Career in Energy: Oceanography, Geology, or Physics?

In summary, if you want to work in the oil industry then Petroleum Engineering is a good major to pursue. Geology is also a good major to pursue, as it can be useful for work in the nuclear industry. Physics can also be applied to the oil industry, depending on the field you choose.
glennpagano44
I am a senior in college and want to work in the field of energy, either oil or nuclear. I was wondering what the best major would be? I was thinking oceanography, geology or physics. I was thinking oceanography because I want to work with the ocean in someway, how can I do this? How is the Millersville Physics program? Also what would one have to do to become a geophysicist?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That depends on whether or not you go with oil or nuclear, since they have different requirements. If you want to do R&D with nuclear then physics (with a focus of nuclear physics) is better. Oceanography is really only useful for off shore oil exploration, if that. geology is useful for both nuclear (if you want to go Uranium hunting) and oil.

Can a physics degree also be applied to the oil field? I just do not know what I want to do yet. I like physics and geology the same and I guess its just about the job opportunites that will be avaliable after college. Do you think a double major in physics and geology be too much?

Er... aren't you a bit too late to decide on a major? You said you are a senior in college, didn't you?

Zz.

Good catch, I meant I am a senior in High School. Thanks

glennpagano44 said:
I am a senior in college and want to work in the field of energy, either oil or nuclear. I was wondering what the best major would be? I was thinking oceanography, geology or physics. I was thinking oceanography because I want to work with the ocean in someway, how can I do this? How is the Millersville Physics program? Also what would one have to do to become a geophysicist?

As far the oil industry goes, Petroleum, Mechanical, and Electrical Engineering are all useful. Traditionally, Petroleum Engineers have filled a lot of the billets in the offshore exploration business. Also Geophysicists are in demand as well.

CS

1. What is the job outlook for careers in energy focused on oceanography, geology, or physics?

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, careers in oceanography, geology, and physics are projected to have a faster than average job growth rate of 5-7% from 2020-2030. This is due to the increasing demand for renewable energy sources and the need for energy-efficient technology.

2. What kind of education and skills are required for a career in energy focused on oceanography, geology, or physics?

Most careers in energy require at least a bachelor's degree in a related field such as oceanography, geology, or physics. Some positions may require a graduate degree for more advanced research or management roles. Strong analytical, problem-solving, and communication skills are also important for these careers.

3. What types of job opportunities are available in the field of energy for oceanography, geology, or physics?

There are a variety of job opportunities in the field of energy for those with a background in oceanography, geology, or physics. Some common roles include energy analyst, research scientist, environmental consultant, renewable energy engineer, and policy analyst. There are also opportunities in academia, government agencies, and private companies.

4. How does the energy industry impact the environment and what is being done to mitigate these effects?

The energy industry, particularly the use of fossil fuels, has a significant impact on the environment through air and water pollution, greenhouse gas emissions, and habitat destruction. However, there are steps being taken to mitigate these effects such as increasing the use of renewable energy sources, implementing energy efficiency measures, and implementing stricter regulations on emissions.

5. What are some current challenges and opportunities in the field of energy for oceanography, geology, or physics?

One major challenge in the field of energy is the need for more sustainable and renewable energy sources to reduce our reliance on fossil fuels. This presents opportunities for research and development in areas such as wave and tidal energy, geothermal energy, and solar energy. There are also opportunities for innovation and advancements in energy storage technology and energy efficiency measures.