Car coasts to a stop: find acceleration, distance, average speed

In summary, the problem involves a car initially traveling at 25m/s and then coasting to a stop in 12 seconds. To solve for acceleration, the formula v=x/t can be used, giving a result of 2.08 m/s. To find the distance traveled while slowing down, the formula d=vt+ 1/2at(2) can be used. Lastly, to find the average speed of the car while coasting, the answer from the first part can be divided by 12. It is important to use relevant equations and make efforts to solve the problem before seeking help.
xxcrn
Homework posted in wrong forum, so no template
Its my first time ever being in Physics and I need help with this probably really simple problem.

It first says, a car is initially traveling at 25m/s and then coasts to a stop in 12 seconds. What is its acceleration? **I took 25/12 and got 2.08 m/s. Hopefully that part is right?

Then it asks how far did it travel while slowing down? **This I didn't even know how to start.

The third part to this question is what was the average speed of the car when it was coasting. And I think for this you take the answer from the question above and divide it by 12.

Any help would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
xxcrn said:
Its my first time ever being in Physics and I need help with this probably really simple problem.

It first says, a car is initially traveling at 25m/s and then coasts to a stop in 12 seconds. What is its acceleration? **I took 25/12 and got 2.08 m/s. Hopefully that part is right?

Then it asks how far did it travel while slowing down? **This I didn't even know how to start.

The third part to this question is what was the average speed of the car when it was coasting. And I think for this you take the answer from the question above and divide it by 12.

Any help would be great!
Firstly, you should use the homework section on PF here in which automatically a template will be inserted that guides you through the questions that always will have to follow. It's called relevant equations and is necessary to understand where to start with explanations. So:
What formulas do you have at hand, which deal with distance, velocity, acceleration and time?
Secondly, where did you get stuck? Have you made any efforts, beside dividing ##25## by ##12##?

Which leads me to my next question: What is the result of ##25 \frac{m}{s}## divided by ##12s##?
How is an average velocity / speed defined?

fresh_42 said:
Firstly, you should use the homework section on PF here in which automatically a template will be inserted that guides you through the questions that always will have to follow. It's called relevant equations and is necessary to understand where to start with explanations. So:
What formulas do you have at hand, which deal with distance, velocity, acceleration and time?
Secondly, where did you get stuck? Have you made any efforts, beside dividing ##25## by ##12##?

Which leads me to my next question: What is the result of ##25 \frac{m}{s}## divided by ##12s##?
Sorry its my first time one here. I have v=x/t, d=vt+ 1/2at(2)
fresh_42 said:

I think I figured it out now, thanks anyway!

What is the equation for finding acceleration?

The equation for finding acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

How do you find the distance a car coasts to a stop?

To find the distance a car coasts to a stop, you can use the equation d = vi * t + 1/2 * a * t^2, where d is distance, vi is initial velocity, t is time, and a is acceleration.

What is the average speed of a car coasting to a stop?

The average speed of a car coasting to a stop can be calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken. This can be represented by the equation v = d / t, where v is average speed, d is distance, and t is time.

How does the mass of the car affect its acceleration when coasting to a stop?

The mass of the car does not affect its acceleration when coasting to a stop. This is because the force of friction that slows down the car is independent of its mass. However, a car with a greater mass will require more force to stop, so it will take longer to come to a complete stop.

Can the acceleration of a car coasting to a stop be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of a car coasting to a stop can be negative. This would indicate that the car is slowing down, as the final velocity is less than the initial velocity. It is important to note that the magnitude of the acceleration is what determines the rate at which the car is slowing down, not the sign of the acceleration.