Thermal shock wave question from my hydrodynamics simulation

In summary: The simulation is called a hydrodynamic because the two areas are filled with gas and the heat transfer occurs through a small opening.Fluid dynamics is a more accurate term for the same simulation.
kjssag
TL;DR Summary
I wonder why the shock wave is generated.
anigif.gif

This is a fluid dynamic simulation.
The top area has 100 degrees Celsius.
The bottom area has 0 degrees Celsius.
And both are filled with an ideal gas which is 1-atmosphere pressure.

Two areas are connected through the left small line. Another part is blocked.
So heat transfer can only happen through the left small area.

Now I understand both areas will go to about 50 degrees Celsius eventually.
But I don't know why the shock wave is generated early.

Can you explain why the shock wave is generated?

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you call it a hydrodynamic simulation? You say that the two areas are filled with gas (not with water) and interact through a small opening at the left side where the shock wave starts.
Wouldn't it be more proper to call it a fluid dynamics simulation?

Likes kjssag
Delta2 said:
Why do you call it a hydrodynamic simulation? You say that the two areas are filled with gas (not with water) and interact through a small opening at the left side where the shock wave starts.
Thanks. That is my mistake. The fluid dynamic is right.

Likes Delta2
Something else , the opening on the left, does it allow gas to pass through or it allows only heat to flow?

Delta2 said:
Something else , the opening on the left, does it allow gas to pass through or it allows only heat to flow?
gas can move. so there is convection and conduction. I don't consider radiation.

Likes Delta2
kjssag said:
gas can move. so there is convection and conduction. I don't consider radiation.
Doesn't seem to be much convection since the sphere(s) of temperature variation seem quite circular and moving radially outwards.
Also, movement of the gases can depend upon the relative density and viscosity of each.
Also, the size of 'hole' can determine the action of the movement, whether it would be more on the 'diffusion' side of behavior rather than bulk convection.
A lot depends upon how you set up the simulation.

To me it just seems to be the temperature of the gases is changing radially from the hole as if the gases were modeled as solid objects.

• Informative
Likes kjssag and Delta2
256bits said:
Doesn't seem to be much convection since the sphere(s) of temperature variation seem quite circular and moving radially outwards.
Also, movement of the gases can depend upon the relative density and viscosity of each.
Also, the size of 'hole' can determine the action of the movement, whether it would be more on the 'diffusion' side of behavior rather than bulk convection.
A lot depends upon how you set up the simulation.

To me it just seems to be the temperature of the gases is changing radially from the hole as if the gases were modeled as solid objects.
Thank you for your answer.
I agree the simulation doesn't show the noticeable bulk convection.
So do you think that simulation doesn't look like real nature?
I hoped to model real gas which is around us.

Likes 256bits and Delta2
kjssag said:
Thank you for your answer.
I agree the simulation doesn't show the noticeable bulk convection.
So do you think that simulation doesn't look like real nature?
I hoped to model real gas which is around us.
Depends upon the constraints that are put on the situation.
Your simulation is quite nice. I do like it,

Example.
A hole 1 mm diameter would exhibit something different than that of a hole 1 cm diameter( or more ) ( convection could become more important ).
Are the gases the same in the upper and top sections?
If different gases are in each compartment, definitely there should be a diffusion effect ( if not convection with mixing ) as the gases move from higher concentration compartment to the lower. Which is the reason I mentioned this in the first place, Unfortunately, how this affects heat flow would have to be investigated as it should be density and specific heat dependent. SEE https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_conductivity Theoretical prediction for gases. Due to the mixing, this can have an effect upon the actual heat flow in and expanding viscinity around the hole as time progresses.

I think one try to can get more and more accurate in modelling, and really end up with some complex formula(s) ( which real systems actually are ) , so we model with the most simplified equations that entertain the process to necessary satisfaction.

Your off to a good start.
Someone with much more experience in these sorts of things would be quite able to exact what would be important, and what not in particular cases.

Likes kjssag
Delta2 said:
Hydrodynamic simulation is an old term for simulations that solve the conservation of mass, momentum and energy.

Likes Delta2 and kjssag
What does ‘abnormal gas’ exactly mean?

caz said:
What does ‘abnormal gas’ exactly mean?
Also my mistake. It is not abnormal gas. The gas in the simulation is an ideal gas.

Likes Delta2
kjssag said:
But I don't know why the shock wave is generated early.
As the thermal energy diffuses through the port, the isotherms that separate the different colours in the diagram move. That is why it looks like a wave radiating in both directions from the port. It looks reasonable to me.

Likes kjssag
Are you sure that the initial pressures are identical? Also check the speed of the wave. Is it faster than the sound speed of the undisturbed material?

Have you tried setting up a ‘1d’ problem and comparing to analytical solitions?

Last edited:
Likes kjssag
Is your simulation solving for the velocity field as well? If yes can you post the plot of the velocity field?

Likes kjssag
Baluncore said:
As the thermal energy diffuses through the port, the isotherms that separate the different colours in the diagram move. That is why it looks like a wave radiating in both directions from the port. It looks reasonable to me.
That is very helpful to understand my simulation.
Thank you and I will more think about your reply.

caz said:
Are you sure that the initial pressures are identical? Also check the speed of the wave. Is it faster than the sound speed of the undisturbed material?

Have you tried setting up a ‘1d’ problem and comparing to analytical solitions?
Yes, I set all regions to have the same pressure. But I believe I should check my simulation setting again. I will check again with your suggestions such as speed or 1D problem. Thanks for your reply.

Delta2 said:
Is your simulation solving for the velocity field as well? If yes can you post the plot of the velocity field?
Well, I didn't check the velocity field, but I can. So I will check and upload that later. I think maybe it will take some time.

Likes Delta2
caz said:
Are you sure that the initial pressures are identical?
If the pressure was not initially balanced, the isotherms across the port would immediately bulge one way or the other at the start of the simulation.

With time, the hot gas above will cool and contract, reducing the pressure above. The cold gas below will warm and expand, raising the pressure below. Then there will be some flow from the bottom chamber to the top chamber.

Likes kjssag
Have you tried the calculation without convection, and only conduction? How do the results compare?

1. What is a thermal shock wave?

A thermal shock wave is a sudden and intense change in temperature that occurs in a fluid or gas due to a rapid compression or expansion. It is characterized by a sharp increase or decrease in temperature over a short period of time.

2. How is a thermal shock wave created in a hydrodynamics simulation?

In a hydrodynamics simulation, a thermal shock wave is typically created by applying a sudden change in pressure or energy to the fluid or gas. This can be done by introducing a high-speed object, such as a projectile, or by rapidly heating or cooling a specific area of the fluid.

3. What factors influence the intensity of a thermal shock wave?

The intensity of a thermal shock wave depends on several factors, including the magnitude and duration of the pressure or energy change, the properties of the fluid or gas, and the surrounding environment. Additionally, the speed and direction of the shock wave can also affect its intensity.

4. What are the potential applications of studying thermal shock waves in hydrodynamics simulations?

Studying thermal shock waves in hydrodynamics simulations can have various applications, including understanding the behavior of fluids and gases in extreme conditions, such as in explosions or high-speed collisions. It can also help in the design and development of more efficient and durable materials for aerospace, defense, and energy industries.

5. How can thermal shock waves be mitigated or controlled in real-world scenarios?

There are several ways to mitigate or control thermal shock waves in real-world scenarios, such as using insulating materials to reduce the temperature change, designing structures to withstand high pressures, or implementing cooling systems to dissipate heat. Additionally, understanding the behavior of thermal shock waves through simulations can also aid in developing effective mitigation strategies.