Capturing Stars with Mobile Devices: Fact or Fiction?

• Thread starter liometopum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ipad Star
In summary, a Facebook video claiming to show the star Rigel taken with an iPad through a telescope has been circulating. However, it was later clarified that the video was actually taken with an iPhone. The video is out-of-focus and it is suggested that it was taken through a refractor-type telescope. There is also confusion about the equipment used to capture the video, with some speculating it may have been a DSLR attached to the back of a telescope.
liometopum
This Facebook video is said to be of the star Rigel, taken with an Ipad. Comments?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
My daughter mentioned it to me, and took me out and pointed to the star that was the supposed target. It was Rigel. I have a first generation Ipad, which has no camera, so I could not attempt to duplicate the video. Maybe someone here can try it.

Actually, it was not an Ipad, but an IPhone. Whatever... I hope some others try it.

Last edited:
Taken with an iPad through a telescope...

To state the obvious, it is highly out-of-focus. That's why it's a disc, rather than a point. (And I'm going to guess that it's through a refractor-type scope (no vanes))

[edit] Wait a minute:
here's the video of it when it was bigger/closer in (used my iphone video camera filming Jakob's camera screen capturing the object).
iphone taking a picture of a "camera screen"? What kind of camera screen? Like the photo in my avatar? DSLR attached to the back of a telescope? Oy!

1. How is it possible to capture a star image through an iPad?

The iPad's camera is equipped with advanced technology that allows it to capture images of distant objects, including stars. Additionally, there are various apps and accessories available that can enhance the iPad's ability to capture astronomical images.

2. Can an iPad capture clear and detailed images of stars?

Yes, with the right conditions and equipment, an iPad can capture clear and detailed images of stars. However, the quality of the image may vary depending on factors such as the brightness and distance of the star, as well as the stability of the camera.

3. Do I need a telescope to capture a star image through an iPad?

No, a telescope is not necessary to capture a star image through an iPad. The iPad's camera is powerful enough to capture images of stars without the use of a telescope. However, using a telescope may improve the quality and detail of the image.

4. How can I edit and enhance a star image captured through an iPad?

There are various photo editing apps available on the iPad that can help enhance and edit star images. Additionally, there are also computer software programs that can be used to process and improve the quality of the image.

5. Can an iPad capture images of stars in real time?

Yes, with the right equipment and apps, an iPad can capture images of stars in real time. This allows for live viewing and capturing of celestial events such as meteor showers or eclipses.