.

5. Why is specific heat capacity important in scientific research?

Specific heat capacity is important in scientific research because it helps us understand how different substances respond to changes in temperature, which can have significant impacts on various processes and reactions in the natural world.