Car reading 17V+ in the battery when running, how to fix?

In summary, the voltage regulator may be malfunctioning and driving the field, potentially causing the car to overheat and potentially break something.
Mescapium
Hi, I have a 2004 Toyota Matrix with 270 000km. It's working great but today when i started my car the battery was going up to 17.2V (i have a battery voltage reader in the car at all time). It's the first time it went up there, it usually stays in the 13-14V. I know something is wrong and I want to fix it before it breaks something. I made some reasearch already and i read it could be the voltage regulator circuited between the alternator and battery. I don't know much about car's electrical system and my electric classes are a little bit far (still i am supposed to have some basic knowledge). So i'd like to know precisely what's the problem and how to fix it. Or some help or guidance, thanks a lot for any help provided !

Engineering news on Phys.org
Mescapium said:
Hi, I have a 2004 Toyota Matrix with 270 000km. It's working great but today when i started my car the battery was going up to 17.2V (i have a battery voltage reader in the car at all time). It's the first time it went up there, it usually stays in the 13-14V. I know something is wrong and I want to fix it before it breaks something. I made some reasearch already and i read it could be the voltage regulator circuited between the alternator and battery. I don't know much about car's electrical system and my electric classes are a little bit far (still i am supposed to have some basic knowledge). So i'd like to know precisely what's the problem and how to fix it. Or some help or guidance, thanks a lot for any help provided !
Note the alternator’s make and model. Most modern units have a built-in regulator that should cut off above 14.4V or so.

17.2V, if correct, will be boiling your battery and causing untold electrical havoc - best not to use the car until you have it sorted.

might this fit in DIY thread ?

In my experience voltage regulator is a prime suspect. As Guineafowl wrote if it is a lead battery high voltage can mean heating it till it the acid starts to boil, it stinks like hell and corrodes the metal around.

At least that's what I had to deal with about 15 years ago, in the end I had to replace both the regulator and the battery.

Likes jim hardy
EDIT When it's working, an..
Alternator should not produce more than about 14.5 volts.
It has an internal voltage regulator to control its output voltage.
It should look like this
upload_2018-8-25_17-42-34.png

and be mounted on the alternator. probably on end opposite the pulley.

Try unplugging the wire that plugs into that receptacle then start the car.
Voltage should read around 12 .

One can replace just the regulator but it'll probably cost you nearly the same as a whole alternator.

good luck

old jim

(Sorry)

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-25_17-42-34.png
    upload_2018-8-25_17-42-34.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 815
Last edited:
Likes Mescapium and davenn
Borek said:
At least that's what I had to deal with about 15 years ago, in the end I had to replace both the regulator and the battery.
Me too, about 1974. The exact same problem. In a 1947 Beech Bonanza over Wyoming. Flew from there to Southern California with the electrics shut off. Fortunately, airplane engines have magneto ignition, so can run forever without a generator.

Likes Borek
jrmichler said:
The exact same problem. In a 1947 Beech Bonanza over Wyoming.

Ahhh Nostalgia. My good friend and mentor had one of those... Amazing machine.

did yours have the Jordan-Flanagan truss mod ?

jim hardy said:
Alternator should not produce more than about 14.5 volts.

Even with a malfunctioning regulator that drives the field?

anorlunda said:
Even with a malfunctioning regulator that drives the field?

hmm. should have prefixed with "A properly functioning..."

will fix it

<chagrin icon>

jim hardy said:
did yours have the Jordan-Flanagan truss mod ?

Probably not. It was a rental on leaseback, and the FBO did not believe in spending too much on maintenance. The overcharging was a known problem, and I was told to just add water to the battery.

jrmichler said:
the FBO did not believe in spending too much on maintenance. The overcharging was a known problem,

Wow !
"Continued VFR...".

1. Why is my car reading 17V+ in the battery when it's running?

This could be caused by a faulty voltage regulator or a short circuit in the electrical system. It's important to have a professional mechanic diagnose the issue to ensure proper repair.

2. Is it safe to drive my car with a reading of 17V+ in the battery?

No, it is not safe to drive your car with a high voltage reading in the battery. This can cause damage to your car's electrical components and potentially lead to a fire hazard. It's best to have the issue addressed immediately.

3. How can I fix a car that is reading 17V+ in the battery when running?

The first step is to have a mechanic diagnose the issue. They may need to replace the voltage regulator or repair any short circuits in the electrical system. It's important to address this issue promptly to avoid further damage to your car.

4. Can a DIY fix the issue of a car reading 17V+ in the battery when running?

It is not recommended to try and fix this issue on your own. The electrical system of a car can be complex and dangerous without proper knowledge and experience. It's best to have a professional mechanic handle the repairs.

5. How much should I expect to pay to fix a car reading 17V+ in the battery when running?

The cost of the repair will vary depending on the cause of the issue and the make and model of your car. It's best to get a quote from a reputable mechanic to determine the exact cost. Keep in mind that addressing the issue promptly can prevent further damage and potentially save you money in the long run.