Capturing an asteroid in Earth orbit

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of capturing a 150 meter asteroid into Earth orbit using delta v adjustments and the tug of a probe. The speaker also mentions the challenge of avoiding the asteroid from being torn apart due to its "rubble pile" nature and proposes the use of continuous thrust or ion engines. They also mention the need for identifying a suitable target and suggest using a prospector craft to explore the asteroid.
bhn1700
Yes I know someone else has posted something similar but I was wondering if capturing an 150 meter asteroid is possible in Earth orbit? Also can it be done by adjusting the delta v way out from Earth using the tug of a probe that you send to do such a job? (And maybe a final slow down with the moon when you get close.) And lastly can a 150 meter asteroid be captured into Earth orbit without it being torn apart given the 'rubble pile' nature that it will very likely have?
Thank you

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Big question. I'm guessing you're looking for a Space Elevator counterweight?

First off, you're almost certainly looking at a NEO (Near Earth Object), not a main-belt asteroid. Apollo, Aten and Amor asteroids are all good candidates.

Secondly, you would *apply* delta v in order to *adjust* the orbital velocity. Orbital transfers are typically done by applying propulsive force to initiate the transfer orbit, and then you coast until you reach the altitude of the orbit you're transferring to, at which point you apply delta V again in order to complete the velocity adjustment.

For an NEO, the delta V is quite modest. Of course, a 150 m object is very massive, so the *total* impulse is pretty darn huge. This is why a main belt rock seems to be out of the question, but an NEO would be possible. A major difficulty is that for a particular object, you might have to wait many years for the orbital timing to be right.

A typical burn-coast-burn transfer would need to find a way to apply that force without tearing the rubble pile apart. In my mind this would likely be the most challenging part of the enterprise. (Not counting the politics of getting approval to do such a thing.)

So maybe you would use the gentler continuous thrust method, most likely meaning that you would use ion engines (of a future design with more thrust than current engines). This would make it a lot easier to apply the force non-destructively.

I'm thinking the gravity gradient in a high Earth orbit is so small that tearing the rubble pile apart would not be an issue, but I've never played with the numbers on that, so I dunno.

All indications are that the stuff up there is a very diverse population in terms of these parameters. The first trick is to identify your target, note that not all of them are going to be rubble piles and you might find one that is a solid chunk of metal.

Hey I know - we should go take a look with a prospector craft.

HTH

Related to Capturing an asteroid in Earth orbit

1. How would capturing an asteroid benefit Earth?

Capturing an asteroid in Earth orbit could provide resources such as precious metals and water, which could be used for future space exploration or to supplement resources on Earth. It could also serve as a stepping stone for further space exploration and research.

2. How would we capture an asteroid?

One proposed method is to use a spacecraft equipped with a large, inflatable bag or net to surround the asteroid and then use thrusters to redirect its trajectory towards Earth. Another method is to use a spacecraft to attach itself to the asteroid and use its own propulsion systems to move it into orbit.

3. What are the potential risks of capturing an asteroid in Earth orbit?

There are several potential risks associated with capturing an asteroid, including the possibility of the asteroid breaking apart during capture or transport, collision with other objects in space, and the potential for the asteroid to contain hazardous materials that could pose a threat to Earth if not handled properly.

4. How would we ensure the safety of Earth during the capture process?

Prior to capturing an asteroid, extensive research and planning would be conducted to identify potential risks and develop strategies to mitigate them. This could include using remote-controlled spacecraft, implementing collision avoidance measures, and performing thorough risk assessments.

5. Are there any legal or ethical considerations for capturing an asteroid?

Yes, there are several legal and ethical considerations to take into account when capturing an asteroid. This includes obtaining permission from the country or organization that discovered the asteroid, adhering to international space treaties, and ensuring that the capture process does not harm any other objects or life forms in space.