Career in research in physics after 14 yrs in IT

In summary, if you want to pursue a career in research in physics, you should brush up on your mathematical physics and quantum mechanics, take part time classes to get a feel for the school environment, and prepare for standardized tests.
Preetam Kumar
Hi,
I am into IT consulting for last 14 years after completing my B.Tech in Electrical Engineering. I have a dream since my childhood to build career in research in physics. The closest I came to my dream when I appeared for JSET-2001 and got interview call from RRI and IIA. I am planning to change my career for which I am planning to appear for the exams like GATE/JEST which is a pre-requisite for Ph D programmer in physics in most of top Indian Institutes like IISc, TIFR, IITs etc. Can you please guide me how to start with in achieving my dream. I have started brushing up the foundations in mathematical physics, quantum mechanics and electrodynamics.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure of the situation in India. Institutions may be looking for younger students and younger new professors (so they can have long and illustrious careers). A few good standardized test scores may not make up for the fact that you haven't done any schooling or research in a very long time. You should consider abandoning the idea of being a career physicist. Claiming that you have "brushed up" will likely do you no good in getting accepted. If you must pursue it, take a part time job and move near a decent school. Ask professors if you can sit in on a class or find a way to take classes without being enrolled in a PhD program. After doing this you will have a better sense of whether you can overcome the barriers. You may find you have to be better than your fellow students in order to have a decent shot against them. Also, try not to bring up your age or exactly how long you have worked.

Any worthwhile goal demands certain sacrifices to achieve. There will be pain, but, nothing like the pain of regret in not having given it a shot. Failure is always an option, age and opportunity are not. I say go for it. At worst you will have the comfort of having tried.

1. What qualifications do I need to pursue a career in research in physics after 14 years in IT?

In order to pursue a career in research in physics after 14 years in IT, you will typically need at least a Bachelor's degree in physics or a related field. Some research positions may require a Master's or Ph.D. degree, so it is important to research specific job requirements and educational qualifications.

2. Will my previous experience in IT be useful in a research career in physics?

Absolutely! Your experience in IT may provide you with valuable skills such as data analysis, computer programming, and problem-solving that can be applied to research in physics. Additionally, your experience in a technical field may give you a unique perspective and understanding of complex scientific concepts.

3. What are the job prospects for a career in research in physics after 14 years in IT?

The job prospects for research in physics are typically very good, as there is a constant demand for scientific research in various industries and sectors. Additionally, your background in IT may make you a valuable candidate for research positions that involve data analysis and computer modeling.

4. How can I transition from a career in IT to a career in research in physics?

To transition from a career in IT to research in physics, it is important to gain a strong foundation in physics and scientific research methods. You may consider taking courses or pursuing a degree in physics, participating in research projects or internships, and networking with professionals in the field.

5. What are the potential challenges of pursuing a career in research in physics after 14 years in IT?

One potential challenge may be the need to catch up on any foundational knowledge or skills in physics that you may have missed out on while working in IT. Additionally, you may face competition from individuals who have dedicated their entire education and career to physics research. However, your experience in IT may also give you a unique advantage in certain research areas and industries.