Car traffic producing shock wave

In summary, the author is asking how to compute distance d which extends from the front end of the buffer zone to the rear bumper of the next car to the front while the cars are queued in the fast line. They introduce two new constants, the density of the upstream flow (ρu) and the density of the downstream flow (ρd), and ask how to equate the two flow rates.
rudransh verma
Gold Member
Homework Statement
An abrupt slowdown in concentrated traffic can travel as a pulse, termed as a shock wave, along the line of cars, either downstream (in the traffic direction) or upstream, or it can be stationary. Fig shows a uniformly spaced line of cars moving at speed v =25 m/s towards a uniformly spaced line of slow cars moving at speed vc =5m/s. Assume that each faster cars adds length L =12 m(car length plus buffer zone ) to the line of slow cars when it joins the line and assume that it slows abruptly at the last instant. a) For what separation distance d between the faster cars does the shock wave remain stationary. If the separation is twice that amount, what are the b)speed and c)direction (upstream or downstream )of the shock wave?
Relevant Equations
v= distance /time
I don’t get where exactly the lengths start and end in figure.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 83
Physics news on Phys.org
They have drawn each car with an imaginary buffer zone in front. This reflects the spacing that will exist once the cars have queued up in the slow line.

We are not given the true length of the cars from front bumper to rear bumper. Nor do we need to know that number.

We are asked to compute distance ##d## which extends from the front end of the buffer zone to the rear bumper of the next car to the front while the cars are queued in the fast line.

Since you have shown no work, I will not attempt to give any hints on how to proceed.

Last edited:
Likes SammyS
jbriggs444 said:
We are asked to compute distance d which extends from the front end of the buffer zone to the rear bumper of the next car to the front while the cars are queued in the fast line.
So the time it takes for the slow cars to move one L is same as the time taken by the fast cars to travel L(assuming we are measuring the distance traveled from how much the rear wheels of the car travels)+d. That’s how the shock waves will be stationary.
For the second part, the fast car travels L+2d and at the same time slow cars travel distance >L. Then what should I do?

Last edited:
rudransh verma said:
For the second part, the fast car travels L+2d and at the same time slow cars travel distance >L. Then what should I do?
The mental image that I would pursue is flow rate.

You have an upstream flow into a boundary. You have a downstream flow from a boundary. You can ask how fast the boundary must move to ensure that the two flow rates are identical.

My inclination would be to introduce two new named constants into the problem -- the density of the upstream flow (##\rho_u##) and the density of the downstream flow (##\rho_d##). That will keep you from getting bogged down in details when you write down the equation that equates the two flow rates.

Last edited:
jbriggs444 said:
You have an upstream flow into a boundary. You have a downstream flow from a boundary. You can ask how fast the boundary must move to ensure that the two flow rates are identical.

My inclination would be to introduce two new named constants into the problem -- the density of the upstream flow (ρu) and the density of the downstream flow (ρd). That will keep you from getting bogged down in details when you write down the equation that equates the two flow rates.
What is a boundary, flow, density of flow? I don’t understand !

rudransh verma said:
What is a boundary, flow, density of flow? I don’t understand !
A boundary is where one thing ends and another begins. In this case, the relevant boundary would be between the front of the line of fast cars and the back end of the line of slow cars.

A flow is a rate at which stuff passes through a boundary. In this case could be measured in "cars per second".

Density often means mass per unit volume. But the term is more general than that. It can be a generic measure of how much stuff you have compared to how much space you have to hold it. In this case it could be measured in "cars per meter"

Hey! Actually I am facing with some problem. Before I read this thread, I thought that this would be done with equation of fast and slow car position. But, after I read this thread, I am pretty interested. Could anyone please help me to use this guidance? thanks!

Likes Delta2
Please keep the discussion in your new thread. You can post a link in your new thread pointing back to this old one, and say what you have learned from reading through this old thread and how you think you should apply it to your own thread start. Thanks.

Likes SammyS

1. What is a shock wave produced by car traffic?

A shock wave produced by car traffic is a phenomenon that occurs when cars are travelling at high speeds in close proximity to each other. As the cars move forward, they push air molecules in front of them, creating a wave of compressed air that travels through the air. This wave can cause a sudden increase in air pressure, resulting in a loud noise and potentially causing damage to nearby structures.

2. How does car traffic produce a shock wave?

Car traffic produces a shock wave due to the aerodynamic forces created by the movement of the cars. As the cars move forward, they push air molecules in front of them, creating a wave of compressed air. The speed and proximity of the cars determine the strength and intensity of the shock wave.

3. What are the effects of a shock wave produced by car traffic?

The effects of a shock wave produced by car traffic can vary depending on the intensity and duration of the shock wave. In some cases, it can cause loud noise and vibrations, which can be disruptive and annoying for nearby residents. In extreme cases, it can also cause damage to buildings and structures, especially if they are not designed to withstand such forces.

4. Can car traffic shock waves be harmful to humans?

In most cases, car traffic shock waves are not harmful to humans. However, prolonged exposure to loud noise and vibrations can cause discomfort and potentially lead to hearing damage. In rare cases, if a shock wave is strong enough, it can also cause physical harm to individuals standing nearby, such as pushing them off balance or causing objects to fall.

5. How can we reduce the impact of car traffic shock waves?

There are a few ways to reduce the impact of car traffic shock waves. One way is to decrease the speed of the cars, as the intensity of the shock wave is directly related to the speed of the cars. Another way is to increase the distance between cars, which reduces the number of shock waves produced. Additionally, designing buildings and structures to withstand shock waves can also help minimize their impact.