Electrons in a cathode ray tube

In summary, the accelerating voltage in a cathode ray tube is 1000V and the electron current density is 150 μA. To calculate the number of electrons that arrive at the screen in a second, we use the definition of current and divide the electron current density by the charge of a single electron, giving us 9.3 x 10^14 electrons. To find the force exerted on the screen by the electrons, we use the electric power equation and the charge of an electron, giving us a velocity of 1.8 x 10^7 m/s and a force of 1.59 x 10^-8 N. However, it is easier to find the velocity of each electron by using the kinetic
Robin04

Homework Statement

The accelerating voltage in a cathode ray tube is ##1000 V##, the electron current density is ##150 \mu A##.
a) How many electrons arrive at the screen in a second?
b) What's the magnitude of the force exerted on the screen by the electrons if they stop on collision?

(Sorry for my bad English)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) The definition of current is ##I=\frac{Q}{t}## so if we divide the electron current density by the charge of a single electron and multiply it by 1 second that should give the answer:
##N = \frac{1,5 \cdot 10^{-4} A}{1,6 \cdot 10^{-19} C} = 9,3 \cdot 10^{14} \frac{1}{s}##

b) This is where my confusion starts. The force should be given by ##F = N \frac{\Delta p}{\Delta t}## where ##p = mv## is the momentum of one electron but I don't know what's the velocity of the electrons when they arrive at the screen. I can calculate their acceleration from the acceleration voltage like this ##a = \frac{UQ}{sm}## where s is the distance the electron traveled but that's unkown too.

Physics news on Phys.org
Robin04 said:
what's the velocity of the electrons when they arrive
Think about work.

Likes Robin04
haruspex said:
Think about work.

Hmm, so let's say the electric power is ##P = UI = N \frac{1}{2} m v^2## because the work done by the electric field in a second gives kinetic energy to ##N## electrons. So ##v = \sqrt{\frac{2UI}{Nm}} = 1,8 \cdot 10^{7} \frac{m}{s}## and then ##F = N \frac{\Delta p}{\Delta t} = N mv = 1,59 \cdot 10^{-8} N##
Am I correct?

Robin04 said:
Hmm, so let's say the electric power is ##P = UI = N \frac{1}{2} m v^2## because the work done by the electric field in a second gives kinetic energy to ##N## electrons. So ##v = \sqrt{\frac{2UI}{Nm}} = 1,8 \cdot 10^{7} \frac{m}{s}## and then ##F = N \frac{\Delta p}{\Delta t} = N mv = 1,59 \cdot 10^{-8} N##
Am I correct?

This is confusing, and you're working too hard!

If an electron is accelerated by a potential of 1000V, it will gain a kinetic energy of 1000 eV! So this is equal to ½mv2!

Use the charge of an electron "e", multiply that by 1000V and you have the kinetic energy in Joules. It should be trivial for you to find the velocity of each electron hitting the anode by then.

Zz.

Likes Robin04
ZapperZ said:
This is confusing, and you're working too hard!

If an electron is accelerated by a potential of 1000V, it will gain a kinetic energy of 1000 eV! So this is equal to ½mv2!

Use the charge of an electron "e", multiply that by 1000V and you have the kinetic energy in Joules. It should be trivial for you to find the velocity of each electron hitting the anode by then.

Zz.

Thank you very much! I wasn't really familiar with the eV unit, but it seems obvious. :)

1. What is a cathode ray tube?

A cathode ray tube (CRT) is a vacuum tube that uses electrons to create images on a screen. It was the primary technology used in television and computer displays until it was replaced by newer technologies like LCD and LED screens.

2. How do electrons travel in a cathode ray tube?

In a cathode ray tube, electrons are emitted from a heated cathode and accelerated towards an anode by an electric field. They then travel through a focusing system and are deflected by magnetic fields to create an image on the screen.

3. What is the function of the cathode in a cathode ray tube?

The cathode in a cathode ray tube is responsible for emitting electrons through a process called thermionic emission. This is achieved by heating the cathode, which causes it to release electrons into the vacuum of the tube.

4. How are images created on a cathode ray tube?

Images on a cathode ray tube are created by varying the intensity and position of the electron beam as it strikes a phosphor-coated screen. The beam moves horizontally across the screen, line by line, to create a complete image.

5. What are the advantages of using cathode ray tubes?

Cathode ray tubes were once the preferred technology for displays due to their fast response time, good color reproduction, and low cost. They were also able to produce deep blacks and high contrast ratios. However, they have largely been replaced by newer technologies that offer better resolution and energy efficiency.