Why Must B Approach Zero in Cauchy-Euler ODE Solutions at x=0?

• Thread starter Andreol263
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Odes
In summary, the conversation discusses the application of boundary conditions to ODEs and their solutions. It is stated that when certain boundary conditions, such as x=0, are applied, the solution takes the form of Ax^k + Bx^(-k), where B must go to zero. This is due to the fact that the negative exponent of the B coefficient term implies a divergent solution at x=0, which contradicts the physical interpretation of solutions such as electron wave functions. It is then explained that setting B=0 resolves this issue. The conversation ends with the realization that this solution may seem simple, but it effectively resolves any confusion or existential questions.
Andreol263
Why these ODEs when applied some boundary conditions, like x = 0, their solution of the form Ax^k + Bx^(-k), B WILL have to go to zero?Like some problems which involve spherical harmonics...

Physics news on Phys.org
The negative exponent of the B coefficient term implies divergent solution at x=0. If you are considering solutions with physical interpretation such as electron wave functions then the physical application is contradicted by the divergence at infinity. Those solutions don't apply and you set B = 0.

Yeah i understand why when x->infinity the solution is inconsistent, cause it's blow up, but i simply don't get it WHY x=0 implies in a divergent solution and B has to be 0, there's a more deep explanation?

[itex]B x^{-k}=\frac{B}{x^k} = \frac{B}{0}[/itex] when [itex]x=0[/itex].

Oh damn, I'm stupid , i was thinking in that, but it appears so simple that i forget this option because some texts are very confusing , and thank you so much for killing that existential question for me :D...

Related to Why Must B Approach Zero in Cauchy-Euler ODE Solutions at x=0?

Question 1: What is a Cauchy-Euler ODE?

An ODE (ordinary differential equation) of the form axny(n) + bx(n-1)y(n-1) + ... + cx'y + dy = 0, where a, b, c, and d are constants and n is a non-negative integer.

Question 2: How do you solve a Cauchy-Euler ODE?

To solve a Cauchy-Euler ODE, you can use the substitution y = xm. This will transform the ODE into a polynomial equation, which can then be solved using methods such as factoring or the quadratic formula.

Question 3: What is the characteristic equation in a Cauchy-Euler ODE?

The characteristic equation in a Cauchy-Euler ODE is the polynomial equation that results from substituting y = xm into the ODE. It is used to find the values of m that will yield a solution to the ODE.

Question 4: Can a Cauchy-Euler ODE have non-integer exponents?

Yes, a Cauchy-Euler ODE can have non-integer exponents. In this case, the substitution y = xm is still used, but the characteristic equation will result in complex roots, which will yield complex solutions for y.

Question 5: What are some real-world applications of Cauchy-Euler ODEs?

Cauchy-Euler ODEs can be used to model various physical phenomena, such as the motion of a pendulum, the decay of radioactive materials, and the flow of fluids. They are also commonly used in engineering and economics to model systems with changing variables over time.