Cathode ray tube, Voltage needed to move the beam impact spot

In summary: I'm not sure what you mean by potential difference.)In summary, the velocity at which the electrons are emitted is 5.9x107 m.s-1, and it is necessary to provide a voltage of 5.3x10-16 volts between the deflector plates in order to move the beam impact spot across a 70 cm screen.
Opo

Homework Statement

Question: A cathode ray tube in a TV has an electron gun operating at 10 kV.

a: What is the velocity (in m.s-1) at which the electrons are emitted? Answer:5.9x107

b: How many volts are needed between the deflector plates to move the beam impact spot across a 70 cm screen if the screen is 120 cm from the deflector?

Homework Equations

Tan(θ)=vE/vI
1/2mv2
QE=qV

The Attempt at a Solution

First attempt:
So first I worked out the angle the beam has to move which was 30.3 degrees. Then I used the equation Tan(angle) = velocity in the direction of the field/ initial velocity. Which was Tan(30.3) X 5.9x107 = 3.4x107

Then I used 1/2 x 9.1x10-31 x (3.4x107 )2 to get 5.3x10-16 <I think I'm going wrong here. When I read through the lecture slides things become limited.

then PE = qV, so PE/q = V, so 5.3x10-16 / 1.6x10-19 = 3287

Then I was given this advice:
"
The problem is that velocity is a vector quantity, while energy is not.

So it seems that you appropriately worked out the velocity in the direction of the field. (I'll call this ve, and the initial velocity vi)

What you should do then is find the total velocity vtot=sqrt( ve2 + vi 2 ). You then use this number to find the total KE of the electron. Subtract the initial KE (find with vi) and this gives you the energy (PE) which must be added by the electric field."
So I tried this, sqrt(5.9x1072+3.4x1072) = 6.81x107

So Total KE = 0.5x9.1x10-31x6.81x1072 =2.11x10-15
Initial KE = 0.5x9.1x10-31x5,9x1072 = 1.583855x10^-15

2.11x10-15 - 1.583855x10-15 = 5.26145x10-16

Then QE=qV, so QE/q = V

So 5.26145x10-16/1.6x10-19 = 3288.40625 But this is also wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the screen is 70 cm wide, doesn't the defection have to be only half of that in one direction, half in the other direction, in order to cover the full width of the screen?

gneill said:
If the screen is 70 cm wide, doesn't the defection have to be only half of that in one direction, half in the other direction, in order to cover the full width of the screen?
So how should I adjust my answer ? I went from 70cm to 35cm (if that's what you meant?) which changed the angle from 30.3ο to 16.3ο but the answer is still wrong.

Opo said:
So how should I adjust my answer ? I went from 70cm to 35cm (if that's what you meant?) which changed the angle from 30.3ο to 16.3ο but the answer is still wrong.
What transverse velocity did you find for this deflection angle? (That's the velocity component due to the deflection).

I think you need to make a detailed sketch of the scenario. How much of the available potential difference can the electron "fall though" between the deflection plates if it enters the plates midway between them?

1. How does a cathode ray tube work?

A cathode ray tube (CRT) works by using an electron gun to emit a stream of electrons towards a phosphorescent screen. The electrons are accelerated and focused by an anode and a series of magnets, creating a beam that can be directed to different parts of the screen. When the beam hits the phosphorescent screen, it causes the pixels to light up, creating the image that we see.

2. What is the purpose of the voltage in a CRT?

The voltage in a CRT is used to accelerate the electrons in the electron gun, allowing them to have enough energy to reach the phosphorescent screen. It also helps to control the brightness and focus of the electron beam, which affects the clarity and sharpness of the image on the screen.

3. How is the beam impact spot moved on a CRT?

The beam impact spot on a CRT is moved by changing the voltage applied to the electron gun. By adjusting the voltage, the strength of the electric field can be altered, which in turn affects the speed and direction of the electron beam. This allows the beam to be directed to different parts of the screen, creating the desired image.

4. What is the optimal voltage needed for a CRT?

The optimal voltage needed for a CRT depends on factors such as the size and type of the CRT, as well as the desired image quality. Generally, the voltage needed to move the beam impact spot is in the range of several thousand volts, but this can vary. It is important to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the specific CRT being used.

5. Can the voltage of a CRT be dangerous?

Yes, the voltage of a CRT can be dangerous if not handled properly. CRTs contain high voltages, typically ranging from 10,000 to 35,000 volts, which can cause electric shock or injury if not handled with care. It is important to always follow proper safety precautions when working with CRTs, such as ensuring the device is turned off and unplugged before making any adjustments or repairs.