Carrier concentration in a semiconductor

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of majority and minority carrier concentrations in a semiconductor material with a given acceptor concentration. The equations for calculating these concentrations are provided and a specific example is solved for a donor concentration of 10^8. The resulting majority and minority carrier concentrations are close to the intrinsic carrier concentration (ni) and the difference in Fermi energy levels is also calculated. The same process is then applied to a donor concentration of 10^14, resulting in a much higher majority carrier concentration and a significantly lower minority carrier concentration.
orangeincup

Homework Statement

The question is in the picture attached. When Na=0, that means the acceptor concentration(i.e. open holes?) is zero?

Homework Equations

(Nd-Na)/2 + sqrt((Nd-Na/2)^2+ni^2)
(Na-Nd)/2 + sqrt((Na-Nd/2)^2+ni^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Solving for Nd=10^8:

majority carrier =
(10^8)/2 + sqrt((10^8/2)^2+1.5*10^10^2)= 1.505*10^10... almost same as ni?
minority carrier=
(-10^8)/2 + sqrt((-10^8/2)^2+1.5*10^10^2)=1.495*10^10... close to niLog10(10^8) =
8... is this all they want?

log10(1.495*10^10) =

Fermi energy difference
(Efi-Ev)
8.612*10^-5*300ln(1.505*10^10/1.5*10^10)=8.598*10-5Do these answers look right for the first one? Is it the same the whole way down?

Attachments

• 266.png
    266.png
    31.4 KB · Views: 418
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok I calculated the rest the same way, here's how I did the Nd=10^14majority carrier =
(10^14)/2 + sqrt((10^14/2)^2+1.5*10^10^2)= 1.00*10^14
minority carrier=
(-10^14)/2 + sqrt((-10^14/2)^2+1.5*10^10^2)
2.24*10^6

log(10^14) = 32.32 donor concentration
log(1.00*10^14)=32.23 majority carrier

So does this make sense? My donor conentration is now equation to my majority carrier concentration
Where as my minority carrier is a lot lower

log(2.24*10^6)=14.62

What is carrier concentration in a semiconductor?

Carrier concentration in a semiconductor refers to the number of charge carriers (electrons or holes) present in a given volume of the semiconductor material. It is a measure of the density of mobile charge carriers that contribute to the conductivity of the material.

How is carrier concentration measured in a semiconductor?

Carrier concentration can be measured using various techniques such as Hall effect measurements, capacitance-voltage measurements, and conductivity measurements. These methods involve applying an external electric field or voltage to the semiconductor material and measuring the resulting changes in electrical properties.

What factors affect the carrier concentration in a semiconductor?

The carrier concentration in a semiconductor is influenced by factors such as temperature, impurity doping, and applied electric fields. At higher temperatures, more charge carriers are thermally excited, leading to an increase in carrier concentration. Impurity doping introduces additional charge carriers into the material, while applied electric fields can manipulate the movement and concentration of existing carriers.

How does carrier concentration affect the conductivity of a semiconductor?

The carrier concentration directly affects the conductivity of a semiconductor. A higher carrier concentration results in a higher conductivity, as there are more charge carriers available to carry electric current. Conversely, a lower carrier concentration leads to lower conductivity.

Can carrier concentration be controlled in a semiconductor?

Yes, carrier concentration can be controlled in a semiconductor through techniques such as doping, which involves intentionally introducing impurities into the material to alter the number of charge carriers. Additionally, the use of applied electric fields can also manipulate the carrier concentration in a semiconductor.