Catching up to object moving away

• Thread starter Dazed&Confused
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, Sandra is trying to travel to George as quickly as possible by using her thruster pack. She will reach him in 527 seconds if she starts at once, or 66.25 seconds if she starts later.
Dazed&Confused

Homework Statement

This is the final part of the problem so I won't give it exactly unless requested.

The relevant information thus far is that astronaut George is traveling at ##(21i + 42j)ms^{-1}## relative to astronaut Sandra and he is at position ##(1260i + 2520j)m## from her.

Sandra has a thruster pack capable of delivering a constant force of 120N in an arbitrary direction, but only has 30 s supply of fuel remaining. To help the still unconscious George she must reach him and ensure her velocity is equal to his as she get gets to him. She is prepared to use up all her fuel in order to do this as quickly as possible. In what directions and for how long should she apply the force from her thruster pack? If she starts at once, how long will it take her to reach George adopting this strategy?

Sandra has a mass of 60kg

Homework Equations

## r = \frac{1}{2}at^2 +v_0t + r_0##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I'm going to work in one dimension, so replacing the position with 2817m and the velocity by ##47ms^{-1}##. To find the initial time to apply the thruster pack, solve $$ at -a(30 - t) = 46.7ms^{-1}$$ for t and you get 26.7 seconds. This is the given value.

The next part is where my value is completely different. To work out the time it takes her to travel to George, equate the total distance traveled by George with her and solve for the secondary ##t'## which is the difference between 26.7s and the total time.

Thus

$$\frac{1}{2}at^2 -\frac{1}{2}a(30-t)^2 + att' = 2817m + 47(t+t')$$

Solving for ##t'## gives the value 527s. The given answer for the total time of travel is 66.25s.

I have absolutely no idea how this could even be possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dazed&Confused said:

Homework Statement

This is the final part of the problem so I won't give it exactly unless requested.

The relevant information thus far is that astronaut George is traveling at ##(21i + 42j)ms^{-1}## relative to astronaut Sandra and he is at position ##(1260i + 2520j)m## from her.

Sandra has a thruster pack capable of delivering a constant force of 120N in an arbitrary direction, but only has 30 s supply of fuel remaining. To help the still unconscious George she must reach him and ensure her velocity is equal to his as she get gets to him. She is prepared to use up all her fuel in order to do this as quickly as possible. In what directions and for how long should she apply the force from her thruster pack? If she starts at once, how long will it take her to reach George adopting this strategy?

Sandra has a mass of 60kg

Homework Equations

## r = \frac{1}{2}at^2 +v_0t + r_0##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I'm going to work in one dimension, so replacing the position with 2817m and the velocity by ##47ms^{-1}##. To find the initial time to apply the thruster pack, solve $$ at -a(30 - t) = 46.7ms^{-1}$$ for t and you get 26.7 seconds. This is the given value.

The next part is where my value is completely different. To work out the time it takes her to travel to George, equate the total distance traveled by George with her and solve for the secondary ##t'## which is the difference between 26.7s and the total time.

Thus

$$\frac{1}{2}at^2 -\frac{1}{2}a(30-t)^2 + att' = 2817m + 47(t+t')$$

Solving for ##t'## gives the value 527s. The given answer for the total time of travel is 66.25s.

I have absolutely no idea how this could even be possible.
Why subtract ##\displaystyle\ \frac{1}{2}a(30-t)^2\ ## ?

Isn't she moving forward as she decelerates?

I thought the differential equation for the last few seconds was ##\frac{d^2x}{dt^2} = -2ms^{-2}## and her velocity at that point in time was ##at##.

Dazed&Confused said:
I thought the differential equation for the last few seconds was ##a = -2ms^{-2}## and her velocity at that point in time was ##at##.
OK. -- I think.

Since your last equation and the parameters weren't explained well, I missed that.

So subtracting does seem to be correct.

Sorry about that. Also I've noticed I've used two values for the speed of George.

Dazed&Confused said:
Sorry about that. Also I've noticed I've used two values for the speed of George.
Yup it's ##\ 21\sqrt{5} \approx 46.96 \ ## .

I realize I'm not being a 'good' thread starter. Should I add anything else?

Edit: they are actually both in a gravitational field ##-g \hat{k}##, but this doesn't make any difference to their relative positions and velocity, right? ( because they are both accelerating at the same rate)

Dazed&Confused said:
I realize I'm not being a 'good' thread starter. Should I add anything else?
Sandra accelerates (at a) for time, t . Then "coasts" for time, t', at constant speed at . Then decelerates for time, (30 - t) .

Plus whatever to match speed & distance.

Actually in my equation I included the deceleration in time ##t'## . You can think of it as coasting for time ##t' -(30 - t)## and then decelerating for ##(30-t)##, but I grouped the terms together.

1. How can I catch up to an object moving away from me?

To catch up to an object moving away from you, you need to increase your speed to match or exceed the speed of the object. This can be done by accelerating or using a faster mode of transportation.

2. What factors affect my ability to catch up to an object moving away?

The speed of the object, your own speed, and the distance between you and the object all affect your ability to catch up. Other factors such as obstacles or traffic can also impact your ability to catch up.

3. How can I determine the speed of an object moving away from me?

You can determine the speed of an object moving away from you by measuring the distance between you and the object over a set period of time. The formula for speed is distance divided by time.

4. Is it possible to catch up to an object moving away if it is traveling at the speed of light?

No, it is not possible to catch up to an object moving away if it is traveling at the speed of light. According to the theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.

5. What should I do if I cannot catch up to an object moving away?

If you cannot catch up to an object moving away, it is best to either wait for the object to slow down or find a different mode of transportation that can match its speed. Trying to catch up by exceeding the speed of the object can be dangerous and is not recommended.