Deflection of electron beam in cathode ray tube

In summary: I think I might have been getting confused with the different terminology for the x, y, and z directions.
skate_nerd

Homework Statement

Part a) Deflection of the electron beam in a cathode ray tube television set has electrons accelerated until they have K.E. of 25 keV. What is the magnetic field magnitude required to deflect the electron beam 3.3 cm when the magnetic field is 8 cm long?
Part b) When there is a gap of 22 cm between the end of the magnetic field and the end of the CRT, what is the total deflection of the beam? In other words, how far from the center of the screen does the beam hit?

Homework Equations

F=ma, F=qvB, K.E.=.5mv2, d=vt, d=v0t+.5at2, vf2=v02+2ad.

The Attempt at a Solution

Pretty long problem, I got through this whole thing, parts a and b, went through my work several times, and still have a slightly different answer than what my teacher says is correct.

Part a) First off, using K.E.=.5mv2, I found the velocity in the horizontal or x direction:

.5mvx2=25 keV
vx=√(2(25keV)/m) where m=mass of an electron=9.109(10-31). so:
vx=9.383(107) m/s

Next, found the time needed to reach the end of the plates' magnetic field:

t=d/vx where d=length of plates=8 cm=.08 m
t=(.08m)/(9.383(107)m/s)
t=8.526(10-10) s

Next, found the vertical or y direction acceleration component to achieve the 3.3 cm displacement by the end of the plates' field:

dy=v0yt+.5ayt2 solved for ay and v0y=0 gives
ay=2dy/t2
ay=2(.033m)/(8.526(10-10)s)2
ay=9.08(1016) m/s2

Now to find the final velocity in the vertical or y-direction:

vfy2=v0y2+2aydy solved for vfy where v0y=0
vfy=√(2(aydy))
vfy=√(2(9.08(1016)m/s2)(0.033m))
vfy=7.74(107) m/s

Finally, using F=ma & F=qvB:

ma=qvB, and then solving for B gives
B=ma/qv, using vfy and ay and also mass of an electron=9.109(10-31) kg and charge of an electron=1.602(10-19) C:
B=[(9.109(10-31)kg)(9.08(1016)m/s2)]/[(1.602(10-19)C)(7.74(107)m/s)
B=6.669(10-3) Teslas.

Teacher's answer: 4.699(10-3) Teslas.

Part b) Used vx=dx/t solved for t to find the time to get 22 cm to the screen:

t=(0.22m)/(9.383(107)m/s)
t=2.345(10-9) s

Since this time is the same for the vertical or y direction, I used the same formula solved for dy to get the vertical deflection:

dy=(7.74(107)m/s)(2.345(10-9)s)
dy=0.1815 meters.

Have to add the initial deflection in between the plates' magnetic field to get the total vertical deflection:

0.1815m+0.033m=0.2145 meters or 21.45 cm.
Teacher's answer: 25.16 cm.

So seeing as I also got the second answer wrong which only uses vy and ay, that's telling me I went wrong in my process somewhere up until finding vy.

If anybody could help point out where I messed up that would be great. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The acceleration due to a magnetic field is at right angles to the direction of travel, right? So the trajectory is an arc of a circle. For small deflections over long paths that doesn't matter much, but here the deflection is 40% of the path length.
Calculating it that way (and trusting all else of your calculations) I get 5.7E-3 Teslas.

That all sounds pretty accurate but I'm pretty sure that isn't how we are to solve it because we've never learned anything like that.
Also from however you did it I don't see any easy way to find the total deflection at the end.

skate_nerd said:
Also from however you did it I don't see any easy way to find the total deflection at the end.
You're told the deflection. Do you mean, how to find the radius of curvature? Just a bit of geometry. If it turns through an angle θ of an arc radius r then you have distance to target T = r sin(θ) and deflection d = r(1-cos(θ)).
Anyway, as I said, I had not checked the rest of your calculation. Now that I do so, I see you have used vy as the v in the B=ma/qv equation. That's wrong. Since you're treating it as purely a sideways deflection, the acceleration depends on vx, not vy. Correcting that, but using your method, I get 5.5E-3.
Because I relied on your calculation for that part, I picked up the same error. Correcting that with my method I get 4.71E-3. So it seems your teacher is using my method.

I do see what you mean about the curving position, in between the plates. I actually can do that. However for the total deflection, part B, it says if there is an addition length of 22 cm past the magnetic plates, then where would the beam hit the screen. Past the plates there would be no more acceleration, just the two components of velocity it has after the plates, so it would move in a straight light to a certain displacement from the center of the screen 22 cm ahead. But I think I could do that now. Thanks for the help on the arc length part though.

1. What is a cathode ray tube (CRT)?

A cathode ray tube is a type of vacuum tube that is used to display images or videos on a screen. It works by using an electron beam to excite phosphors on the screen, creating a visible image.

2. How does the electron beam get deflected in a CRT?

The electron beam is deflected by using a combination of electric and magnetic fields. The electric field is created by varying the voltage on a pair of plates, while the magnetic field is created by a pair of coils around the tube. By manipulating the strength and direction of these fields, the electron beam can be directed to different areas of the screen.

3. What is the purpose of deflection in a CRT?

The deflection of the electron beam allows for the creation of images on the screen. By precisely controlling the movement of the beam, different parts of the screen can be illuminated, creating a complete image.

4. How does the deflection of the electron beam affect the image on the screen?

The deflection of the electron beam determines the position of the image on the screen. By controlling the deflection, the image can be shifted, rotated, or resized on the screen.

5. Can the deflection of the electron beam be controlled manually?

Yes, the deflection of the electron beam can be controlled manually through the use of knobs or buttons on the CRT. However, in modern CRTs, the deflection is usually controlled electronically through a computer or other device.